2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

On 2/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, P_locniners said:

but really, aside from the workouts, it would be beneficial for him to be around the Bosas to work on technique at the same time as getting in shape. I think a little would go a long way in that regard

I'd rather drake refine his technique with kocerek than Nick Bosa. 

Just because someone is a good player doesn't make them a great teacher. Different skill sets and Nick doesn't strike me as the type of guy to do this sort of thing for an entire off-season. A weekend? Sure. 4-5 months? Nah. 

We have the best DL coach in football more or less, use him! Lol

On 2/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, P_locniners said:

but really, aside from the workouts, it would be beneficial for him to be around the Bosas to work on technique at the same time as getting in shape. I think a little would go a long way in that regard

Just because someone is a good player doesn't make them a great teacher. Different skill sets and Nick doesn't strike me as the type of guy to do this sort of thing for an entire off-season. A weekend? Sure. 4-5 months? Nah. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I remember reading something this past offseason from Charles Omenihu talking about how Bosa explained to him how to rebuild his body and that he didn't need to carry extra weight to be 'sturdy' so to speak.

I hope Drake gets rid of some of his baby fat this offseason and adds some muscle. Jackson is uber athletic already and could really take the next step with an offseason in our strength and conditioning program. I think we'll see a leaner but stronger Jackson coming into TC this year. 

• Like 2

Tonyan interests me as well, just don’t know what his cost will be, but we seem to be looking for that 2nd TE threat every year and Tonyan has shown to be a pretty good receiver at times

Tonyan should get a starting job somewhere, he may have the best hands out any TE in the league. Could see him following Rodgers too, even if that's back in GB. They can't be counting on Degura, he's not a receiving threat at all right now

Akins and Pruitt are good receivers (don't know about blocking) that could come here cheap.

I hope Jennings comes back, but if not there are quite a few options out there to replace him..  Westbrook-Ikhine would be my top choice

Edit, nvm Jennings is restricted so surely they will bring him back

Edited by adamq

14 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I remember reading something this past offseason from Charles Omenihu talking about how Bosa explained to him how to rebuild his body and that he didn't need to carry extra weight to be 'sturdy' so to speak.

I hope Drake gets rid of some of his baby fat this offseason and adds some muscle. Jackson is uber athletic already and could really take the next step with an offseason in our strength and conditioning program. I think we'll see a leaner but stronger Jackson coming into TC this year. 

Yeah, Drake looked heavy-footed towards the end of the year after starting off in training camp through the first couple of weeks of the regular season looking nimble. He looked around 270, too, just by my rough eye test, when I think his best weight spot is probably 255-260. Drake's a shorter guy with long arms; he doesn't need the weight to win with power. Leverage and arm length would get him there even ignoring his explosion at that weight. But he just was not threatening anyone around the edge by the end of the season.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, adamq said:

Tonyan should get a starting job somewhere, he may have the best hands out any TE in the league. Could see him following Rodgers too, even if that's back in GB. They can't be counting on Degura, he's not a receiving threat at all right now

Nah, pass from me. Tonyan has looked very slow since he tore his ACL. Just doesn't have any juice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Nah, pass from me. Tonyan has looked very slow since he tore his ACL. Just doesn't have any juice. 

He'd definitely be worth bringing in for a minimum deal like they did with Kroft. I don't see that happening though, as I said somebody will pay him a similar deal he got last year, 1/3.7m

Just now, Forge said:

I have interest in Irv Smith if we are bringing in a tight end

Yes, I really liked the tools he had coming out of Alabama.  I think his athleticism and blocking would fit in.  He would be like a younger, athletic Jordan Reed in the passing game.  He would also be a good matchup blocker in the running game.

Kyle Shanahan became less aggressive on 4th downs in 2022. Shanahan ranked 26th in “go for it when he should” situations based on win probability gain.

The 49ers boast one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL. That’s been the case for a few seasons, but the Niners went to another level after acquiring Christian McCaffrey. Despite having a quarterback he was confident in and weapons surrounding Brock Purdy, Shanahan’s aggressiveness on fourth downs didn’t change.

In last year’s Football Outsiders Aggressiveness Index rankings, Kyle went for it on fourth downs at a 16 percent clip, which was below league average. This year, Shanahan remained subpar as his go-for-it rate dropped to 13.5 percent.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/2/23/23611550/49ers-kyle-shanahan-aggressive-index

What Kyle said back in 2017:

“First of all, I think there is no absolute answer. I know you can get the analytics, and go with percentages and things like that, but there are penalties, there are missed field goals — there’s different opinions. And that’s why a lot of times you’ve gotta go with your gut, which is usually what I do. I always listen to the analytics, I hear the percentages, and then you’ve gotta go with how you feel.

“I sit and meet with our analytics guys about once a week and go through stuff. It could say it’s a 95 percent field goal, but that doesn’t say what the weather is. That doesn’t say maybe your long snapper has been struggling. It doesn’t say how your kicker’s been struggling because of what happened the week before. There’s so many variables that go into things in the NFL — weather, home or on the road — that you can’t always take that stuff as absolutes."

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

well, I think it might be time to move on from the loss.

I think I am going to spend a lot of time looking for a guy to possibly eventually replace Juice.  Any underrated talent on defense would be a welcome addition to depth at this point.  Any late round Rac machines are always welcome on the roster as well. 

I didn't watch any college football last year.  I am not sure how to scout a draft without looking at any of the top 100 guys.  My draft research strategy is to learn about the top 50, then get information on players that get my attention from there.  

• Like 1