Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

I know nothing about Sean Desai in terms of what he’s accomplished as a football coach.  His education is impressive, though.  Undergrad from Boston University, Masters in education from Columbia, and doctorate in education from Temple and worked as an adjunct professor at one point.

Coaching is teaching.  I’d be willing to give him a shot over the more experienced Flores.

• Like 1

It’s possible the team wanted Evero but he wanted out and they finally agreed on letting him out of his contract. For a first time DC he was very good but the defense still gave up a ton of GW drives. So let’s not act like he’s the second coming, he’s good and would’ve been awesome if he stayed but if he wanted nothing to do with the team because of Hackett what can you do? 

Definitely prefer Desai to Flores though. 

47 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

It’s possible the team wanted Evero but he wanted out and they finally agreed on letting him out of his contract. For a first time DC he was very good but the defense still gave up a ton of GW drives. So let’s not act like he’s the second coming, he’s good and would’ve been awesome if he stayed but if he wanted nothing to do with the team because of Hackett what can you do? 

Definitely prefer Desai to Flores though. 

Curious why we couldn't have gone about trying to trade him. Seems like there are a ton of suitor, especially at DC. I don't think a coordinator has ever been traded but why not try. 

23 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Curious why we couldn't have gone about trying to trade him. Seems like there are a ton of suitor, especially at DC. I don't think a coordinator has ever been traded but why not try. 

I think it’s pretty clear Evero wanted to go.    In that situation how much do you try to stick to your guns?    Keep in mind the comp picks we get come from the league not the team.    It’s easy for teams to hire a guy as coordinator knowing someone else pays the picks.  

I’m disappointed obv but if he doesn’t want to stay it’s hard to keep him and hold him for ransom.   Better we move on and find the right guy. 

On that note - I love that Desai is sought after and chose to decline a MIN interview.    SEA insiders report he wants to come here.     I welcome that.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think it’s pretty clear Evero wanted to go.    In that situation how much do you try to stick to your guns?    Keep in mind the comp picks we get come from the league not the team.    It’s easy for teams to hire a guy as coordinator knowing someone else pays the picks.  

I’m disappointed obv but if he doesn’t want to stay it’s hard to keep him and hold him for ransom.   Better we move on and find the right guy. 

I mean... is that not the same situation as Payton? He wants to coach, didn't want to do it for NO. If he's not getting a HC job this year, could argue a team trading for him (for say a 3rd rounder) could expect to recoup those picks as comp picks for the league if they keep him for 2 years. 

Edited by grizmo78

8 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I mean... is that not the same situation as Payton? He wants to coach, didn't want to do it for NO. If he's not getting a HC job this year, could argue a team trading for him (for say a 3rd rounder) could expect to recoup those picks as comp picks for the league if they keep him for 2 years. 

It’s the impact of a coordinator position. And let’s recognize the CW is paying picks for a HC is very iffy.   I mean it’s the one risk we all hate with bringing Payton on board.    For a coordinator who only impacts one side it’s even less attractive.  

And keep in mind it’s only in play if Evero leaves for a promotion.  And it has to be that he stays for 2 years.   Evero leaves in 1 year they get nothing.   He never ascends beyond DC they get nothing.   It’s hard to give up picks given the uncertainty.   

There have only been 5 trades involving picks for a HC.   So a coordinator trade understanding the above limits - it’s iffy.  

Edited by Broncofan

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I still hate the fact we gave up the picks to get Payton - I’m guessing the group passed on Harbaugh if they knew this was coming.    Interesting to see if anything more comes of this.   But a footnote to our past search.  

The Walmarts didn’t pass on Harbaugh. Harbaugh passed on the Walmarts and a return to the NFL because he knew, for one, that this kind of an allegation - over something as innocuous (or can be spun as innocuous) as “false statements” will only rally people to his side. Think the Michigan “money men” won’t dig deeper when OSU, Alabama and every one else does the same and worse? 

Yes, the Walmarts do not what any bad press as they get enough already, but from everything I understand it was not an either/or.

The Walmarts did not “pass” on Harbaugh. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Did ya'll get a read of this interview with Jerry Rosburg? Man... things were an absolute mess last year.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/jerry-rosburg-provided-structure-for-the-denver-broncos/73-c0322161-18a0-4c53-bd06-ff35cbfc9f50

Great find!

Let's just hope letting Rosburg go wasn't another of George's big mistakes.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, grizmo78 said:

Did ya'll get a read of this interview with Jerry Rosburg? Man... things were an absolute mess last year.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/jerry-rosburg-provided-structure-for-the-denver-broncos/73-c0322161-18a0-4c53-bd06-ff35cbfc9f50

9news, annoyingly, don't let people in the UK access their website for some reason.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:05 PM, AKRNA said:

Great find!

I think if Payton weren't a realistic option for the team Rosburg would be the HC or would have advanced in that process. It's clear he had the respect of team leadership and some of the players. I thought that quote from the "prominent player" was interesting. 

There's definitely a certain mindset that seems to have taken hold in Denver and needs to be rooted out, for better or worse. I think years of losing and a lack of leadership at the top have clearly sent everything off the rails. I do wish Rosburg stuck around in some capacity though. He seems to have the right leadership qualities to make a real difference.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2023 at 1:00 PM, grizmo78 said:

It's also a more polite and nuanced way to back up everything Payton said last week about Hackett & co.    To be clear, I think it's 100 percent correct, but coming from Klis, this was entirely team-orchestrated for PR purposes to back Payton up.

Payton's comments, his public apology on "being too direct", but followed by this piece confirming the chaos - very deliberate.    No problem with it, just pointing out this IMO is very calculated (and just happens to be 100% accurate).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:00 AM, grizmo78 said:

Wow! I’m surprised I missed that. I usually keep a close eye for these stories. Spectacular read, very insightful. I think Hackett meant well, I really do, but he was clearly too much of a players’ coach and the dysfunction created therein was extremely problematic and had an affect on the field without a doubt. I do wonder who the veteran player was, and if he’s still here. 

On 7/28/2023 at 12:05 PM, AKRNA said:

Great find!

I think letting Rosburg go was far more a Walmarts decision than a George decision. They wanted a big name coach with a track record; it was going to be Harbaugh or Payton. Where would they have gone had both passed? I’m not sure, but Rosburg (who I respected even before reading that piece) would have been a tougher sell. Even if the top-two choices had passed, I still don’t think it would have been Rosburg. My bet would have been Quinn with a “star” OC. 

On 7/31/2023 at 3:47 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

9news, annoyingly, don't let people in the UK access their website for some reason.

I’ll copy the text and send it to you in FB messenger, you’ll enjoy the read. 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:10 AM, Broncofan said:

It's also a more polite and nuanced way to back up everything Payton said last week about Hackett & co.    To be clear, I think it's 100 percent correct, but coming from Klis, this was entirely team-orchestrated for PR purposes to back Payton up.

Payton's comments, his public apology on "being too direct", but followed by this piece confirming the chaos - very deliberate.    No problem with it, just pointing out this IMO is very calculated (and just happens to be 100% accurate).

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. The fact that the article also goes out of its way to talk about how much Rosburg respected Russ was no accident, either. The Walmarts are very, very focused on PR and controlling the media narrative around the franchise; that’s been by far the biggest change I’ve noticed with the organization in the last year. 

• Like 1