Week 16 Gameday Thread (Christmas Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (6-8-0) at Miami Dolphins (8-6-0)

Striker

17 hours ago, chefj85 said:

Our offense is trash and our defense only plays well in spurts. We are not “as good as any team,” not at all. Minny doesn’t have that much to play for, so we may not get rolled next week. 

They are still trying to get the #1 seed so they have plenty to play for.

17 hours ago, Scoremore said:

That second half performance doesn't help.  Personally think they already made the decision.  Made the call to Leonard and he's in.  Man Romo wins the ugly sweater contest hands down.  Man that thing is terrible. 

That thing Nantz was wearing was just as lovely.  😛

Here are my post game thoughts after letting it all digest.  

It is kind of funny, I have a lot of different takeaways than @GHARMON9, who was watching from the stands.  

-Are you guys ready for another first round pick on a safety? Because I think we need one.

-I think Aaron Jones is a lot more hurt than we are led to believe.  His usage was way down.  Should Patrick Taylor see some more snaps? He has been pretty good, in my opinion, in his opportunities.

-This was a pretty pedestrian day for both Rodgers and the WRs.  Too many bad throws, too many drops.  Cherry on top was Watson getting hurt, again.

-Was this the best game we have had from Marcedes Lewis?  Amazing that he is not half as productive as Jimmy Graham, but I hate Jimmy Graham and love Marcedes.

-What do you make of this defensive outing? Taken to school in the first half, Miami did whatever they wanted.  But they pitched a shutout in the second, including 3 turnovers on the final 3 Miami possessions, and the forced fumble and recovery was right at the end of the first half and led to a FG.

-Newman isn't very good.  I do think that he settled in a little as he got more PT.  That said, I really hope Yosh is back for the Vikings and Lions.  

-I like Justin Hollins.  Would really like to retain him for next season at the right price.  He is what you want as a back-up rusher.

Overall, a win that was more satisfying than the sum of its parts.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I get his sentiment, but they also had all three time outs, IIRC.  You have to run just to make them use the time outs.  Incomplete passes in that situation greatly change the ability of the other team's offense.  

If MLF made a mistake, IMO it was accepting the offsides penalty MIA committed on 2nd and 2 with about 3 minutes left in the game.  I would have rather declined the penalty and taken the chance that GB could get those two yards though the run of play. 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is kind of funny, I have a lot of different takeaways than @GHARMON9, who was watching from the stands.  

-Are you guys ready for another first round pick on a safety? Because I think we need one.

-I think Aaron Jones is a lot more hurt than we are led to believe.  His usage was way down.  Should Patrick Taylor see some more snaps? He has been pretty good, in my opinion, in his opportunities.

-This was a pretty pedestrian day for both Rodgers and the WRs.  Too many bad throws, too many drops.  Cherry on top was Watson getting hurt, again.

-Was this the best game we have had from Marcedes Lewis?  Amazing that he is not half as productive as Jimmy Graham, but I hate Jimmy Graham and love Marcedes.

-What do you make of this defensive outing? Taken to school in the first half, Miami did whatever they wanted.  But they pitched a shutout in the second, including 3 turnovers on the final 3 Miami possessions, and the forced fumble and recovery was right at the end of the first half and led to a FG.

-Newman isn't very good.  I do think that he settled in a little as he got more PT.  That said, I really hope Yosh is back for the Vikings and Lions.  

-I like Justin Hollins.  Would really like to retain him for next season at the right price.  He is what you want as a back-up rusher.

on the Mercedes Lewis bit... He's easy to like because there are very little expectations for him in terms of production. He's a blocker primarily, and a good locker room guy. Does his job and catches the occasional pass. Graham had big expectations put on him, and a big salary to go with it and dramatically under performed. 

I watched it, fully expected GB to get run out of the stadium.  My takeaways were...

