Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Never watch the USFL.

I like the change of seasons.

I love that kind of stuff but even I have a time getting into it. It was something to put on at the bar when nothing was going on if nothing else.

24 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sure, and I kind of doubt that list will not have any teams from the NFC.  The suggestion was that an NFC team would need to give up significantly more in trade to acquire Rodgers.  That line of thinking doesn't make much sense to me.  A Rodgers trade means GB will likely be in reset for at least the next couple seasons (2023, 2024).  Just take the best offer from any team on his list and move on.  The actual destination is more or less irrelevant.  Does the thought of facing Rodgers in the 2025 playoffs scare anyone?  It shouldn't.

I'm all for getting the best return .. just guessing the Packers organization will want to deal him to the AFC like they did when Favre was traded.  The Bucs thought they had a better offer for Favre, but the Packers took the Jets deal instead. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

@CWood21 @AlexGreen#20@Packerraymond what is the realistic value of Rodgers on the trade market? I would assume the acquiring team would want 2 years of him playing minimum. 

Hard to say. 

40 year old QB. Huge contract cap hits.  Contemplating retirement.  Down season in 2022.

Team needs to be a solid title contender for Rodgers to want to play there.  Rodgers cod also limit the teams he would consider being traded to, so the compensation may drop as a result.

1st and 3rd.  Might be conditional if Rodgers plays in 2024

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think if you look at what Carson Wentz was traded for, it only takes one desperate GM. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Beyond horrible return 

What incentive does Rodgers have in having a new team give up multiple high picks?  If Rodgers says he would only do a trade to 1 particular team, why would that team give up a bunch of high picks?

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm all for getting the best return .. just guessing the Packers organization will want to deal him to the AFC like they did when Favre was traded.  The Bucs thought they had a better offer for Favre, but the Packers took the Jets deal instead. 

On comparable deals, sure.  I'd fully expect GB to choose the AFC team.  The suggestion was that an NFC team would need to throw in an extra RD2 pick over and above whatever an AFC team was offering.  I'm not buying that at all.

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hard to say. 

40 year old QB. Huge contract cap hits.  Contemplating retirement.  Down season in 2022.

Team needs to be a solid title contender for Rodgers to want to play there.  Rodgers cod also limit the teams he would consider being traded to, so the compensation may drop as a result.

1st and 3rd.  Might be conditional if Rodgers plays in 2024

he didnt ask YOU, squire.

• Like 2

Since everyone's been begging me for it, here's my detailed analysis of the QB trade market this offseason.

First off, I think the Packers trade either Rodgers or Love this offseason. Cap-mageddon is coming and we can't have Rodgers's dead hit and Loved 5th year option on the payroll next year. I feel the odds of both players remaining on the roster next season are very slim.

You've got 10 teams that I think are looking to change QB1s this offseason. This doesn't include Baltimore, NYG, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle or now San Francisco (although Lance may or may not be on the block).

Of those ten teams, two (Houston and Indy) seem poised to fill the position in the draft.

Two others (Carolina and Tampa Bay) seem they'd prefer to fill the position with a young player or rookie. Both would be good trade partner to reach out to should we wish to trade Love. 

That leaves us with New Orleans, Washington, NYJ, Las Vegas, Tennessee, and New England.

New Orleans is currently $58m over the cap. They would need to clear $117m to obtain Rodgers. This is not possible. They also don't have a first rounder to send back to the Packers. They're likely stuck with internal options for another year.

Washington would be appealing to Rodgers for the skill position players. The GM and HC are desperate to keep their jobs and would repay the Packers well in draft capital. Cap-wise, after cutting Wentz they can clear the last $20m pretty easily with restructures.

The Jets are oft discussed as a destination, but I feel Rodgers would not approve of living in New Jersey, deep down he doesn't want to play in the cold regardless of what he tells the media, and most importantly, he doesn't want to follow Favre's path too closely. For what it's worth, they are a QB away from contention, and have avenues to clear the $61.5m in space they need to clear to add Rodgers.

Las Vegas makes a ton of sense with Adams there. They have a ton of easy-to-create cap space to add Rodgers and build a strong roster. If they dangle the 7th pick then the return might be the highest the Packers are offered. This could be the favorite.

