Falcons starting rookie QB Desmond Ridder

RaidersAreOne

On 12/10/2022 at 11:38 AM, tyler735 said:

Replacing Mariota with a guy who many compared to Mariota during the draft process

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Mobile QB's are generically lumped together. I'd liken his play style more to Tannehill, and if he's that as a 3rd rounder I'm fine with it. Both can hurt you on the ground, MM quicker to take off and run or leave a clean pocket. Ridder more to extend plays. Less designed QB runs and more RPO's I'm guessing is what it will look like.

1 hour ago, DM316 said:

Mobile QB's are generically lumped together. I'd liken his play style more to Tannehill, and if he's that as a 3rd rounder I'm fine with it. Both can hurt you on the ground, MM quicker to take off and run or leave a clean pocket. Ridder more to extend plays. Less designed QB runs and more RPO's I'm guessing is what it will look like.

While that can be the case sometimes, I agree with the reports I've seen that Ridder resembles Mariota. They aren't too far off in terms of size/athleticism/arm talent.

Mariota 6'4" 220lbs ran a 4.52 in the 40

Ridder 6'3" 210lbs ran a 4.52 in the 40

Both played in offenses that limited their reads and as prospects many called into question their ability to effectively get through their progressions. Neither of them possess a "cannon" for an arm. Both attempt to make plays with their feet at a fairly similar rate, but Mariota was a bit more effective in terms of efficiency as a runner. Both had struggled at times within the pocket holding onto the ball too long/taking unnecessary sacks. In other words, it's a perfectly fine comparison between Ridder and Mariota.

37 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

While that can be the case sometimes, I agree with the reports I've seen that Ridder resembles Mariota. They aren't too far off in terms of size/athleticism/arm talent.

Mariota 6'4" 220lbs ran a 4.52 in the 40

Ridder 6'3" 210lbs ran a 4.52 in the 40

Both played in offenses that limited their reads and as prospects many called into question their ability to effectively get through their progressions. Neither of them possess a "cannon" for an arm. Both attempt to make plays with their feet at a fairly similar rate, but Mariota was a bit more effective in terms of efficiency as a runner. Both had struggled at times within the pocket holding onto the ball too long/taking unnecessary sacks. In other words, it's a perfectly fine comparison between Ridder and Mariota.

Just off of limited preseason snaps, he's already shown more willingness to stand in the pocket and deliver vs breaking a clean pocket. So again, you're going off of measurables (which are similar) vs play style.

2 hours ago, DM316 said:

Just off of limited preseason snaps, he's already shown more willingness to stand in the pocket and deliver vs breaking a clean pocket. So again, you're going off of measurables (which are similar) vs play style.

No. Going against a team using vanilla concepts in pre-season does nothing to change that perception of Ridder's pocket presence. Lets see how he does in these upcoming games. Would be a real indicator if he has actually progressed in that area or not. They had very similar measurables and tendencies as players. If he's developed since then as a rookie with NFL coaching that's great (I have my doubts), but Mariota was a perfectly fine comparison for Ridder.

Edited by tyler735

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/13/after-benching-marcus-mariota-leaves-falcons/

Falcons quarterback Marcus Mariota is out. Literally.

After being benched for rookie Desmond Ridder for performance reasons, Mariota has left the team. And the team doesn’t know if he’ll be back.

Coach Arthur Smith has said Mariota will be placed on injured reserve. The minimum four-game absence would knock him out for the rest of the regular season. Via Josh Kendall of TheAthletic.com, Smith said Tuesday that Mariota is currently not with the Falcons.

Doesn't seem like the best reaction to being benched..

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 12:23 PM, tyler735 said:

No. Going against a team using vanilla concepts in pre-season does nothing to change that perception of Ridder's pocket presence. Lets see how he does in these upcoming games. Would be a real indicator if he has actually progressed in that area or not. They had very similar measurables and tendencies as players. If he's developed since then as a rookie with NFL coaching that's great (I have my doubts), but Mariota was a perfectly fine comparison for Ridder.

You keep doubling down on blanket statements without watching games is comical "vanilla concepts". Detroit wasn't blitzing. He wasn't changing protections. None of that happened. Not on tape or anything.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DM316 said:

You keep doubling down on blanket statements without watching games is comical "vanilla concepts". Detroit wasn't blitzing. He wasn't changing protections. None of that happened. Not on tape or anything.

I find it comical you are using preseason to gauge such things about his tendencies as player. I mean if that’s what we are doing then it would not make sense to claim Ridder doesn’t look to run as quick as Mariota considering they both played in all 3 preseason games yet Ridder ran 8 times compared to Mariota running just 3 times in those 3 games. But hey don’t let facts get in the way. I already noted they ran at a fairly similar rate in college as well. 

I’m sure these preseason games are a great barometer playing against 2nd/3rd string players in glorified scrimmages. Ridder most certainly won’t be under more pressure this weekend in a real game against actual starters. It’s not like a person could go back and watch every completion and run that Ridder had against the Lions in preseason and note that he still struggles to get past his first read before taking off from the pocket or that he had only 1-2 completions in said game where he actually completed a pass that wasn’t to his first read.