Rose Bowl amends contract, clearing way for 12 team playoff

beekay414

The 12-team format should divide the bracket along the Mason-Dixon Line.

The top 6 teams in the final CFP rankings from the South as defined by the US Census Bureau (that includes Maryland) would compete to fill one berth in the CFP title game in the Bowden bracket.

The top 6 teams from outside the South would compete in the Osborne bracket to fill in the other title game berth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

The top 6 teams in the final CFP rankings from the South as defined by the US Census Bureau (that includes Maryland) would compete to fill one berth in the CFP title game in the Bowden bracket.

The top 6 teams from outside the South would compete in the Osborne bracket to fill in the other title game berth.

Seconded

motion passes

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

that feels very......

1850's ish 

40 minutes ago, pf9 said:

You need new material

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Plenty of time for the SEC and B1G to poach more teams and the BIG XII to try to salvage their conference as well. Each will then need to realign their divisions.

My take: It seems like the B1G and SEC are either guessing which schools the other will target and being deferential, or are very concerned about getting into a bidding war for the schools like Clemson who will absolutely try to play both sides for a sweetheart signing bonus in exchange for coming in.

A 12 team playoff fits into this model so much better than a 4 team one. By the time a school explodes onto the scene in a 4 team playoff like a Clemson under Dabo, it's a powerhouse enough that both the SEC and B1G would be falling over themselves to get them. 12 team playoffs turn into more or less auditions for the massive SEC/B1G media money.

This is a Coke/Pepsi situation, and each side recognizes their interest is in pilfering out the ACC, PAC12, and Big 12 of any big time football infrastructure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My take: It seems like the B1G and SEC are either guessing which schools the other will target and being deferential, or are very concerned about getting into a bidding war for the schools like Clemson who will absolutely try to play both sides for a sweetheart signing bonus in exchange for coming in.

A 12 team playoff fits into this model so much better than a 4 team one. By the time a school explodes onto the scene in a 4 team playoff like a Clemson under Dabo, it's a powerhouse enough that both the SEC and B1G would be falling over themselves to get them. 12 team playoffs turn into more or less auditions for the massive SEC/B1G media money.

This is a Coke/Pepsi situation, and each side recognizes their interest is in pilfering out the ACC, PAC12, and Big 12 of any big time football infrastructure.

A few things that intrigue me are:

1. Does the B1G think that Oregon is a big enough brand? I think they will due to NIKE alone, as well as what they potentially bring from a basketball standpoint. The real question to me is about Stanford and where/how they fit, which would also mean Cal logically speaking.

2. Does Clemson qualify in the B1G academically/would they want to move up North? Logically, it makes sense for them to go to the SEC from a geographical standpoint, as well as from solidifying their rivalry with SC. Virginia and Virginia Tech are major wildcards in the mix here as well. I personally believe the ACC is donezo soon. Florida State will move to the SEC and solidify that rivalry with Florida as well as The U moving to the SEC.

3. I think Notre Dame plays the waiting game, which could honestly end up backfiring to a degree. They should probably realize that B1G deal with NBC is the writing on the wall for them and that Indy gravy train they've been riding. I know we both HATE Notre Dame, but I think they're a B1G bound school eventually, especially with USC coming over, and they can resume those historic rivalries with Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue.

4. If the BIG XII is smart (Don't worry I also laughed here), they'll try to grab Utah, Colorado, Utah State, BYU, Oregon State, and the rest of the ACC castoffs to go with Cincinnati, Tulsa, Tulane, and North Carolina. They could basically go all in on basketball with UNC and Kansas brands with their remaining teams like Baylor. It's not a great football conference at that point, but it can at least potentially be salvaged.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A few things that intrigue me are:

1. Does the B1G think that Oregon is a big enough brand? I think they will due to NIKE alone, as well as what they potentially bring from a basketball standpoint. The real question to me is about Stanford and where/how they fit, which would also mean Cal logically speaking.

2. Does Clemson qualify in the B1G academically/would they want to move up North? Logically, it makes sense for them to go to the SEC from a geographical standpoint, as well as from solidifying their rivalry with SC. Virginia and Virginia Tech are major wildcards in the mix here as well. I personally believe the ACC is donezo soon. Florida State will move to the SEC and solidify that rivalry with Florida as well as The U moving to the SEC.

