2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Man, Shanny's and Kubiaks just can't quit each other. Its damn near incestuous at this point. 

And I love it. From San Francisco to Denver, to Houston I'll never get tired of that ZBS tribe red zone hiccups be damned. 

Strangely, he 49ers  haven't won a Super Bowl since they had a Shanahan and Kubiak on staff along with a McCaffery in the saddle. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I was doing a search for something else and found myself in a very old thread. Found this gem and kind of feel like after watching his rookie deal play out, this quote still kind of holds up and makes sense lol.  It made me giggle then, makes me giggle now. 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, John232 said:

Mike McGlinchey talking about crying during an Emile Clarke film...very low testosterone. Soy. Hard pass, unless it's the 3rd round. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Could Tartt be an option for depth? Surprised nobody picked him up after the Eagles cut him

I doubt it. If anything I wouldn’t be surprised if we went heavy in the draft. From my understanding our personnel were heavily scouting the dbs at the senior bowl. Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Could Tartt be an option for depth? Surprised nobody picked him up after the Eagles cut him

I think he's done. The fact that nobody put him on a practice squad even (including us) just speaks volume. At this point, he may sign somewhere, but he seems likely to be camp fodder 

On 2/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, Forge said:

The free agent safety market is kind of stacked right now, so I hope we make a move on it. 

Same. Jessie Bates is the big ticket and would look amazing in Red and Gold, but it's probably a pipe dream. 

If Juan Thornhill somehow makes it to the open market, he'd be a top priority for me. Deshon Elliot and Julian Love would also be interesting.

Looking a bit lower on the AAV, I like the idea of Rodney McLeod, Duron Harmon, and Nasir Adderley. 

• Like 2

I've said this before but I'll repeat here...we need to bring Tarvarious Moore back.

The guy was one of our most underrated defenders just two years ago.

Achilles injuries are notorious for taking almost two years to fully recover from.

I think it'd be best for both parties for him to come back on a cheap one-year deal, in a schene he knows and compete for a starting safety spot.

Dude had crazy potential before the Achilles injury.

I think he could really surprise if given a fair shake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I've said this before but I'll repeat here...we need to bring Tarvarious Moore back.

The guy was one of our most underrated defenders just two years ago.

Achilles injuries are notorious for taking almost two years to fully recover from.

I think it'd be best for both parties for him to come back on a cheap one-year deal, in a schene he knows and compete for a starting safety spot.

Dude had crazy potential before the Achilles injury.

I think he could really surprise if given a fair shake.

I'd bring him back for his special teams acumen as a fifth safety, and if he bounces back defensively, that's just gravy. He looked cooked last year defensively, but I agree about the two year Achilles thing

• Like 2

I think a position to keep an eye on during the transition is nickel back. Wilks matches up base O against Nickel D more than most coordinators.  It doesn't look like Ward will be back, especially to play inside at this point in his career.  Having a guy who can hold up equally well against the run and the pass will be a challenge.  I had high hopes for Womack going into the year, but he was seeing the field like a rookie out there.  Hopefully can can settle into a role his second year.  Lenior played well inside the first few weeks, but he also played well at outside corner, and outside corner has more value.  His versatility can give the 9ers the option of picking up an inside or outside corner in free agency or the draft.  Maybe Jenkins can fill one of those roles, Ambry Thomas is still hanging around the roster somewhere.