2023 Free Agency

Dessie

As some of the other posters have said, we have massive holes at important positions & it seems like we’ve only created more holes so far. Idk how we can plan to be competitive counting on 2nd & 3rd tier depth guys to start along with however many rookies they end up drafting. still a few guys out there that could help but I’m not getting my hopes up. On another note, sometimes I come here to talk ball, other times for a laugh. 
Some of you guys never disappoint with the back and forth bickering, thanks for the laughs guys 🤣

• Like 2

Raiders strategy on defense is baffling. If you stay at 7 or trade down you probably can get 3-4 starters from the draft on defense but it’s weird how they’re not really doing anything about it. For being the west coast Pats they sure don’t value defense like the Pats have always done 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders strategy on defense is baffling. If you stay at 7 or trade down you probably can get 3-4 starters from the draft on defense but it’s weird how they’re not really doing anything about it. For being the west coast Pats they sure don’t value defense like the Pats have always done 

Yeah, this is the one thing that is giving me cause for concern. I'm all about patience and letting them build the team in their image, but this seems downright negligent. I'm hoping they're going to be very very active in the next week or two with value signings aimed at the D to build a baseline and then head to the draft for adding talent and depth, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting worried.

• Like 2

Raiders have 65 million tied into the cap this year on defense. Over 40% of that is tied into two players. Extremely odd and it’s really my old complaint with Zig and McDaniels. After last season. You would think some urgency to just put better players out there on defense, but just haven’t seen it. 

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders have 65 million tied into the cap this year on defense. Over 40% of that is tied into two players. Extremely odd and it’s really my old complaint with Zig and McDaniels. After last season. You would think some urgency to just put better players out there on defense, but just haven’t seen it. 

I agree. Very disappointing free agency so far. The value and structure are good, but even the most staunch Ziegler supporter would be underwhelmed with this group. Unless literally no one wants to play here, this isn't good enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree. Very disappointing free agency so far. The value and structure are good, but even the most staunch Ziegler supporter would be underwhelmed with this group. Unless literally no one wants to play here, this isn't good enough.

This class was pretty weak. Lot of value guys left. Van Ginkel and John Johnson are coming in, 2 good role players potentially. 

I think the plan is clear now. They want to build through the draft, homegrown talent and not get caught up wasting money on splash FA signings. I'm okay with that if they can hit in the draft. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

No real changes to the defense or OL at this point have been surprising to say the least. There’s still time of course, and they could nail the draft, but I really did expect an impact signing or two in an area of need.

That said, when is the last time a team went out and “won” Free Agency by spending big in the first week, and actually went on to win anything?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This class was pretty weak. Lot of value guys left. Van Ginkel and John Johnson are coming in, 2 good role players potentially. 

I think the plan is clear now. They want to build through the draft, homegrown talent and not get caught up wasting money on splash FA signings. I'm okay with that if they can hit in the draft. 

Yeah but I don't buy this 100%. Sure you want to build through the draft. But there are guys we could have signed at the prices they were available for or slightly more.

I think Epps is decent from what I've seen. But over Von Bell for example? Or Poyer? Unless I'm missing something, I think we could have done more.

I think Johnson and Van Ginkel would be great signings, for what it's worth.

Obviously the draft will be key. But you need to use every route available in this brutal AFC West. Unless they aren't worried about job security at all.

• Like 2

Mike Gesicki to Pats on a good deal. Man, we should have signed him. He's young, and a talented athletic freak. He's great in the red zone, and our team sucks in the red zone.I know it's a great TE class, but Gesicki would have been nice.  The Waller trade would have looked better if we had a Jedi move and signed Gesicki with the pick. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

Yeah, this is the one thing that is giving me cause for concern. I'm all about patience and letting them build the team in their image, but this seems downright negligent. I'm hoping they're going to be very very active in the next week or two with value signings aimed at the D to build a baseline and then head to the draft for adding talent and depth, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting worried.

We could very easily land starting caliber D players through the top 150, and we have 7 of those as it stands. 

We have Jimmy, so we're going to be run-first and we're set at RB. Trade Renfrow hopefully (nothing but love tho) because Adams and Meyers and the RBs are probably going to be the bulk of the pass game. 

But we can't do something stupid like trade up. Trade 7 back and accumulate 2 or 3 more picks in the top 150. 

Worst, we stand pat at 7. 

Out of the 7 top 150, we NEED a DT, CB, LB, Edge, TE, QB2. There's 6 of those picks with a bit of wiggle room. Getting 2 or 3 or even 4 more would be supreme for building up our "base". This is a year we need to give up a little bit of quality for a high yield on solid but not spectacular quantity, especially on D. It's the right year and circumstances for us to do it and worry about a stud or two next year. 

It's doable, but I can see is doing something rash like trading up and having 1 star and a bunch of turds to drag them down for the next year or two at best. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

We could very easily land starting caliber D players through the top 150, and we have 7 of those as it stands. 

We have Jimmy, so we're going to be run-first and we're set at RB. Trade Renfrow hopefully (nothing but love tho) because Adams and Meyers and the RBs are probably going to be the bulk of the pass game. 

But we can't do something stupid like trade up. Trade 7 back and accumulate 2 or 3 more picks in the top 150. 

Worst, we stand pat at 7. 

Out of the 7 top 150, we NEED a DT, CB, LB, Edge, TE, QB2. There's 6 of those picks with a bit of wiggle room. Getting 2 or 3 or even 4 more would be supreme for building up our "base". This is a year we need to give up a little bit of quality for a high yield on solid but not spectacular quantity, especially on D. It's the right year and circumstances for us to do it and worry about a stud or two next year. 

It's doable, but I can see is doing something rash like trading up and having 1 star and a bunch of turds to drag them down for the next year or two at best. 

That's my fear as well. In an ideal world we trade back a good bit, add a couple more picks in the top 125 and secure some decent starting talent to build with, but because we are Raiders fans I'm expecting a trade up, Richardson pick, and absolute failure. Praying it isn't the case.

• Like 1

It just struck me why we’ve been quiet this FA period, we do have a ‘Superbowl QB’ and Jimmy G apparently ‘just wins’ so maybe we don’t actually need to bolster the roster as according to some wins are a QB stat and we have one of the best given his win/loss record. Therefore, what’s the point in buying talent when we don’t really need it? He’ll just win automatically won’t he?

• Like 4