• Game temps.  I saw us kick off and many guys were wearing sleeves.  Sleeves!  They don't wear sleeves at home when it is single digits!  
  • Our light line, 2 DL, 2 EDGE, 2 ILB were being abused in both the run and the pass game.
  • Then we flipped to move of a 3 DL, 1 EDGE (or maybe 2) with 3 ILB's.  Maybe it was a version of the 4-3.  Wyatt flashed big time.  Very impressed with him.
  • They still ran against this set, but it wasn't as easy as running against the light line.  So they threw more.  
  • Which worked because Tua channeled his inner Cutler.
  • Offense....it was a grind.  
  • Loved Watson's 6 catches for about 50 yards.  He showed a lot of confidence on those catches.
  • We didn't incorporate Doubs as much as I thought we could.
  • And Lazard....love the blocking.  But come on man, catch the easy 15 yarder over the middle on the RPO.
  • Tonyan.  He can come back, but it's got to be on a nothing sort of contract.  We really need a threat at TE some time.
  • I saw a stunt.  An honest to goodness DL stunt run by GB.  It was executed terribly.  Bad timing, bad result, but at least we tried it!
  • Quay.  Dude just cannot play the run in that light box DL defense.  He stops his feet and is just too easy to block on the second level.  Keep him clean, though and dang he can eat up space in a hurry.
  • I was getting really mad at Rodgers for continuing to pass.  Playing hero ball.  Then I saw that they were stacking the box pretty good and more or less daring him to throw.  Still, I wished we had handed the ball off more.  It isn't the yards so much as it is the attempts.
  • Our huddle.  I swear that Watson is much taller than Zach Tom.  Tom looks so small out there.  Good thing he can football.
  • Nixon.  Oh my!  Too bad we wasted his really long return.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

possibly, depends on what happens in the offseason with retention, additions, departures 

yes, Jones is likely not 100%, but his usage has been spotty in many games, so using the injury as a reason for low usage might not be accurate.  Yes, Taylor might need to see the field more.  looked decent and capable in his reps

enough to win.  left some yards/plays out on the field.  going to need to improve that for MIN

Lewis is more impactful in run game and gets much less usage in the pass game vs what Graham was almost completely the opposite

Jerry Gray 1/2 time speech might have gotten to Barry as much as the players!!!

yes, Newman is not very good.  agreed that Yosh needs to be ready for MIN or maybe Walker gets some snaps

agreed

you are always an important to the sum of these parts!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Lost in the humor of Lazard's counting is how easily he could have been flagged for taunting.

Luckily the play was already about 20 yds downfield, in part due to his blocking. It walked the line but he didn’t get in anyones face. You should be able to celebrate a play like that. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I watched it, fully expected GB to get run out of the stadium.  My takeaways were...

• Game temps.  I saw us kick off and many guys were wearing sleeves.  Sleeves!  They don't wear sleeves at home when it is single digits!  
  • Our light line, 2 DL, 2 EDGE, 2 ILB were being abused in both the run and the pass game.
  • Then we flipped to move of a 3 DL, 1 EDGE (or maybe 2) with 3 ILB's.  Maybe it was a version of the 4-3.  Wyatt flashed big time.  Very impressed with him.
  • They still ran against this set, but it wasn't as easy as running against the light line.  So they threw more.  
  • Which worked because Tua channeled his inner Cutler.
  • Offense....it was a grind.  
  • Loved Watson's 6 catches for about 50 yards.  He showed a lot of confidence on those catches.
  • We didn't incorporate Doubs as much as I thought we could.
  • And Lazard....love the blocking.  But come on man, catch the easy 15 yarder over the middle on the RPO.
  • Tonyan.  He can come back, but it's got to be on a nothing sort of contract.  We really need a threat at TE some time.
  • I saw a stunt.  An honest to goodness DL stunt run by GB.  It was executed terribly.  Bad timing, bad result, but at least we tried it!
  • Quay.  Dude just cannot play the run in that light box DL defense.  He stops his feet and is just too easy to block on the second level.  Keep him clean, though and dang he can eat up space in a hurry.
  • I was getting really mad at Rodgers for continuing to pass.  Playing hero ball.  Then I saw that they were stacking the box pretty good and more or less daring him to throw.  Still, I wished we had handed the ball off more.  It isn't the yards so much as it is the attempts.
  • Our huddle.  I swear that Watson is much taller than Zach Tom.  Tom looks so small out there.  Good thing he can football.
  • Nixon.  Oh my!  Too bad we wasted his really long return.

Yeah Quay just can't see it right now, he's so much better when he's down hill and can just attack. Gotta keep blitzing him more. Man is also pretty good in coverage, just his play recognition is subpar right now unfortunately.