What is your assessment of Zac Taylor?

SmittyBacall

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I haven’t been paying attention as much to the Bengals this year. But is Taylor doing a better job of mitigating the pass pressure on Burrow this season with his play calling and design?

He hasn’t really had to scheme around it considering how much better the OL is playing, which I think has allowed him to dip into his bag a bit more. I’ve noticed the play design is a lot more creative in general. Exhibit A being the perfectly executed flea flicker from a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Good coach. Even more surprising is that Lou Anamuro (sp?) has been such a good DC. 

He’s been downright fantastic. We had a dominant stretch this season in which opposing teams didn’t score a touchdown in the 2nd half for 7 straight games. Which has only been achieved 3 times since 1970. His 2nd half adjustments are the best in the league.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I hear this a lot, especially with QBs. 

And it’s just…yeah, of course you’ll credit the [insert good parts] in wins, and of course you’ll blame the [insert bad parts] in losses. Why would you do anything else? 

Especially with how often Cincy's offense has been predicated on Burrow making a big play, and how often that's with Chase. It's not fair that Taylor gets zero credit for having a big play offense, sure, but how many coaches on the other side are going "**** I wish I had thought of having a franchise QB throw a perfect bomb to a franchise WR"?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

but how many coaches on the other side are going "**** I wish I had thought of having a franchise QB throw a perfect bomb to a franchise WR"?

I immediately thought of this:

The Monty Burns school of coaching is undefeated. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Especially with how often Cincy's offense has been predicated on Burrow making a big play, and how often that's with Chase. It's not fair that Taylor gets zero credit for having a big play offense, sure, but how many coaches on the other side are going "**** I wish I had thought of having a franchise QB throw a perfect bomb to a franchise WR"?

Also to be fair, a lot of coaches have a tendency to outsmart themselves when it comes to game planning and go away from their strengths. It feels like every HC should be spamming a particular move until it doesn’t work anymore. I give Taylor credit for that at least.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Also to be fair, a lot of coaches have a tendency to outsmart themselves when it comes to game planning and go away from their strengths. It feels like every HC should be spamming a particular move until it doesn’t work anymore. I give Taylor credit for that at least.

It's what the Falcons did with Matt Ryan and Julio for years. It works. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 3:05 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

Taylor is a testament to the idea that we, as fans, decide pretty quickly on which coaches we like and don't like. When a coach we don't like wins, we say it's in spite of him. When he loses, it's his fault. Conversely, when a coach we like wins, it's down to their greatness. When they lose, it's not their fault. It's very hard for a coach to become liked when it's already been decided that he's bad. So Taylor will pretty much always be disregarded on a McCarthy-esque level; when he wins, we'll credit Burrow and/or the receivers. When he loses, it's because Taylor sucks.

You nailed it. 

I like Zac, he has gotten better over time and I think he will continue to get better... 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not fair that Taylor gets zero credit for having a big play offense, sure, but how many coaches on the other side are going "**** I wish I had thought of having a franchise QB throw a perfect bomb to a franchise WR"?

This was true last season and during the Super Bowl run, but hasn’t been the case at all this season. The offense has been far more methodical and efficient, which is partly why I think they’re better this year than last. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He hasn’t really had to scheme around it considering how much better the OL is playing, which I think has allowed him to dip into his bag a bit more. I’ve noticed the play design is a lot more creative in general. Exhibit A being the perfectly executed flea flicker from a few weeks ago. 

Somewhat disagree.  They are getting the ball out much quicker this year, partly to offset cover 2, and partly to mitigate the pressure given up by the OTs.

"Managers produce players, coaches produce teams."

Of the geeks who predicted the rise of the Bengals last year [largely due to their positional schedules] none are putting Zac Taylor below average.  Some place him in the top five because of a bottom line metric:  the difference between aggregate talent (15th) and overall standings (T6th).  All mention the job Zac has done this year with the pass protection. 

Myself, I won't make any predictions for 2023 until I see the schedules and I don't always agree with his play calling but Taylor is, in my estimation, comfortably above average.  Cinci will be a very difficult out in the playoffs.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
typo
  • Like 3