Are the Chiefs the bad guys? v3.0

notthatbluestuff

9 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

You realize that the "us against the world" stuff is as old time right? All it takes is for a handful of talking heads to say something and it becomes blackboard material.

The Bengals used the same card just this year. 

It’s pretty rich from a Bengals fan, who’s Coach literally scoured the internet trying to find stuff to motivate his squad lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

They are moving in that direction, especially with all of ther "no one believed in us" and "no one even thought we'd make the playoffs" nonsense.

Uh where were you a year ago? 

chiefs traded Tyreek and nearly everybody picked the Chiefs to falter. That anybody else in the division would win it. The Bills were the overwhelming favorite. Some even had us last in the division. Unless you were a Chiefs fan nobody believed they’d win the SB, and heck even in the playoffs most picked the Bengals, and everybody said the Eagles were the better, more dominant team. 

not nonsense at all if you have a longer memory then a goldfish. 

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

chiefs traded Tyreek and nearly everybody picked the Chiefs to falter. That anybody else in the division would win it. The Bills were the overwhelming favorite. Some even had us last in the division. Unless you were a Chiefs fan nobody believed they’d win the SB, and heck even in the playoffs most picked the Bengals, and everybody said the Eagles were the better, more dominant team. 

Calm down

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/preseason_odds.htm

Only the 3rd heaviest SB odds in the entire league

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The only reason people picked the Bengals was the injury to Mahomes.  The Chiefs opened as favorites, the line shifted, but then it shifted back.  I'll concede that most people expected some regression due to trading Hill, but people who actually understand football also realize that try.  hose picks were used to retool the team, especially the secondary.  Sure, random fans on the interwebz bought in to Denver and possibly the Raiders, but Vegas never did.  What was the lowest odds they ever had to win the SB?  And those who are probably the best experts to follow, no?

• Like 2

As a Bengals fan I'll admit I do not care for them and they are the baddies in my mind, but that mostly stems from the rivalry we've developed over the past few years. I thought the "Burrowhead" thing was pretty funny and witty from Hilton and not cheap at all, but having the mayor chime in was stupid and out of place (leave it to politics to ruin everything). Overall I like the healthy banter back and forth as it makes for an entertaining, heated rivalry.

And I get using the underdog mentality but it feels unsuitable and a bit excessive for team that has now reached 5 consecutive AFC championships - a mark which is 2nd all-time trialing only the most dominant team of the 21st century (New England Patriots).

Anyway, they've entered Ravens/Steelers territory for me and are without question our biggest rival outside the division. I'm hoping we can get back on the winning track Week 1 on TNF next year. 

I don't think I agree with "well the betting line had the Chiefs as one of the favorites" as being evidence of not being questioned.

I do believe the Chiefs were doubted. 

-------

But the "doubts" were media perception/takes who are always going to make cases for the underdog (which most of the teams we played against were). We had those same people making arguments for us in 2018 when we were going against the big, bad Pats dynasty. 

So, in a sense, I get where the Chiefs are coming from in terms of the media constantly picking against them (although, they also had Nick Wright stanning them the whole year so it's not everyone).

But there also weren't many people suggesting the Chiefs would have a top 5 pick this year, even without Tyreek, so let's make that clear. This isn't a "everyone doubted us" like the Carolina Panthers won this year with Sam Darnold lol. This is more of a "we should have been the most picked team given resume, but people like to favor the underdogs" lol.

Edited by Soggust

Chiefs are a pretty likeable team, lots of good players, a couple charismatic figures, and they tend to not hold the most abrasive personalities for long. 

I agree that this season the Chiefs were somewhat doubted, after losing Tyreek and revamping their receiver room, with borderline talent. Their defense was also the subject of many discussions, and I don't think anyone expected the defense to play at such an high level. 

Given that they were still a TOP3, and at the worst top5 team, throughout the year, the disrespected part is a bit of a fantasy, though.

They were great from the start and their worst was still damn good. 

• Like 3

They're going to be hated hard now. They have been the best team in the NFL for a few years now, SB winners aside. They are the new Patriots. Of course they're going to be hated. Unjustifiably. I root for them to lose every game. Not because they have a bunch of scum on their team (sans Tyreek trade), but because they are really good & it's boring when the top dog runs the show for too long.

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The only reason people picked the Bengals was the injury to Mahomes.  The Chiefs opened as favorites, the line shifted, but then it shifted back.  I'll concede that most people expected some regression due to trading Hill, but people who actually understand football also realize that try.  hose picks were used to retool the team, especially the secondary.  Sure, random fans on the interwebz bought in to Denver and possibly the Raiders, but Vegas never did.  What was the lowest odds they ever had to win the SB?  And those who are probably the best experts to follow, no?

No I was repeatedly told the Bengals had a better team, and most media pundits thought that as well. Not only was Mahomes injured but Bengals just had too much firepower to compete with and a better defense, plus they were 3-0 with Burrow. The media in particular were picking every other West team as the new western winner.

Also everybody keeps bringing up Vegas Odds Like that means, well anything. I don’t think Players/coaches look at Vegas Odds unless they’re Calvin Ridley, or it’s really lopsided. The ‘experts’ are media guys who like to talk. Vegas odds are for gambling purposes to insure the house always wins

Edited by Chiefer

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

Also everybody keeps bringing up Vegas Odds Like that means, well anything. I don’t think Players/coaches look at Vegas Odds unless they’re Calvin Ridley, or it’s really lopsided. The ‘experts’ are media guys who like to talk. Vegas odds are for gambling purposes to insure the house always wins

You’re right. Skip Bayless is where I go to get my sports takes. Definitely more knowledgeable than the multibillion dollar industry that studies this stuff as if insane amounts of $$ are on the line. 

• Like 5

I don’t hate the Chiefs. Said it before, I’ll say it again, i actually like them and root for them outside of Bills games.

I think they were doubted in the sense of title contenders to an extent, I think they were +odds to win their division in September…lol…i don’t think many thought they were going to miss the playoffs like Kelce said though, that was a bit extreme. Trading Hill, replacing him with Juju and winning a super bowl is crazy.

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

No I was repeatedly told the Bengals had a better team, and most media pundits thought that as well. Not only was Mahomes injured but Bengals just had too much firepower to compete with and a better defense, plus they were 3-0 with Burrow. The media in particular were picking every other West team as the new western winner.

You have a choice to whether listen to people who get paid to push opinions, both right and obviously wrong to generate outrage amongst fans, to create more clicks in viewerships.

When I read all of the stuff about how the bengals were "lucky" or would be on tons on "5 out" lists, I simply choose to ignore it.  If Kelce uses it for motivation, great.  Whatever.  But to scream out that they overcame it is rather disingenuous to me.  That's all.    

To me, the Chiefs are a rivalry in the making as long as Burrow and Mahomes are around.  And the next time they play in an AFCCG, I want it in our house.

This topic just screams for a new title along the lines of "Have the Chiefs become the new Patriots?".  They are for all the winning, but are much more likable due to having likable players and no scandals attached to them.  People can point to the reffing at the end of the last two games all they want, right or wrong, but that is on the men and women in stripes, the the players or coaches.

13 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You’re right. Skip Bayless is where I go to get my sports takes. Definitely more knowledgeable than the multibillion dollar industry that studies this stuff as if insane amounts of $$ are on the line. 

So you pay more attention to an entity that insures they always win no matter what? That’s good to know!

also it was more than just Skip Bayless 😘

Edited by Chiefer