2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

That was the uncatchable pass interference, right?

Yes, there were two back-breaking calls on the 49ers that got the Redskins in position to win with a Mark Moseley FG. One a PI, and the other DH. 

Worst was the PI on Eric Wright which you referenced. 2nd and 11 play that started near the 45 yard line of the 49ers, and that put the Redskins in position at the 49ers 18. Also the "hold" on Ronnie Lott which really looked more like a blasé shoulder check completely away from where the ball was ultimately thrown. Anyway, that was a third down, which put the Redskins at the 49ers 8, and allowed them to basically run down the clock before the FG. To be fair, Walsh and his staff seemed so stunned, they let precious seconds tick off before finally calling a timeout. The game was closer than it should have been too, because defending MVP Mark Moseley (lol) missed 4 FGs prior. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

All of this salty squawking by the 49ers is making me want to go back and re-watch the 1983 NFC champ game between the 49ers/Redskins, and the 1984 Week 2 showdown between the 49ers/Redskins. If there was social media back in '83/84 a lot of those 49ers veterans would have been publicly shouting to the rooftop as to how they got a dose of final minute venom from the officiating.

Anyway, our boys should throttle back a bit. They'll have a chance next year to settle scores. Until then, just stay cloaked in smoke. 

Sure dude, sounds like a plan.

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I thought Kyle would have wanted a competition and would have liked to still see Lance have a fair chance to lead this group, but that's not happening....Especially with all the comments we are hearing from players on the team. If they are THAT vocal about it to the press, what do you think they are saying in private? I totally believe Maiocco's report that players will be p*ssed off if anyone but Purdy is the starter heading into week 1 next season. And that will be all she wrote for Lance's time in SF...UNLESS Purdy gets hurt or just isn't nearly the same QB coming back from his injury. 

Yeah, if Lance gets a shot to play, and string together some games, he may not give the job back to Purdy.  He's gotta operate the short passing game on time and crisply.  I imagine getting up to game speed is tough with so much of his development happening in practice.  I wouldn't close the door on Lance's future here too soon.  

This preseason I am going to be interested to see if he tightened up his delivery.  He drops it pretty low a lot, and it is not always a fast pull back.  Sometimes he hangs it out there.  Justin Herbert would be a good example of solid throw mechanics for that delivery type.  

I think Brock has played really well, and I don't think he will play his way out of the job.  He will probably miss at least a little time each year though.  I hope not, but I try to be realistic as well.  I use past injuries as an indicator of future injuries as a general rule, and QB's get hurt a lot on this team. 

On 2/11/2023 at 4:44 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I thought Kyle would have wanted a competition and would have liked to still see Lance have a fair chance to lead this group, but that's not happening....Especially with all the comments we are hearing from players on the team. If they are THAT vocal about it to the press, what do you think they are saying in private? I totally believe Maiocco's report that players will be p*ssed off if anyone but Purdy is the starter heading into week 1 next season. And that will be all she wrote for Lance's time in SF...UNLESS Purdy gets hurt or just isn't nearly the same QB coming back from his injury. 

Shanahan will just put in the QB that he thinks will win us the most games. If it's Lance then Lance gets the job. If Lance is winning then the players will love Lance. Lance just needs serious reps in a game time situation. I'm playing him at least a half in all the preseason games just so he can play football and get hit. Purdy is a shorter version of Jimmy G prior to Jimmy's first injury that took away a fair bit of his mobility. Lance has so much more upside plus he is a year younger than Purdy. I'm giving Lance as much opportunity as possible to succeed before I go back to Purdy.

• Like 1

When will folks realize that Kyle's offense is good....because of Kyle and it will stay good regardless of which coaches he loses? Like Slowik may be a quality coach, but Kyle will find someone else to replace him, likely Kubiak. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

When will folks realize that Kyle's offense is good....because of Kyle and it will stay good regardless of which coaches he loses? Like Slowik may be a quality coach, but Kyle will find someone else to replace him, likely Kubiak. 

lol no doubt. I was thinking this exact same thing this morning reading about the Slowik news. Watching Scangarello go to Denver to be the OC and Lafuer following Saleh to NYJ are pretty decent indicators that, just because you are on Kyle’s staff, doesn’t mean you have the knowledge or talent that he does automatically.

I think McDaniel was easily our biggest loss on the offensive side of the ball, and he’s been with Kyle since the beginning of time. 

The offensive coach I’m really not looking forward to losing is Griese. He seems to have done an outstanding job with our QBs this year, and I hope we can keep him on our staff for as long as possible.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

If the Eagles win tomorrow, I wonder what the chances are that the Thursday night season opener is Niners @ Eagles?

And if so, I hope that week 2 is either the Steelers or the Commanders game, so they can do the WV stayover.

It would have to be up there, I would imagine. The NFL couldn't ask for a better situation with how the playoff game ended and whatnot and then to have them scheduled to play right off the bat. 

Can't say I'd hate it....if we are going to be slow starting out of the gate, which we are most years under this regime, may as well let that be against the good teams lol

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

It would have to be up there, I would imagine. The NFL couldn't ask for a better situation with how the playoff game ended and whatnot and then to have them scheduled to play right off the bat. 

Can't say I'd hate it....if we are going to be slow starting out of the gate, which we are most years under this regime, may as well let that be against the good teams lol

Would rather take those Ls where they’d hurt less. You don’t want to be losing to the Bears, Falcons, and Broncos of this year, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Guessing the team goes for a full-time OC again like they did when LaFleur left? Lynn, Griese, and Foerster seem like potential options there if they don't do an external hire like Wilks again

There's really no reason to and I'd wager there's basically no shot that they go with someone external unless it's like a friend of Kyle. Makes more sense to keep it internal and try to grow and develop the coach and staff organically. 

The only reason to name one is to keep other teams from poaching a guy you're developing, tbh (since you can block a lateral move).  Pretty sure that's why we did it last time. 

• Like 3

I could see Kubiak getting promoted from Asst.QB coach to pass game coordinator, along with hiring an inexperienced coach as QC. Then when Kubiak gets poached for an OC job, you promote the QC coach. Rinse & repeat 

We definitely have a great coaching staff and a large part of that is due to Kyle's connections, so i think we'll be able to replace almost everyone.

The only coach i'm worried about losing is Kocurek, but if he didn't take the DC job with Ryans in Houston, where he'd go back home to Texas, get a big raise & probably not call plays, then he's probably safe to be our DL coach as long as he wants to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This, we keep hearing how these offensive assistant losses will hurt the 49ers, yet the offense got better in 2022 IMO anyway. Kyle is the genius behind the offense, not McDaniel's, or Slowik.

39 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

This, we keep hearing how these offensive assistant losses will hurt the 49ers, yet the offense got better in 2022 IMO anyway. Kyle is the genius behind the offense, not McDaniel's, or Slowik.

To be fair the offense did look pretty mediocre last year before we added the best receiving back in the league

Edited by jonnguy2015