Week 13 GT: Bears vs CheeSeheads

beardown3231

19 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's why I have been saying Borom should be an OG. He's a plus athlete there but a bit of a plodded at times in space. 

Id like to see Leatherwood attack a bit rather than give up quite so much ground on the delayed blitz too. Not a huge critique but a top athlete could eat him up with that much room.  

I am starting to wonder if the smoke around how they viewed Borom might be true...they have given just about everyone a chance to take that RT spot from him and he could face an uphill battle to be here next season...I agree with you I would like to see him inside...just not sure it happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I'll go ahead and fall on that sword since i said it. but tbf, look at those games

DET - lost on a missed exp

ATL - lost by 3, probably should have won that game

NYJ - they are the jets, and wilson was playing like dog **** when i made the statement. this was a big L, but if wilson and fields played, it would have been a completely different game

GB - that's maybe the 2nd worst GB team i've ever seen the bears play since rodgers has been the starter and it was absolutely a winnable game

so yeah, losing those 4 games when i thought they should be wins looks bad, but there's a whole lot of context missing

It wasn't even you who I'm referring to.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am starting to wonder if the smoke around how they viewed Borom might be true...they have given just about everyone a chance to take that RT spot from him and he could face an uphill battle to be here next season...I agree with you I would like to see him inside...just not sure it happens.

If he has a role on this roster I think it’s gotta be inside. He’s looked overmatched on the edge all year. Maybe they develop him as a potential LG behind Whitehair?

Still not convinced if they’re going with a developmental guy in a depth role that they do so with a guy they inherited and who failed. My gut says they’d rather have fresh blood for that spot. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If he has a role on this roster I think it’s gotta be inside. He’s looked overmatched on the edge all year. Maybe they develop him as a potential LG behind Whitehair?

Still not convinced if they’re going with a developmental guy in a depth role that they do so with a guy they inherited and who failed. My gut says they’d rather have fresh blood for that spot. 

They should have probably had Borom working at G from near jump, its pretty clear he lacks sufficient foot quickness to play OT - and he could be an exceptional G - not sure why this is taking so long to figure out.    Not everyone who coaches in NFL is brilliant.  

Honestly, Jenkins should have had a longer run at OT.   He is far more athletic than Borom.    Not a huge fan of many of OL personnel decisions thus far.   Opposite.   I suspect they let personal feelings on players cloud their judgment.

Though fundamentals do look improved across board - which is a positive and credit I can give them.   

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sugashane said:

That's why I have been saying Borom should be an OG. He's a plus athlete there but a bit of a plodded at times in space. 

You keep saying that, but hes NOT. Hes average or below at every OL spot. 

That doesnt mean he cant be a solid lineman, but he just isnt a great athlete in comparison to todays Lineman. I hoped he would become that when he trimmed up in the NFL, that he was just carrying alittle too much pudge from college, but that has just never translated.

Teven Jenkins is a Plus Athlete at the Guard position, Larry Borom is not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They should have probably had Borom working at G from near jump, its pretty clear he lacks sufficient foot quickness to play OT - and he could be an exceptional G - not sure why this is taking so long to figure out.    Not everyone who coaches in NFL is brilliant. 

Ive said this before, HE thinks he is a Tackle, a LT even.

Id bet there is a good chance he has been reluctant to play anywhere other than on the edge.

Its why Ive been projecting that we send him off somewhere for a Day 3 pick

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive said this before, HE thinks he is a Tackle, a LT even.

Id bet there is a good chance he has been reluctant to play anywhere other than on the edge.

Its why Ive been projecting that we send him off somewhere for a Day 3 pick

Nah.

HE is not the coach.  He is a 5th round pick and has little to no say in anything.  

They didn't give a crap that Jenkins a 2nd round pick they traded up for wanted to be an OT -  why would they care one lick if Borom didn't want to be a guard?

This is some coach just making bad decisions.  Borom has played some good games at OT.  But it should be clear long before now it is not his best position fit.

This is beauty of drafting OTs.   They often make better guards than college guards because college coaches put their best OL at OT first and G third (after Center).  

GMs who always draft position for position are not thinking deeply.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They didn't give a crap that Jenkins a 2nd round pick they traded up for wanted to be an OT -  why would they care one lick if Borom didn't want to be a guard?

Because he is still a person with agency, hes not a plug and play robot. This kind of stuff happens way more than we ever hear about.

And we did see fallout of the Jenkins stuff. Yes they were right, and someone got to Tevin to get him back out there. Thats why it eventually happened, and many have expressed worry that he will revert back to that in the offseason.

Im not saying Borom WONT play anywhere else but OT, Im saying he doesnt WANT to, I can promise you that. And if he doesnt have the talent to be a difference maker (like Jenkins) and hes not their guy, then maybe its not worth their effort to make that work, since we needed a RT anyway at the time.

This isnt pop warner, its not always as simple between coach and player as some of you like to pretend it is.

Edited by StLunatic88

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You keep saying that, but hes NOT. Hes average or below at every OL spot. 

That doesnt mean he cant be a solid lineman, but he just isnt a great athlete in comparison to todays Lineman. I hoped he would become that when he trimmed up in the NFL, that he was just carrying alittle too much pudge from college, but that has just never translated.

Teven Jenkins is a Plus Athlete at the Guard position, Larry Borom is not.

I keep saying that because he is.  His RAS was an 8.65 as an OG. Being in the top 25% makes him a plus athlete, but he isn't a freak athlete by any stretch. Obviously these scores aren't perfect but are a decent measuring tool.

His scores actually reflect his play imo. He has good size and gets off the line fairly well but struggles to get out fast enough to match up with speed, and I believe he has struggled with a hard stunt inside when he was really trying to get outside. I may have him confused with Jones there to be honest, but I really thing it was Borom. 

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Honestly, Jenkins should have had a longer run at OT.   He is far more athletic than Borom.    Not a huge fan of many of OL personnel decisions thus far.   Opposite.   I suspect they let personal feelings on players cloud their judgment.

Though fundamentals do look improved across board - which is a positive and credit I can give them.   

It’s possible that they just don’t think Borom is any good too. He also doesn’t have that killer instinct in the run game that Jenkins consistently shows, and I think Poles really wants that.

As for Jenkins, I agree with more time outside maybe he’s a strong tackle, but he’s also really good as a guard despite not even playing there until basically the start of the season. Also, it was reported post-draft last year that some teams saw him as a guard and not a tackle. Perhaps Poles was in that group. Personally, I’m just glad that we’ve filled a hole with a strong player with Jenkins. I’d prefer it had been at a higher priority position on the outside, but ultimately he was drafted to be a difference maker on the OL, and that’s exactly what he is. He looks the part to be a 10-year plus starter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I keep saying that because he is.  His RAS was an 8.65 as an OG. Being in the top 25% makes him a plus athlete, but he isn't a freak athlete by any stretch. Obviously these scores aren't perfect but are a decent measuring tool.

And my bet cashes

I knew your were going to go run to this, stop staring at measurements on a sheet and actually watch him in game action. Those are his numbers at his absolute PEAK when training for the draft process, that’s not who he is on every day.

He is above average at best for the guard position, that doesn’t mean “plus athlete”. Once again, Tevin Jenkins is a Plus Athlete for the Guard Position, Larry Borom absolutely is not.