What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

Well, if Rodgers comes back, it doesn't really matter who the DC is. This team is going no where anyhow. A forty year old QB is is going to be brittle and playing with an age-reduced skill set. The best outcome from that scenario would be a high draft choice, losing a mediocre HC and his mediocre OC and his disaster DC. And getting Love some playing time. 

I swear I really can't figure out the reasoning at 1265 Lombardi. Do they really think they can compete with Detroit and Minnesota with Barry and Rodgers? This is hubris writ large!

37 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Well, if Rodgers comes back, it doesn't really matter who the DC is. This team is going no where anyhow. A forty year old QB is is going to be brittle and playing with an age-reduced skill set. The best outcome from that scenario would be a high draft choice, losing a mediocre HC and his mediocre OC and his disaster DC. And getting Love some playing time. 

I swear I really can't figure out the reasoning at 1265 Lombardi. Do they really think they can compete with Detroit and Minnesota with Barry and Rodgers? This is hubris writ large!

Well now I think everyone is just in job preservation PR mode. This is the first time I’ve ever thought the org was “just okay with making the playoffs” and, heh heh, they couldn’t even do that. 

I can’t wait to hear about what fun “trips” Rodgers was taking while the rest of the team goes through OTAs. I hope when I hear about it, he is recanting the story to some big idiot smoking a cigar and swallowing alpha brain and/or a man boy in jean shorts who pretends he can’t sit still and is excited by everything anyone says 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't know if its stubburness, I think it's him being a bit soft and not wanting to fire someone.

Remember how long it took him to fire Drayton?  LaFleur was trying to find some way to keep him around in a reduced role, but it just never made sense.  With a Pettine, his contract expired and they both agreed to part ways.

Just my two cents but here are my thoughts on next year.

QB: Ideally Rodger retires. If not, you tell Rodgers we would gladly have you back but we need to change some stuff first. Packers need to tell Rodgers that he needs to show up for OTAs, stop dictating the play calls and play within the system. Also, if he gets an injury that affects his performance, the Packers must play Love. 

RB: I love Aaron Jones but unless he takes an extension that lessen his cap hit we need to let him go. 

WR: Need another top WR in the draft. Need to get Addison or JSN to provide the slot with a nuanced route runner that has some agility. 

OL: I don’t know anything about oline play but what I do know is that when playing against a physically imposing DL we get man-handled. Need to start making a mindset shift to more physically dominant player over finesse. 

DL: Love Wyatt and think he can be an impact player with the right coaching. We need to understand Clarks issues because we can’t pay him top dollar and have him go unnoticed for half the season. Also, need one more player that can run stop. 

EDGE: Feel good if Gary can come back strong but you can never have enough pass rushers. 

LB: Quay and Campbell- we are good there. Concerned that Campbell lost a step so need to keep an eye on that and maybe have him shed a few pounds to help with that lost step a little.

CB: Ja/Douglas/Stokes- studs but they need to keep their mouths shut until after the game. Also, need to figure out the 12 yards off man thing. 

Safety: Need massive help. Don’t have a solution but might suggest trading a 3rd round pick for a veteran safety or try Douglas there if he is interested 

Edited by LuckyIrish23
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Well now I think everyone is just in job preservation PR mode. This is the first time I’ve ever thought the org was “just okay with making the playoffs” and, heh heh, they couldn’t even do that. 

You know, hearing Barry is coming back is harder to take than losing to Detroit.

• Like 3

I am going to assume that we massage the cap like we did last season, and return the players under contract, and have money to sign a FA or two.  Obviously, we aren't going to get into bidding wars with the Bears, we are signing the Sammy Watkins and Jarran Reeds of 2023.  And yes, that means Rodgers and Love are on my team in this exercise, everyone go cry in your respective safe spaces.

-My first step in FA is seeing what the price tag of Allen Lazard and Robert Tonyan comes to.  I think they play similar enough roles that we don't need both, but keeping one would help with continuity and fill a need.  I prefer Lazard, but suspect that Tonyan will be cheaper.  I think we retain Tonyan.  

-I like the pieces we have returning on the DL.  I am still hoping to troll around and find another Jarran Reed type vet for around 3 million.

-The price has to be right, because I just have a feeling that it may bite me in the ***, but see what Keisean Nixon wants to stay on in his current role.  He added a spark to special teams that we haven't had in 20 or 30 years.

That probably uses all the FA money that I can afford.

-From what I can find, we have 8 draft picks. We don't have a 6th, but we have 3 7ths.  Going by the roster, I want: Safety, TE, WR, RB, DL, 2 interior OL, and another project edge like Garvin or Kendall Donnerson.  And get ready to break something, but if there is a worthy safety, that is my first round pick.  I probably also try to trade down in the 2nd a little to see if I can get an extra 4th or 5th, where I think the kind of WR or RB I am looking for in this draft tend to be pretty good values.

Complete overhaul even at the price of taking a few years. I'm sick and tired of this team, biggest chokers in NFL in the last decade, Rodgers is to blame the most, the money he is getting he should be producing when it matters most but he chokes 90% of the time in crucial moments , either that or lower your salary so we can build a better team.

What's weird about the question posed in the thread title is that it's not immediately obvious what the top priority should be. I guess this can be a positive (no major weaknesses) or a negative (no major strengths).

Team priorities:

-Begin cap repair. This is difficult because they'll have to start tightening just to make payroll for the season. I think $40M is the rough ballpark needed.

My larger concern comes when I examine each position group:

QB: I'll hold off on discussion, since this is obviously being discussed ad naseum. My only observation is that Rodgers costs $31M if he plays, $40M if he's traded or retires. So not that big of a difference financially.

