Are the Chiefs the bad guys? v3.0

notthatbluestuff

I think they are. Doesn’t matter how likable Reid, Mahomes or Kelce are. They’ve been dominating AFC for half a decade. They’re nowhere near the level of villainy the Brady BB Pats were, but they’re the top villains in NFL right now. Things just seem to work out for them no matter what. Both on and off the field. I know just 1 SB, but they have that aura.

10 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The Chiefs have been Super Bowl champions and had another SB appearance. I don't think of them in terms of significant milestones for the 2014 Colts. 

You're missing my point - I'm not suggesting the AFC championship games are more impressive achievements than the SB win and subsequent trip, I'm just using them to illustrate that in the AFC, the Chiefs are always there. They're that final boss standing in the way of all other AFC combatants, even more so considering that they've been the home team every time. In this conference, the Chiefs are the team to beat.

I kinda feel like the Eagles feels the AFC is so likeable and playing up themselves up being "villains" with the "Nobody Likes Us; We Don't Care" and the Philly personality in general. Philly is fun too though, but I think they are craving the villain role. Jalen Hurts is too likable for that though, but they market it that way.

6 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

You're missing my point - I'm not suggesting the AFC championship games are more impressive achievements than the SB win and subsequent trip, I'm just using them to illustrate that in the AFC, the Chiefs are always there. They're that final boss standing in the way of all other AFC combatants, even more so considering that they've been the home team every time. In this conference, the Chiefs are the team to beat.

Being always there (in the AFC championship) doesn't make them less likable. They aren't really unlikable now that Hill is gone. To my point, the fact that they have a recent super bowl is the bigger reason (in my view as a fan of an eliminated team) to want to see one of the other teams remaining beat them.

18 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I’d say the Bills are with how they changed all the rules for them this year. I know the Bengals are not big fans rn

Bengal fans (at least those with an average IQ or better) don't hate the Bills for it.  We hate Goodell and the league for it.  

As for the OP, the only Chief I don't like right now is Kelce, for bagging on Skyline chili after we beat them this year.  Until then, the Cincy area loved him as a former Bearcat.

17 hours ago, RedGold said:

I would say the Bengals are,  if anyone is.   Andy and Pat are likable,  same as Josh Allen.    Bengals have that swag and talk quite a bit.   Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it makes them easier to be the bad guys.  

Really?  Until last year we hadn't won a playoff game since 90-91.  As in, my entire adult life.  Can someone become the villain that quickly, besides division rivals?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Really?  Until last year we hadn't won a playoff game since 90-91.  As in, my entire adult life.  Can someone become the villain that quickly, besides division rivals?

Idk if they are hated.   I personally don’t. But if anyone is out of the big 3 in the AFC,   I would say they are probably the easiest to.   They aren’t afraid to talk for sure.

Edited by RedGold

The consensus seems to be no, here, but I'm going to push back on that a little bit just based on my experience as a fan here. Been a Chiefs fan for 20+ years at this point. 10+ years ago, no one really thought anything of us, and for good reason. 5 years ago, I would say we were seen rather favorably. People liked seeing Alex Smith and Andy Reid have success. We were similar to the Titans right now, a talented team with good coaching but a limited QB that could get us to the playoffs, but not through it. And everyone feels for the guy who keeps coming up short. Now, things are very different. I would agree we are not at the Patriots evil empire level. We have not seen that level of success, and even if you don't like them, I don't know anyone who would argue Reid and Mahomes are less likeable than Belichick and Brady respectively. But I would absolutely argue we are the bad guys to the average fan right now. This forum isn't necessarily the average fan, especially those who have been around for quite some time. But even here, every week you'll get at least a couple comments about how we're never called for holding (we actually lead the league in called offensive holdings over the past 3 years), a post or two about how X play would've been roughing had it been on Mahomes (we've been dead middle of the pack in roughing calls against the opposition every year since he took over), people complaining about how the announcers praise Mahomes (they do this with Allen, Brady, Burrow, etc., as well), etc. The Jacksonville thread had ample posts about how the refs favored the Chiefs, in a game with a 10 yard difference in penalty yards between the two teams. Places like Twitter obviously take it a step further, talking about how we're the golden boys and the league does whatever they can to help us. Hell, there was a Bengals writer that tweeted that at the Bills/Bengals game, before it started, fans were chanting "**** the Chiefs." A random Bronco player complained about us disrespecting the Raiders in week 18. We are not the Patriots, but we have reached the point where people are tired of us, and coming up with narratives to excuse, and complain about, the success.

• Like 1