Tennessee is probably the second most likely spot after LV. They can easily clear the space they need with several older release candidates on bloated contracts with little in dead money. Rodgers owns a home there and may enjoy spending his last seasons there. This team was the AFCs top seed a season ago.

New England makes more sense as a landing spot for Carr or Jimmy G than Rodgers for me. Cold weather, a stickler for a coach, Brady's shadow. None of it seems logical for Rodgers.

So six teams are looking to add a veteran, and the market has Brady, Carr, Jimmy G and Rodgers. Someone will offer us something nice for him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

So six teams are looking to add a veteran, and the market has Brady, Carr, Jimmy G and Rodgers. Someone will offer us something nice for him.

Subtle clarification:  AR's under contract.

The only thing that "puts him on the market" is his continually yapping about himself, his future, his goals, his abilities, his roster demands, his state of mind, emotions, beliefs and mysteries....etc - as if he's a free agent.

That attitude - combined with my thinking we've seen the best of him already and I no longer think he can overcome game adversity and lead us to victory - leads me to thinking it's time.

I dont know what the FO is thinking. Perhaps they'll want to run it back again. 

• Like 1

I think Aaron Rodgers is squarely on the trading block.  With Schefter saying that both sides are very aware that Aaron could be traded it makes me think the Packers put that out there.  They want to put the bug in the ear of other teams out there.  There will be plenty of teams looking for what the Packers have to offer.  Hopefully we can still get a mini motherlode.  I think it's more likely we get a nice return than a conditional 3rd rounder.

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Since everyone's been begging me for it, here's my detailed analysis of the QB trade market this offseason.

First off, I think the Packers trade either Rodgers or Love this offseason. Cap-mageddon is coming and we can't have Rodgers's dead hit and Loved 5th year option on the payroll next year. I feel the odds of both players remaining on the roster next season are very slim.

You've got 10 teams that I think are looking to change QB1s this offseason. This doesn't include Baltimore, NYG, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle or now San Francisco (although Lance may or may not be on the block).

Of those ten teams, two (Houston and Indy) seem poised to fill the position in the draft.

Two others (Carolina and Tampa Bay) seem they'd prefer to fill the position with a young player or rookie. Both would be good trade partner to reach out to should we wish to trade Love. 

That leaves us with New Orleans, Washington, NYJ, Las Vegas, Tennessee, and New England.

New Orleans is currently $58m over the cap. They would need to clear $117m to obtain Rodgers. This is not possible. They also don't have a first rounder to send back to the Packers. They're likely stuck with internal options for another year.

Washington would be appealing to Rodgers for the skill position players. The GM and HC are desperate to keep their jobs and would repay the Packers well in draft capital. Cap-wise, after cutting Wentz they can clear the last $20m pretty easily with restructures.

The Jets are oft discussed as a destination, but I feel Rodgers would not approve of living in New Jersey, deep down he doesn't want to play in the cold regardless of what he tells the media, and most importantly, he doesn't want to follow Favre's path too closely. For what it's worth, they are a QB away from contention, and have avenues to clear the $61.5m in space they need to clear to add Rodgers.

Las Vegas makes a ton of sense with Adams there. They have a ton of easy-to-create cap space to add Rodgers and build a strong roster. If they dangle the 7th pick then the return might be the highest the Packers are offered. This could be the favorite.

Tennessee is probably the second most likely spot after LV. They can easily clear the space they need with several older release candidates on bloated contracts with little in dead money. Rodgers owns a home there and may enjoy spending his last seasons there. This team was the AFCs top seed a season ago.

New England makes more sense as a landing spot for Carr or Jimmy G than Rodgers for me. Cold weather, a stickler for a coach, Brady's shadow. None of it seems logical for Rodgers.

Thanks for the summary.

Couple thoughts.

LV:   Would Rodgers want to play in the AFC west vs Mahomes and herbert?  For McDaniels?  Would McDaniels prefer JimmyG or Brady, QB they can get without giving up draft picks?

TEN:  Would Rodgers want to go to a run heavy offense?  Limited pass catching resources?

NE:  agreed on the points

NYJ:  Center of attention may be appealing.  Platform to speak on topics.  QB savior to a franchise desperate for 1 ....50 years in the making.

WAS:  sneaky option that would have a bunch of highlight games.

NO:  I don't see it

Rodgers is going to desire playing to a trade partner team and will he offer 1-2 teams or 3+ to create a bidding war?

• Like 1