3. I think Notre Dame plays the waiting game, which could honestly end up backfiring to a degree. They should probably realize that B1G deal with NBC is the writing on the wall for them and that Indy gravy train they've been riding. I know we both HATE Notre Dame, but I think they're a B1G bound school eventually, especially with USC coming over, and they can resume those historic rivalries with Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue.

4. If the BIG XII is smart (Don't worry I also laughed here), they'll try to grab Utah, Colorado, Utah State, BYU, Oregon State, and the rest of the ACC castoffs to go with Cincinnati, Tulsa, Tulane, and North Carolina. They could basically go all in on basketball with UNC and Kansas brands with their remaining teams like Baylor. It's not a great football conference at that point, but it can at least potentially be salvaged.

I think 1, 2, and 3 are all part of the same thing. Oregon, Clemson, and Notre Dame all think they're special enough that the leverage lies with them, based on a variety of reasons you mentioned. The B1G and SEC probably expect Clemson to go SEC and ND/Oregon to go B1G, so it's this weird thing where it feels inevitable but whoever blinks first loses leverage.

UNC is going to end up a prize for someone. Huge media market in the tri-state area, incredible school, football/basketball. It's one of the best all around public schools in the country. That's the problem, the Big XII can act as aggressive as it wants, but the Utahs and Colorados of the world are going to try to hold out for big time media money. That means if you want them now, you have to take them on their terms, which probably means a buyout that fundamentally will always be more affordable for the B1G and SEC based on the media difference.

Which is why the real leverage is with the conference, not the schools. The longer this goes on, the more the remaining schools get desperate IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think 1, 2, and 3 are all part of the same thing. Oregon, Clemson, and Notre Dame all think they're special enough that the leverage lies with them, based on a variety of reasons you mentioned. The B1G and SEC probably expect Clemson to go SEC and ND/Oregon to go B1G, so it's this weird thing where it feels inevitable but whoever blinks first loses leverage.

UNC is going to end up a prize for someone. Huge media market in the tri-state area, incredible school, football/basketball. It's one of the best all around public schools in the country. That's the problem, the Big XII can act as aggressive as it wants, but the Utahs and Colorados of the world are going to try to hold out for big time media money. That means if you want them now, you have to take them on their terms, which probably means a buyout that fundamentally will always be more affordable for the B1G and SEC based on the media difference.

Which is why the real leverage is with the conference, not the schools. The longer this goes on, the more the remaining schools get desperate IMO.

Absolutely agreed on all of that. The real wildcards are the private schools when it comes to how they're funded. USC was smart enough to see this. Notre Dame I could see looking at their striped endzone, no name jerseys, Rockney quotes and leather helmets, and holding out.

I think Oregon wants to join the B1G and will do about whatever it takes.

UNC is smartly playing the waiting game, as is Clemson, because the ACC is not yet done. As long as The U and FSU remain, there's enough financial viability, and for them they benefit from a weak conference and essentially guaranteeing themselves a Top 12 spot, but they're also losing a Dabo to Alabama away from being borderline completely irrelevant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Absolutely agreed on all of that. The real wildcards are the private schools when it comes to how they're funded. USC was smart enough to see this. Notre Dame I could see looking at their striped endzone, no name jerseys, Rockney quotes and leather helmets, and holding out.

I think Oregon wants to join the B1G and will do about whatever it takes.

UNC is smartly playing the waiting game, as is Clemson, because the ACC is not yet done. As long as The U and FSU remain, there's enough financial viability, and for them they benefit from a weak conference and essentially guaranteeing themselves a Top 12 spot, but they're also losing a Dabo to Alabama away from being borderline completely irrelevant. 

100%. Oregon and UNC being public limits their options. Those budgets are one state legislature session away from being slashed at any time, diversification of revenue is absolutely paramount, and big time football is irreplaceable in that regard. Everyone on both sides knows that too.

Notre Dame thinks they're always going to be rich - they're probably right. So the concept of a bad budget or two isn't going to hurt the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Outside of Notre Dame, Clemson is probably the next big fish to catch.  Obviously, you've got those secondary schools (like Oregon, Florida State, Miami, etc.), but it feels like Clemson is the first real non-Notre Dame domino to fall.