Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

But you do see how your suggested strategy gives us an inevitably worse return on draft picks and less future flexibility, right?

I can see the pros and cons of both approaches and don’t think either is necessarily better than the other 

Edited by OzPackfan

19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers to the Broncos was a done deal until the Seahawks swooped in with a better offer for a younger QB.

Rodgers is going to be a Jet.

And he’s going to get to the Championship game.

And he’s going to take a sack on 4th down to lose.

Rodgers was a done deal?  Not long after Gute extended him at that price after back to back MVP seasons?  I don't think so.  Now perhaps after this down season Gute might be open to moving on but not last offseason.

Just now, Pugger said:

Rodgers was a done deal?  Not long after Gute extended him at that price after back to back MVP seasons?  I don't think so.  Now perhaps after this down season Gute might be open to moving on but not last offseason.

If that's the case, it was GM malpractice on Gute to not consider it or pursue it last year. Strike when the iron is hot. Take advantage of the value.

Rodgers wasn't the future last year. He could not get it done in a gimme game. He was cooked, and it was irrelevant if he had just won two straight MVPs, no matter what people are saying. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

If that's the case, it was GM malpractice on Gute to not consider it or pursue it last year. Strike when the iron is hot. Take advantage of the value.

Rodgers wasn't the future last year. He could not get it done in a gimme game. He was cooked, and it was irrelevant if he had just won two straight MVPs, no matter what people are saying. 

Then Gute would have been the first GM in league history to trade away his reigning MVP.  

Let's say he did what you and others are suggesting and trades Rodgers away.  Then AR leads his new team into the playoffs with a better offensive roster and Love bombs?  Gute would then be looking for a new job.  Gute and company were foolish to give Rodgers such a lucrative contract and cap situation for sure.  I consider that GM malpractice more than not pursuing trading him away last offseason tbh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Me either.  One comment I found particularly interesting is that getting humbled is good.  Sounds like Wilson needed a slice of humble pie.  Also that he told him to go home kid and clear his mind.  Guess the kid was staying late working too hard.  Also said he's talented.  Dunno mental aspect of playing the QB position is really important.  Whether or not this kid has it don't know.  Have to lead the team and not rub your teamates the wrong way.  Sounds like that's what he did in NY. 

Can't remember who said it but they are probably right.  How often do reclamation projects ever turn out?  Favre was about the only one I know of.  Maybe you could put Young and Brees in that category too.  But it's pretty rare that a guy busts out in one place and they turns it around in another.  What the hell Jets can throw him in the trade  package that way we don't have to burn a pick on another QB. 

You could make the case for Geno Smith in Seattle, although only one year so far. Nick Foles in Philly, again only 1 year but a championship. 

I don't think Brees was a bust in San Diego by any means. I think they had Rivers, so they moved on in light of his shoulder injury.

49 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Then Gute would have been the first GM in league history to trade away his reigning MVP.  

Let's say he did what you and others are suggesting and trades Rodgers away.  Then AR leads his new team into the playoffs with a better offensive roster and Love bombs?  Gute would then be looking for a new job.  Gute and company were foolish to give Rodgers such a lucrative contract and cap situation for sure.  I consider that GM malpractice more than not pursuing trading him away last offseason tbh.

In that scenario, the Packers as a team would still be in a better situation simply because of all the draft picks gotten in return for Rodgers. Love bombs, there's ammunition to get another one *and* build a better roster. It was a failure to not move on at the height of his value. 

If Rodgers couldn't beat the 9ers last year, he's not going to win a Super Bowl ever again. 

13 hours ago, Sandy said:

In life, preparing to fail will lead to failure. Adding more assets immediately in order to help Love succeed is the play - not making a worse roster so we can move on if he fails.

That can also lead to procrastination.  Which can lead to amazing results at a deadline.  Deadlines spur action.  

To the part that is not bolded?  Totally agree.  100%.  But what assets does Love really need besides live game reps?  He's got 3 good looking young WR's.  He needs a tight end.  He's got two very good RB's...one is probably elite.

Great LT.  Great LG.  Kind of meh from center to RG to RT.  But...there is promise with Tom.  And I feel like Walker and even Jones have a lot of talent to be tapped into.  Rhyan is a wildcard.  And Runyan is just kindda solid in the way that Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick were before him.

So if we do add "assets", it fortifies the offense for Love.  And we should add a TE and another WR to go along with a mid round OL.

12 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Can't remember who said it but they are probably right.  How often do reclamation projects ever turn out?  Favre was about the only one I know of.  Maybe you could put Young and Brees in that category too.  But it's pretty rare that a guy busts out in one place and they turns it around in another.  What the hell Jets can throw him in the trade  package that way we don't have to burn a pick on another QB. 

Not sure if these are reclamation projects, but...top of my head...

Tannahill.  Had a pretty great 2-3 year run (without looking it up).  I feel like it is more of a great 2 year run and pretty average after that.

Daniel Jones.  From not getting his 5'th year picked up to getting a huge deal now.

Much farther back...Jim Plunkett, with dah Raidurz.

Geno Smith this year.

Doesn't happen much.  But recently, it has.  Not sure if Wilson has the attitude to do it.  But I feel like he does have the talent.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I bet you believe our problems have been about pad level, too.

If you don’t think the Packers were deep in trade discussions around Rodgers last year, you’re a literal sheep.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Gute should be looking for a new job based on the contract he gave AR and not setting the organization up for success going forward.

Gute managed the situation scared and people are giving him a pass for it.  A team should never give up control of their future the way the Packers did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

If you don’t think the Packers were deep in trade discussions around Rodgers last year, you’re a literal sheep.

Come on man! You can make your point without calling everyone names. You're better than that, I know, I read enough intelligent posts without the attacks. 

• Like 1

Ross Uglem -   Other than Rodgers re-discovering his '20 and '21 form the best out for the #Packers absolutely is to get value for him in a trade.  It is certainly not for him to retire and as the years go on if he doesn't re-capture his level of play he'd be a very expensive average-ish QB.

///

Come on Jets....make the offer that seals this deal. I'm ready to move on.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Really??  If they were why in the hell did they extend him with that contract last March?  For someone who is just a fan like me on a message board you seem to think you know what is going on in the inner workings at 1265.  🙄

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -   Other than Rodgers re-discovering his '20 and '21 form the best out for the #Packers absolutely is to get value for him in a trade.  It is certainly not for him to retire and as the years go on if he doesn't re-capture his level of play he'd be a very expensive average-ish QB.

///

Its too bad the Jets don't have a higher pick this year than 13 seeing we are at 15 - if indeed Packers management is ready to move on.  If not AR isn't going anywhere unless he retires.

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

I'm going big. I want a package of him, Bak and Jones to the Raiders for the Motherload of picks. I'm not sure what 'The Motherload," actually is since there is such a wide range of thought regarding Rodgers' value at this point.