Falcons starting rookie QB Desmond Ridder

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Such a weird narrative being pushed. Mariota just had his firstborn this week - that’s why he’s out.

Mariota’s child being born Tuesday is why he left the team last Friday? The day after he got benched? You know you can attend the birth of your child without disappearing from your job for the week, lol.

Coach explicitly said the reason given was to go get his knee looked at (which he played on all season). If this were a temporary thing due to a child birth, it’d be a quick and easy explanation & he’d be back afterwords. Not the case here, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As predicted, he pretty much looked like Mariota this week…

He was a helluva lot more accurate than Mariota as he settled into the game. Probably should have debuted him at a home game. Like against the BEars so that he could have settled into the offense before this one.

56 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He was a helluva lot more accurate than Mariota as he settled into the game. Probably should have debuted him at a home game. Like against the BEars so that he could have settled into the offense before this one.

Ridder had a 50% completion percentage. Mariota has had 1 game this season below that in his 13 starts. Maybe Ridder gets better over time, but for now he still doesn’t look much different than Mariota.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Ridder had a 50% completion percentage. Mariota has had 1 game this season below that in his 13 starts. Maybe Ridder gets better over time, but for now he still doesn’t look much different than Mariota.

I disagree completely. Watching the actual snaps all year for the Falcons, Ridder was much better than Mariota in all aspects of running the offense. On 3rd and 4th downs, especially. There were 2 drops on his throws on 3rd downs. And even then, he was throwing it past the sticks to try and get the first down. Mariota would check down or miss the check down. Wasn't an easy environment for his first start. And honestly, probably should have made the switch at the Bears game to get him settled in. But it is what it is.

39 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I disagree completely. Watching the actual snaps all year for the Falcons, Ridder was much better than Mariota in all aspects of running the offense. On 3rd and 4th downs, especially. There were 2 drops on his throws on 3rd downs. And even then, he was throwing it past the sticks to try and get the first down. Mariota would check down or miss the check down. Wasn't an easy environment for his first start. And honestly, probably should have made the switch at the Bears game to get him settled in. But it is what it is.

Statistically Ridder’s game yesterday would have been one of Mariota’s worst performances of the year. Ridder also made an absolute boneheaded play by running out of bounds on the last play of the game instead of giving the Falcons any sort of chance at the end. He took 4 sacks. Didn’t throw for 100 yards, had a 50% completion percentage, and really didn’t make much of an impact with his legs.

Hell even Ridder himself gave himself a “D” grade for his performance.

In the 2 Saints games this year Mariota played better against us than Ridder did. If this is “improvement” at QB for the Falcons, I’ll gladly take that as a Saints fan lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, tyler735 said:

I find it comical you are using preseason to gauge such things about his tendencies as player. I mean if that’s what we are doing then it would not make sense to claim Ridder doesn’t look to run as quick as Mariota considering they both played in all 3 preseason games yet Ridder ran 8 times compared to Mariota running just 3 times in those 3 games. But hey don’t let facts get in the way. I already noted they ran at a fairly similar rate in college as well. 

I’m sure these preseason games are a great barometer playing against 2nd/3rd string players in glorified scrimmages. Ridder most certainly won’t be under more pressure this weekend in a real game against actual starters. It’s not like a person could go back and watch every completion and run that Ridder had against the Lions in preseason and note that he still struggles to get past his first read before taking off from the pocket or that he had only 1-2 completions in said game where he actually completed a pass that wasn’t to his first read.

Nonetheless, a dense blanket statement from someone that doesn’t watch, right @scar988? As you can see the play style is different, like I said. Cooking a bad debut, also dense as well. No one is saying he’s real or not, just said we needed to find out. Wouldn’t expect any better QB input from a fan of a team running out Tebow-lite to cover up all those flaws. Great cap situation too 😂 you have yourself a nice day.

21 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Nonetheless, a dense blanket statement from someone that doesn’t watch, right @scar988? As you can see the play style is different, like I said. Cooking a bad debut, also dense as well. No one is saying he’s real or not, just said we needed to find out. Wouldn’t expect any better QB input from a fan of a team running out Tebow-lite to cover up all those flaws. Great cap situation too 😂 you have yourself a nice day.

Lol you wrote that as a terrible attempt at an insult while your Ridder led team is currently losing to a David Blough led Cardinals team. Seems you’re the dense one 😂

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1