QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Man I just got back Sunday from an 11 day trip there. It was a blast and the kids had a great time. But man that was my 1st time in a long time I was really hot the whole trip. I'll still take that heat over rainy humid days there (feels like a waste of money when you go to WDW and UO for a trip and it rains the whole time). So it was nice to go full days. But it was in the mid upper 80s everyday with little cloud coverage. Made sure to do a couple 1/2 days and hang pools side to cool off.

TBH we've actually gone a ton of times in April and May (I purposely avoid July and August in Orlando). And this trip in Feb/March was hotter than any trip I've had in April/May.

Now you're going 3 weeks. So you'll probably get a little of everything. Rain, Hot and humid.

JULY, AUGUST, AND SEPTEMBER FROM  12PM TILL 6.30 PM THE HEAT IS BRUTAL AND A GREAT CHANCE OF RAIN  IN THE LATE AFTER NOON. BELIEVE IT OR NOT SEPTEMBER IS OUR MUGGEST MONTH IN ORLANDO.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we get a lot more details into what has gone on today.

Purely a guess… but I think we were always recruiting Carr as a backup option to Rodgers. Talks and everything went good. But we were waiting for Rodgers. Really the FO was doing what they should. But Rodgers didn’t make a decision in time. Which I get from Carr and his camp. He wants to be wanted. Not to be a fall back option. They probably gave us a Deadline to make an offer and being he was our fall back option, we opted to not make an offer. I do think we already have some intellect to Rodgers situation. I think we felt comfortable that he wanted a trade to us and GB was willing to work with us. So that’s why there wasn’t a bunch of panic to try and sign Carr.

What I think the only hold up in a trade for Rodgers is, is compensation.

Now yes we did lose leverage yesterday with not being able to say we can turn to Carr. But GB never had leverage to begin with. Rodgers could always just threaten retirement if he thinks GB is asking too much and he doesn’t want his next team to not continue to build. That doesn’t mean I think he goes for cheap. But the narrative that GB holds all the cards now, isn’t true. Rodgers holds all the cards.

Now what I think is holding up a trade is coming to terms to compensation. Something none of us really brought up is GB eating some of the money so they can get a better draft pick. So I know a bunch were/are 100% against giving away 13. But if that means GB eats a good portion of his money….. that’s not a bad trade at all IMO. Now if we have to take on all of his deal. There’s no way I think we should give up 13. Where we have leverage now is LV is out on him. They’re drafting 7, so if they were offering that. We in essence would had to offer 13 and more. But they’re out. MIA I don’t think is serious about Rodgers. I think they’re just trying to drive the price up for us. But they don’t even have a 1st rounder. Our 2nd rounder is higher than any pick they have. So we hold the cards in trying to beat them out.

What I think happens is Rodgers is a Jet either today or tomorrow. Compensation likely being a 2nd this year and a conditional 2nd next year that goes to a 1st if he’s still a Jet next season. And GB picks up nearly half of his deal this year.

Leaving us with cap still to build the roster and still having 13.

Did something happen in LV to take them out of the running? I haven't seen anything there yet.

As for 13 for Rodgers and salary. I'd still like to see a 3rd or 4th coming back in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Here is the compensation, swap 13 and 15. Give up this year's 2nd and next year's 1st (which should be 26-32). Game set match.

That's a huge overpay. Especially considering the very real likelihood that Rodgers will be one and done here.  You are essentially asking for a second and third this year and a first next.

We'd be giving up a first next year for a dude that wouldn't even be on the roster by then. I also like your assumption that the pick will be at the endo of the first because old QBs never get hurt or fall off a cliff. 

50 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

LOL just breaking your balls for seldomly going against the grain. Definitely not personal. If it was I wouldn't bothering interacting. 

Hopefully we just get our guy and it is all moot. I still hate Woody getting involved. You hire football guys to do their jobs. His team our not, he should know by now that the only way its ever going to work is if he trusts the people he hires. 

My bad, seems like guys are on edge everywhere(I've been on twitter too much the past few days) following this. 

Woody is a terrible owner, just saying when he makes the right call it's okay to give him credit. I remember during the Bowles/Macaggnan when Suh was using us for leverage he made us back out because he saw what was happening. Obviously DT and QB are different things but still. If he's saying go get me Rodgers then we can't be too mad at that. Unless we miss out on Rodgers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I still hate Woody getting involved.

Did he really get that involved though?  I am asking since I do not believe the media reports all that much.  I am sure he told JD that he really wants Rodgers but did he "force" JD to hold off on Carr for Rodgers?  Does anyone other than Woody and JD know for certain?

6 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Per ESPN, the Jets are going to continue to talk to Rodgers throughout today. Seems like things are heating up. 

Only to fizzle out leaving us all pulling our hair out.  The negative me is writing this post but I must brace myself for the typical Jet disappointment.  Trubisky can be serviceable, can't he?

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Did something happen in LV to take them out of the running? I haven't seen anything there yet.

As for 13 for Rodgers and salary. I'd still like to see a 3rd or 4th coming back in that scenario. 

Yes LV FO has said they're not trading draft capital for a QB. So they're likely going Jimmy G or drafting a guy.

42 minutes ago, xrade said:

Did he really get that involved though?  I am asking since I do not believe the media reports all that much.  I am sure he told JD that he really wants Rodgers but did he "force" JD to hold off on Carr for Rodgers?  Does anyone other than Woody and JD know for certain?

AR got it right concerning the sports writers and bloggers they don't know anything. JD has a history of being closed mouth on anything the Jets do in house the draft included.

I think that there are trades that could potentially be made by the Jets in-lieu of draft choices, only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Rodgers was always the guy, the question was simply compensation and I don't think Douglas will ever get fleeced. Any deal we make will be on our favor I truly believe that. 

No one questions that, but I could see JD wanting some guarantee from Rodgers regarding years of service.  Obviously you can't force a player to NOT retire or play him if injured, but I am sure JD will include some contract language that helps the Jets if Rodgers bails after a year or two.

I could also see Rodgers refusing said contract language. Thus I see Mitch Trubisky in our future.  But that's OK, because MFW will back him up.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

No one questions that, but I could see JD wanting some guarantee from Rodgers regarding years of service.  Obviously you can't force a player to NOT retire or play him if injured, but I am sure JD will include some contract language that helps the Jets if Rodgers bails after a year or two.

I could also see Rodgers refusing said contract language. Thus I see Mitch Trubisky in our future.  But that's OK, because MFW will back him up.

LOL this would be hilarious. The empty seats would set records.