Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  So according to Tom & Ian if Rodgers wants to play with Green Bay they will happily accept him back and if he wants a trade they will move forward with a trade. So basically, the decision is all on Rodgers.

To be fair, this could be positioning on GBs end.

Green Bay could be saying we’ll gladly take Rodgers back for another season, but also tell him they aren’t going to go all in and will need to rebuild a bit, knowing that Rodgers wouldn’t do that. By doing so they’d look like the good guys while basically sealing a Rodgers trade.

I would say, or retirement if Brady had not retired and turned in his paperwork. Brady filing retirement paperwork means Rodgers is not retiring this year. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The last couple weeks I've been convinced Rodgers is gone. Then I see something like this from Pelissero (who is one of the most reliable at his job) and it feels more like last year, meaning Rodgers only goes if he wants it. Then I think...why would Rodgers want to leave the crappy NFC North (and NFC in general) to go to the AFC, especially the AFC West? Makes zero sense unless winning isn't his top priority. 

I think Rodgers camp is pumping info directly to Schefter and GB's to NFLN. Neither wants to be the bad guy.

I truly think GB would take Aaron back, but they aren't interested in bringing back Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan and Lewis. The whole "decision" is if Aaron will be OK with that.

If he comes back, they re-work that deal and others somehow and we go and pursue a Keenan Allen or Waller, eh maybe there will be reason for a little excitement around 1265.

If they just cave, bring back the aging crew of buddies, next year will suck. Gute and LaFleur will lose a ton of fanbase respect, no one will believe they have the guts to pull off the moves needed to build a champion.

If the dead cap decreased year to year, I really wouldn't have any issue in giving Love the 5th year and bringing Aaron back. LaFleur already ruined next year by not making staff changes. The fact that it jumps from 40m to the 60s however, just seems like a catastrophic fail unless you're going to completely sell off the future and trade picks for guys to go all in, something this FO doesn't do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If they just cave, bring back the aging crew of buddies, next year will suck. Gute and LaFleur will lose a ton of fanbase respect, no one will believe they have the guts to pull off the moves needed to build a champion.

This ^

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think Rodgers camp is pumping info directly to Schefter and GB's to NFLN. Neither wants to be the bad guy.

I truly think GB would take Aaron back, but they aren't interested in bringing back Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan and Lewis. The whole "decision" is if Aaron will be OK with that.

If he comes back, they re-work that deal and others somehow and we go and pursue a Keenan Allen or Waller, eh maybe there will be reason for a little excitement around 1265.

If the dead cap decreased year to year, I really wouldn't have any issue in giving Love the 5th year and bringing Aaron back. LaFleur already ruined next year by not making staff changes. The fact that it jumps from 40m to the 60s however, just seems like a catastrophic fail unless you're going to completely sell off the future and trade picks for guys to go all in, something this FO doesn't do.

Agree pretty much across the board. If this just ends up being "bring all the buddies back for another year" it's a massive failure by everyone involved.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  So according to Tom & Ian if Rodgers wants to play with Green Bay they will happily accept him back and if he wants a trade they will move forward with a trade. So basically, the decision is all on Rodgers.

To be fair, this could be positioning on GBs end.

Green Bay could be saying we’ll gladly take Rodgers back for another season, but also tell him they aren’t going to go all in and will need to rebuild a bit, knowing that Rodgers wouldn’t do that. By doing so they’d look like the good guys while basically sealing a Rodgers trade.

They're not positioning, this is very likely real. Last offseason they made a decision and that decision didn't turn out well. This offseason, it looks like they're staying true to the course. This doesn't make them look good in anyone's eyes that has an eye on the future. If anything, this just looks like incompetence. One way or another. 

You took a QB in the 1st round of the 2020 NFL Draft - Looks like an eye towards the future type of move

You then double down and basically media parade yourselves looking desperate to sign Aaron back (What a slap in the face to Jordan that must have been) signing him to a contract that puts our back against the wall.

You now have that QB who showed out really well against the Eagles (SB team) and you're out here doubling down on Aaron Rodgers. 

Honestly Gute has dropped the ball no matter how this plays out imo. It's just blatant incompetence 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

This is the key piece here. No reason for GB to advertise anything but "we want him back." Last year that was actually true. We'll see if that's still the case.

Yeah .. that's exactly the way to play it if you want to maximize your return in a trade.  As soon as you say we are going with Love the price on return for Aaron in a trade will be diminished. Packers are playing this perfectly ... Unless they really do what the diva QB back. I sure hope that is not the case. 

• Like 1

Gute would no doubt love to get some more picks and show the world why he drafted Love but organizationally he's not free to let things get ugly and force Rodgers out. Y'all are presumably smart enough to figure who is behind that "organizational" stance.

What's being "leaked" from the Packers side is exactly what their reality is. They're not playing any angle. If Rodgers wants to stay and play, he plays. If Rodgers wants to be traded, he's traded.

NO REPEAT OF 2008 IS PARAMOUNT.

And yes, that's incredibly stupid and not putting football first.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Would you still blame them if the driving force of their passiveness was Murphy? Personally I'd like Gute to be more assertive.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

The Packers are going to do the classy thing at the expense of football.

If Rodgers wants to be back, he'll be back.

He can stay another year, and Love takes over in 2024.

Murphy doesn't have the balls to trade Rodgers unless Rodgers is fully on board with a trade.  I think they rework Rodgers deal and he stays another year or two depending on what the Packers think of Love.

If Rodgers decides he wants one last year before retirement, I can see him coming back for sure

His contract will need to be redone to accommodate that and he will need to do a Brady and play for between 20-30m maximum.

Its all manageable and along with other restructures could get us to the point where we have 30-40m in cap space and can have one last throw at the stumps

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Would you still blame them if the driving force of their passiveness was Murphy? Personally I'd like Gute to be more assertive.

Yes! If you hire me to do a job and don't allow me to do it, it's time for me to leave. If Murphy is ******* GUTE, then Gute needs to resign and leak why he left.