RB: This might be the most interesting room. Jones looks like a cap casualty that can be re-signed. There are lots of high end free agents available, which should put a lid on Jones' price. So maybe $3-5M of savings available.

WR: Doubs/Watson look like locks, Toure is depth. Lots of work to do here. Lazard is a coin flip to come back in my opinion. Spotrac projects his value at $11M, which seems high for a WR2. He is a top 3 option on the WR market in terms of accomplished stats. Either way, I'm not real sure GB is either willing or able to afford that. Multiple draft picks needed.

TE: A complete overhaul probably needed. Not much to say. Lewis/Tonyan are both replaceable, but could be brought back for next to nothing. Draft pick needed.

Oline: This is the one that has me scratching my head the most. Is this room good, mediocre, overpaid, underpaid, overrated, underrated? Bakh says he wants to return, and I don't think he's enough of a savings to warrant cutting. Jenkins just resigned. Myers seems way up and down, oddly overrated. Runyan is steady but unspectacular. Nijman will be back, as he's only an ERFA. Tom available to fill in nearly anywhere, and Jenkins has shown versatility as well. Handful of developmental guys already signed. So basically 7/9 Oline are on rookie deals. Zach Tom looks ready to start when Bakh is done. So in conclusion there's not really much money to be saved here. I'm not opposed to drafting someone, but is there a starter here that'd you'd try to replace with a high pick?

Secondary: CB room is set, Safety a bigger question. Savage was benched but seemed to respond well the last two games of the year. Ford looks alright. Amos has lost a step, so room to upgrade. 

Edge/ILB: Preston and Gary both signed. Enagbare looks solid for depth. Quay and Campbell solid. Draft pick needed.

Dline: Kenny needs help, but found something with Wyatt. Draft picks needed to replace Lowry, Reed.

My upgrades:

I think the improvements will be slight. I'd look to find a fired coach/coordinator and bring them in as an assistant.

As painful as it sounds, I'm adjusting expectations. I would restructure Bakh, Preston, Gary, Jaire, and Jones to meet the cap, and they'll simply be too expensive to cut since you have to replace them anyways. I'd hope and pray the offense improves with draft picks and a year of seasoning, maybe bring in Hackett as an assistant. I'd hope and pray the defense gets better with some additions to the staff. Maybe Lovie Smith would want to come in as an assistant.

It's sad to say, but I think we're in year 1 of a 3 year purgatory, regardless of the QB situation.

My 2023 off-season would be built upon two major moves: 

1. Trade/Retire Rodgers -- time to commit to Love and give him a full year to see if he deserves an extension long term. It's time. 
  2. Firing Joe Barry -- this should have been the easiest decision of the entire off-season, but MLF is a chicken-**** and always will be. So we're stuck with Barry at this point and will have to live with the mixed results that come with that. 

From there, I would do the following: 

Offense: keep the OL basically intact. I'd keep Bak for one more season so Love has a bookend LT protecting him. Nijman probably walks as a result but we have some intriguing depth with guys like Tom (probably your new RT), Rhyan, Walker and Jones all returning. Keep Jenkins at LG and leave him there. At RB, we'll have to do some work on Jones' contract but again, the goal is to put Love in the best possible position for success and taking Aaron Jones away from him is not a good start. Restructure Jones to keep him here at least one more year and the keep the Jones/Dillon tandem intact. That leaves WR and TE, two positions where you need mini-to-major overhauls. At WR, Watson is a starter in 2023, Doubs hopefully takes a jump and Toure is a No. 4-5 prospect but nothing more at this point. Lazard and Cobb are gone and wouldn't get a second look from me unless Lazard winds up being really cheap. Personally, Packers should look to upgrade on 13 and 18 and add a viable WR threat to go with Watson and Doubs. At TE, the cheapest route is probably to just resign Tonyan. Frankly, I think Tonyan would probably have a better year with Love vs. Rodgers. Deguara is basically a fullback right now and it's time to say bye to Lewis as well. Even if Tonyan comes back, Packers need to use a Day 2 pick on a TE who is a threat in the passing game. 

Defense: DL should be okay. I would let Lowry walk and try to resign Reed for a modest deal. I think he'll still be cheap and was a decent player, especially in the second half of the season. EDGE needs more talent, especially with Gary being questionable for the start of the season. This position is the ideal spot for our No. 15 pick if the right player is there. Probably have to restructure Preston and hope Enagbare takes a jump, but we need another talented player at EDGE regardless. I would look at bringing Hollins back for cheap as a reserve player. At ILB, you have your starters and McDuffie. I would let Barnes walk but try to resign Eric Wilson for his ST ability. At CB, the only question is whether we can resign Nixon. Add some CB depth in the draft. Finally, at S, Amos is certain to be gone and Ford and Leavitt are both FAs. I'd try to resign Ford who can play D and ST. He'd a valuable player to have back. Either way, expect a top 100 pick on a S in the draft. 

Kicker: Crosby is coming off a good year, but personally, I'd save the $4-5 million there and draft his replacement. 

Honestly, I don't think you do much. Draft BPA + and make sure you hit OL and WR, and I think this team with another year of experience under its belt has a playoff run in it. I think next year's his last year, and then cue the spoiled fans groaning as it slowly sinks in how good we've had it for 30 years. Switching D Coordinators just pushes things out a couple years with the learning curve, and the talent is there on offense. We made the choice to stick with Rodgers already. Love got a raw deal, but that's the situation. 

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't know if its stubburness, I think it's him being a bit soft and not wanting to fire someone.

Of course he finally canned that awful ST coach and hired a much better replacement (I can't think of his name right now).