MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

None of these guys will be, they watched their friend/co-worker/compatriot die. A man died in front of them, you're never okay from that. Even if he's resuscitated, even if he manages to recover, that image never goes away.

Whilst I get what you are saying, posting about his heart stoppage as his 'death' during a time when the country is scouring the corners of the internet for any news at all on his status could possibly cause a misunderstanding.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And I'm sorry "death" is not an acceptable job risk.

A career with the NYPD means receiving a reliable benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid sick leave, and retirement funds. In addition to a salary, compensation includes longevity pay, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, along with opportunities for overtime.

Starting salary: $42,500

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

The average NFL salary is around $2.7 million, as reported following the 2017 regular season. In the five years since, the NFL Players Association has negotiated another collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and that number is only bound to have increased over time. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2022-nfl-salaries-how-average-players-pay-compares-stars

I get what you're trying to say. But these guys get paid millions knowing that one bad hit could mean CTE or worse. This was also some freak accident - not a regular product of the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

You never "move on" from something like this. Do they work again, probably. Will they ever be "okay" from this, probably not. 

You're being incredibly over-dramatic here. This is a tragic situation, these guys will mentally recover. There are countless tragic situations all over the world everyday requiring people to heal, they do. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2022-nfl-salaries-how-average-players-pay-compares-stars

I get what you're trying to say. But these guys get paid millions knowing that one bad hit could mean CTE or worse. This was also some freak accident - not a regular product of the game.

I mean sure

But I was talking about jobs with an actual substantial death risk like delivery drivers and roofers, not police officers.

• Like 2

Just now, Soggust said:

Are we upset that the NFL wanted to continue playing or that they only offered 5 minutes to console?

The 5 minutes for me. You can’t say that when they just said they just provided CPR to a player on the field. That just felt grimy as hell to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

The announcers said the NFL told them to take 5 to warm up. The NFL should absolutely be condemned.

FWIW, "the NFL" is a very vague concept in this statement. I doubt it was like, Roger called down and said get back out there in 5 or else. It was probably just the officials on the field following their rules for continuing after a stoppage in play until they were overridden by those who recognized this was a little bit more serious than your normal injury timeout.

• Like 12