2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

I think we are going to trade down from 15. I think Douglas wants to make sure that the team is prepared in the unfortunate event that Rodgers retires after one year. 

I think there are enough players in this draft who could fall to 15 that might command a 2024 first. Players like Levis, Richardson, Robinson, Smith-Njigba to name four. I think we move down to the lower end of Round 1. Adding a '23 third and '24 first would be huge.

Also, I think trading the No. 42 pick kills all thoughts of drafting a center. We will probably look at drafting a developmental interior O-lineman on day 3. I believe once they realized they had to trade 42, that is when they decided to bring back their starting center (McGovern). It is too much of a coincidence that the Rodgers deal happened, 42 was surrendered and McGovern was re-signed all in the same afternoon.

Plus, there is no pressure to draft help for Rodgers. There is pressure to sign more veterans to help Rodgers. 

To that end, I have concerns about the RB situation. Hall may not be an impact RB right out of the gate. So I think we need to sign a veteran stopgap just in case. Someone like Elliott on the cheap after June 1 makes sense to me.

If we don't trade down, I think it will probably be because of Broderick Jones. If we drafted him, then he and Duane Brown can play LT and Becton and Mitchell can play RT. The depth would be nice.

If we trade down, then we are probably looking at someone like Anton Harrison, Matthew Bergeron or a defensive tackle like Mazi Smith or Kancey. 

The public narrative for the next few days is going to be all about "getting help for Rodgers". I am not buying it. Rodgers wants more veterans. He will leave the draft to the organization. 

This is going to be FUN!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NJC33 said:

With Rodgers officially onboard, who’s left that could follow? 

Hughes makes it sounds like we’ll be adding more pieces. Would think Rodgers attracts 1-2 “ring chasers” into the mix.

Talk is Donald Driver, Gregg Jennings and Jordy Nelson. Also heard AJ Hawk is coming on board to round out the linebacker core. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think we are going to trade down from 15.

Agreed. In fact, I can see is trading down twice out of round 1 to acquire 2’ and 3’s. Then we can look at OC/OG, DT as well as OT.  At this point, I’d rather have the quantity in round 2 and 3.  This years overall class is kinda of meh. We may be able to land just as good a starter on day 2 as on day 1.

The sucky part is staying up way past bedtime to find that out.

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think we are going to trade down from 15. I think Douglas wants to make sure that the team is prepared in the unfortunate event that Rodgers retires after one year. 

Imagine making an all-in trade for Rodgers, and then making a win-in-the-future trade.  They're not trading down to get a '24 FRP.

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think there are enough players in this draft who could fall to 15 that might command a 2024 first. Players like Levis, Richardson, Robinson, Smith-Njigba to name four. I think we move down to the lower end of Round 1. Adding a '23 third and '24 first would be huge.

Keep telling yourself that those players are either A) going to be on the board at 15 and/or B) going to command a future FRP in a trade down.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Imagine making an all-in trade for Rodgers, and then making a win-in-the-future trade.  They're not trading down to get a '24 FRP.

Keep telling yourself that those players are either A) going to be on the board at 15 and/or B) going to command a future FRP in a trade down.

Trade is done. Why are you in here caring about our draft now?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Also, I think trading the No. 42 pick kills all thoughts of drafting a center. We will probably look at drafting a developmental interior O-lineman on day 3. I believe once they realized they had to trade 42, that is when they decided to bring back their starting center (McGovern). It is too much of a coincidence that the Rodgers deal happened, 42 was surrendered and McGovern was re-signed all in the same afternoon.

Plus, there is no pressure to draft help for Rodgers. There is pressure to sign more veterans to help Rodgers. 

To that end, I have concerns about the RB situation. Hall may not be an impact RB right out of the gate. So I think we need to sign a veteran stopgap just in case. Someone like Elliott on the cheap after June 1 makes sense to me.

If we don't trade down, I think it will probably be because of Broderick Jones. If we drafted him, then he and Duane Brown can play LT and Becton and Mitchell can play RT. The depth would be nice.

If we trade down, then we are probably looking at someone like Anton Harrison, Matthew Bergeron or a defensive tackle like Mazi Smith or Kancey. 

