2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

45 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I guess this would allow us to keep both Kocurek (DC) and Darryl Tapp (DL). I see Kocurek hasn't even been anything but a D-Line coach, but I guess you won't know until you try it. I feel like if he's not our DC he'll be Houston's DC. It'd suck to lose him based on what he's done with this D-Line since he's been here. 

Looking at Wilks' defenses just going off numbers I don't think it's been that impressive. That 2017 year in Carolina was his best year from what I can tell where he finished 7th in yards, 11th in points, and 16th in takeaways. Beyond that year, he's been in the bottom half of the league in all those metrics. 

I think I'd probably give Kocurek his shot to see what he's got if it's between these two guys. 

I feel like we're at a point where we need a sure thing to maintain the high level of play on the defensive side. 

With that said, if it's either promote Kocurek to DC or lose him, I do think our DL is in good hands with Tapp. I'm a huge Tapp fan as a player and person and fully believe he could continue in Kocurek's footsteps. 

6 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I feel like we're at a point where we need a sure thing to maintain the high level of play on the defensive side. 

With that said, if it's either promote Kocurek to DC or lose him, I do think our DL is in good hands with Tapp. I'm a huge Tapp fan as a player and person and fully believe he could continue in Kocurek's footsteps. 

Kocurek is on record stating he doesn't want to be a coordinator. Just cut a check to keep him here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

How long ago did he say that? I wonder if he changed his tune this offseason.

Either at the start of the season or mid year, I honestly dont remember. I just know he seemed to brush off the idea like he would never and I think may have even commented that some guys are better as position coaches.

35 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Either at the start of the season or mid year, I honestly dont remember. I just know he seemed to brush off the idea like he would never and I think may have even commented that some guys are better as position coaches.

I hope that’s true and he stays on as a highly-paid DL coach with a secondary title of some sort. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/2/2/23583092/49ers-kocurek-defensive-coordinator 

Kocurek has been on record multiple times saying he has no interest in becoming a defensive coordinator:

“D-Line is my passion. When I was younger, conceptually, I always wanted to know what’s going on in the defense so I can see where breakdowns happen, who was in their gaps, and what coverages. But my eyes are always drawn back to the front. When I was younger, my first three or four years in the league, I was taking notes on coverages but I was watching the D-Line. It’s something that I’ve always had a passion for and it’s something I don’t see changing.”

It's when I see stuff like this that I feel like they should just trade Lance regardless of the situation lol. Cash out. Yes, this isn't about Trey starting over Lance per se, but I think this is Brock's team. 

He's just in a fubar situation in SF, tbh. I'd love for him to get a shot, but i don't think there's a real shot available. This situation is always going to be bonkers unless Purdy just falls apart (which seems unlikely given the weaponry tbh). 

I get that they aren't going to trade him, but nothing about this has felt good since the beginning of last year lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Better question is, do we really want him? He'd have more value to them as a cheap backup than any compensation that would be worth it for us

I think he's a better player than what he showed this year in Houston. That entire place was a train wreck, plus Cooks didn't want to be there. Akins was his best target most of the time. I think Houston will draft a guy at 2 and will likely want a vet behind him.. not much room for Mills, and if we keep 3 QBs he should cheap to acquire 

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

I think he's a better player than what he showed this year in Houston. That entire place was a train wreck, plus Cooks didn't want to be there. Akins was his best target most of the time

Even so, I think we'd be better off drafting a rookie Kyle likes in the 5th or 7th round and/or grabbing a vet with no draft capital needed than likely having to send the Texans one of our comp 3rds for Mills(we gave our 4th to Carolina and I don't think they'd take a 5th for Mills)

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Better question is, do we really want him? He'd have more value to them as a cheap backup than any compensation that would be worth it for us

I'd definitely take him back if as part of a deal sending Lance to Houston if that's the direction they went

• Like 1