What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If Rodgers is back,

Gute has to draw a line in the sand. If Rodgers is serious about winning a SB he needs to rework his deal and give back some money. Gute needs to let Rodgers know this or it's gonna be a waste of time. Rodgers already admitted he's gained generational wealth. 50 extra million is not going to make or break him. If he's willing to give 25M back then we can give extensions and sign some FA. If he wants his full salary he can retire or go elsewhere. Rodgers needs to decide if it's about his legacy or personal economy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Gute has to draw a line in the sand. If Rodgers is serious about winning a SB he needs to rework his deal and give back some money. Gute needs to let Rodgers know this or it's gonna be a waste of time. Rodgers already admitted he's gained generational wealth. 50 extra million is not going to make or break him. If he's willing to give 25M back then we can give extensions and sign some FA. If he wants his full salary he can retire or go elsewhere. Rodgers needs to decide if it's about his legacy or personal economy.

I think I read the NFLPA would take issue with that?

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Gute has to draw a line in the sand. If Rodgers is serious about winning a SB he needs to rework his deal and give back some money. Gute needs to let Rodgers know this or it's gonna be a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Oh, DONT GO DEFENSE THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS!!! 

I am going to be a jerk...

Prepare yourselves for some disappointment. 

Rodgers has a lot of leverage over the team.  That is what he pushed for in his last contract.  He wants to go out on his terms, and with the Packers.  I don't think that he wants to go out on an injured season and a flop before the playoffs.  Will he rework some money? Probably.  I very much doubt that it will be as much as you want. 

And as for the defense early.  What are the biggest weaknesses this roster faces right now? Personally, I think that it is Safety.  And if you have any reservations about Enagbare being a full time starter, possibly edge again.  Then, you have TE.  TE has such a random distribution of draft position to good player that there is no easy solution.  Why did Austin Seferian-Jenkins and OJ Howard have average careers and Travis Kelce and Mark Andrews end up great? And if you don't like our WRs, then you and I just see different things.

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

It's never been about the money. I swear you guys care more about the Packers cap than our own GM does. When will you guys realize the cap isn't real?

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

It's never been about the money. I swear you guys care more about the Packers cap than our own GM does. When will you guys realize the cap isn't real?

The cap is real. It does have some flexibility in it with void years and the like. But it's not like it doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

The cap is real. It does have some flexibility in it with void years and the like. But it's not like it doesn't exist.

What players have we lost the last couple years that we desperately needed to keep because Aaron Rodgers gets paid too much?

Davante wanted out but we were still willing to pay him top dollar. There's a million loopholes to get around the cap. People have been doom and glooming our cap situation for the last 3 or so years yet we've still managed to keep almost all of our top end talent.

Before you say it would give us flexibility in free agency just realize what team you are a fan of, outside of 2019, we never sign high dollar free agents. It's just not what we do.

Edited by StatKing
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

What players have we lost the last couple years that we desperately needed to keep because Aaron Rodgers gets paid too much?

Davante wanted out but we were still willing to pay him top dollar. There's a million loopholes to get around the cap. People have been doom and glooming our cap situation for the last 3 or so years yet we've still managed to keep almost all of our top end talent.

Before you say it would give us flexibility in free agency just realize what team you are a fan of, outside of 2019, we never sign high dollar free agents. It's just not what we do.

True enough.   GB just tries to fill holes with competent players without breaking the bank.  They are still a draft and develop type team although that certainly has been hit n miss as with many teams.  Biggest issue for the Packers is they very seldom have a pick high enough to get that quality, quality type guy that can really make a difference.   Lightning in a bottle certainly is hard to find.     

11 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think I read the NFLPA would take issue with that?

You're correct. Rodgers $59M option is fully guaranteed, so it can't be reworked. It's either paid by the Packers or by another team. Rodgers's base salary is the vet minimum, so that can't even be reworked. It is about as iron clad as NFL contracts come.

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

This is what Saints fans said too

7 hours ago, StatKing said:

Don't you think these two points are related?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StatKing said:

It would have been nice to have Z, especially when Gary went down. It would have been nice to have Lucas Patrick at RG instead of Hanson. It would have been nice to have MVS as your deep threat before Watson's emergence rather than Sammy Watkins. 

45 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

It would have been nice to have Z, especially when Gary went down. It would have been nice to have Lucas Patrick at RG instead of Hanson. It would have been nice to have MVS as your deep threat before Watson's emergence rather than Sammy Watkins. 

Go ahead and add Corey Linsley. 

16 hours ago, Sandy said:

He is, and if Rodgers is coming back I'd have no issue with a second round tender. Wouldn't mind either if a team jumped on that. Might be harder to fit his tender under the cap if we do trade Rodgers.

Even if they don't, he's not bad as a third tackle for one year, even though a lot of our prospects project best at T. 

I suppose, to go back to the original document, you can see a way for this team to get back to an 11 or 12 win season next year. Do you really think that enough can be done to make it Super Bowl caliber? 

Sandy, OMG, yes!  I believe that it can be an 11-13 win club next year.  With our WR's getting experience?  And with higher picks coming in?

Rodgers was injured and had one of his worst years ever, which was still, what around the top 10, give or take a spot or two?

I think there is a scenario where Rodgers is back, healthy and we take off.

The Barry thing could hold us back, but I think the offense can leap forward with this offensive line and skill players.

But, I'm feeling very optimistic today.  And sometimes optimistic is a polite way of saying "foolish"!  :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

Uh, we wouldn't have Campbell, Tonyan or Douglas had Adams come back on that deal.  Those are the players we would have lost.

So instead we lost one.

52 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Sandy, OMG, yes!  I believe that it can be an 11-13 win club next year.  With our WR's getting experience?  And with higher picks coming in?

Rodgers was injured and had one of his worst years ever, which was still, what around the top 10, give or take a spot or two?

I think there is a scenario where Rodgers is back, healthy and we take off.

The Barry thing could hold us back, but I think the offense can leap forward with this offensive line and skill players.

But, I'm feeling very optimistic today.  And sometimes optimistic is a polite way of saying "foolish"!  :)

I think you're overrating the O-Line. In key games this year they were man handled. Maybe Bahk and Jenkins return to 100% next year. Hopefully. Myers hasn't shown much at C, and the real concern is the right side. Runyan and Nijman are journeymen and I don't see any upgrades on the roster, except Tom. If I'm the GM I take T at the first pick and G at the 2nd, and hope Tom takes over at C. Let Nijman walk and hope that Runyan, Walker, Myers, and Newman can provide depth. 

In cold night games late in January, the O-Line has to be good enough to take over a game.

• Like 1