The public narrative for the next few days is going to be all about "getting help for Rodgers". I am not buying it. Rodgers wants more veterans. He will leave the draft to the organization. 

This is going to be FUN!

I see the Jets drafting down also and I agree with you on Kancey in round one though and a guy like Mauch in round 2. But if a player like Bijan is available at 15 do you let him pass? Especially knowing the do everything RB in Breese Hall is a question mark, and your hoping for the best outcome. 

I wouldn't pass on Bijan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If you don't enjoy talking football, you're probably on the wrong forum.  And I'd consider myself a draft enthusiast, and enjoy talking about it.  I believe the last time a team traded up for a non-top 12 pick and dealt a future FRP was in 2018 when the Packers traded down with the Saints and got their '19 FRP.  Other than that, I don't think we've seen any future FRPs being dealt for a non-top 12 pick since 2007 when the 49ers traded a future FRP to select Joe Staley.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you don't enjoy talking football, you're probably on the wrong forum.  And I'd consider myself a draft enthusiast, and enjoy talking about it.  I believe the last time a team traded up for a non-top 12 pick and dealt a future FRP was in 2018 when the Packers traded down with the Saints and got their '19 FRP.  Other than that, I don't think we've seen any future FRPs being dealt for a non-top 12 pick since 2007 when the 49ers traded a future FRP to select Joe Staley.

I think I speak for all of our fan base on here (please any of you others chime in if you want). But our experience "talking football" with GB fans was far from pleasant. In fact most your fan base is pretty blatantly rude. And now that debating and such is over with bc the trade is complete... talking football with GB fans doesn't seem like something for us (once again if anyone disagrees that's a Jets fan, feel free to tell me I'm wrong or talk to GB fans).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You forget Woody acted like we were QB away from Super Bowl.  We got Rodgers so the rest of off season action is irrelevant.      JD granted Woody's wish so he can go back to his usual business.  Whatever it is.  staying pat or trading up or down or whatever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm afraid you were wrong about the compensation and the other Jet fan is wrong here again.

Let's say the Eagles move up for the Texas RB and swap with the Jets. At best, the Jets would get their third this year and MAYBE a second next year... definitely not a FRP. Again, the Jets could do that if all their top 14 or so players are gone.

I don't understand why the Jet fans couldn't be honest about the compensation required to get AR. I was a lot closer to what the ultimate cost was.

Edited by WheatieMan

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

And oh!    We wont' get 2024 first round pick unless we trade out of 1st round.

Logically speaking, who is going to give up a '24 FRP without the Jets moving past the range of the OTs?  GMs aren't willing to give up future FRPs simply because another team desires them.  They're usually pretty prudent when dealing them.

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

I'm afraid you were wrong about the compensation and the other Jet fan is wrong here again.

Let's say the Eagles move up for the Texas RB and swap with the Jets. At best, the Jets would get their third this year and MAYBE a second next year... definitely not a FRP. Again, the Jets could do that if all their top 14 or so players are gone.

I don't understand why the Jet fans couldn't be honest about the compensation required to get AR. I was a lot closer to what the ultimate cost was.

How was me saying all along we'd give up 42 or 43 and a 2nd in 2024 that could turn into a 1st with conditions wrong?

We did a pick swap from 13 to 15 and did one moving us up from 207 to 170. The values of those differences equals a 4th rounder. So nothing crazy and is really a non factor if the guy we want doesn't go 13 or 14.

And the conditions for it to go to a 1st was just a lot easier than I thought.

But to bring it back to swinging it our way is him looking fully committed to 2 years (or maybe even more) and he reworked his deal for us to go all in (something he's never done as a Packer recently). He seems motivated to win a SB and for at least a 2 year or more window.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

You forget Woody acted like we were QB away from Super Bowl.  We got Rodgers so the rest of off season action is irrelevant.      JD granted Woody's wish so he can go back to his usual business.  Whatever it is.  staying pat or trading up or down or whatever.

I was just going to respond with something similar.  AR is a Woody thing.  He was willing to make that horrible trade - NOT JD.  Now JD can go back to doing what JD is being paid to do which is to make this a better FB team now and for the future.