CW21's Green Bay Packers Mock Offseason v2023.01

CWood21

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It would be nice, but if we're convinced that last year wasn't an anomaly with regards to how quickly WRs go off the board then there's probably a strong chance that if they move down they run the risk of none of the top WRs being available.  Are you willing to gamble on that?

Depends on who's available... It's a good draft for Edge/DL, which could leave Johnson sliding down to 13. But if the top 4 edge and top 2 DL are gone AND Johnson is gone, then I could live with the reach. 

Overall it's a very good mock offseason with more products than negatives. A bit rich for a Tonyan reunion in my opinion but the team is well stocked for the post Rodgers era.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I like the idea of double dipping on pass catchers if we wind up with #13 and #15.  For Love to have the best chance at success we need to get some weapons around him.  Our TE room needs a major boost.  We also could use one more starting caliber WR.  So much draft capital has been spent on defense that it seems the time is right to give the offense major shot in the arm. I could deal with a pass catcher and an OT of it came down to that. 

We have to remember although getting a WR in round 1 sounds great.  It goes against every fiber in Gutes draft being.  We'll see.

• Like 1

I could be downbad and crazy to get another top rated WR for Love to throw to, screw it, screw history, get him a bunch of weapons and see what happens. I doubt Gute does it that early in round 1, but if the talent is there I wouldn't be mad.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

7 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I could be downbad and crazy to get another top rated WR for Love to throw to, screw it, screw history, get him a bunch of weapons and see what happens. I doubt Gute does it that early in round 1, but if the talent is there I wouldn't be mad.

If they trade Rodgers they are going to want to give Love the best chance to succeed out there.  Time for an offensively heavy draft in the early rounds.

Well....the goal of the Rodgers trade is to get compensation AND start getting into a better cap situation.

To me, the Rodgers trade doesn't look good on the surface, because the payout is years into the future.  Which would be nice as we build around Love....or try to better that position.

Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:48 PM, CWood21 said:

Packers max restructure Aaron Jones
Cap Savings: $10,890,000

So where does that leave the dead cap hit for Jones in 2024 ?

For me, its pretty straight forward. If we have a genuine shot at a title, we need to keep Jones. Otherwise you have to move on. No point dumping 15m or  whatever dead money into the 2024 cap to help you win an extra game or two in a rebuilding year.  When we drafted Jones and Williams we triple dipped running back in Day 3. We have lots of Day 3 picks not to mention AJ Dillon so that's the direction I would go in at running back. 

Agree with comments about it being an offensive draft. No more talk of receiver in the 1st round though - our last five 2nd round WR have been Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, Adams, Watson. 

Edited by mikemike778

On 1/30/2023 at 1:07 AM, CWood21 said:

I mean two potentially top 64 picks vs one top 13 pick is a legitimate discussion.  And it probably depends on what you think of this year's draft.  Plus, the other team needs incentive to do the trade.  I just don't see a team handing over a top 14 pick for Rodgers.

It depends on whether a team thinks they are a QB away and whether they think Rodgers is that QB.  

If Rodgers was the difference between say Jets winning the super bowl and Jets having another 'on the edge of the playoffs' year then whatever they give up is worth it whether that be a 2nd round pick or five 1st round picks.

If a team thinks Rodgers can win them a title they will hand over a top 14 pick and probably a lot more.  So it depends on whether there is a team that thinks that. Most people who saw Rodgers this year would probably think that's not going to happen.   Easy to over-rate your own team though and we don't know how much the thumb affected him.

6 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

So where does that leave the dead cap hit for Jones in 2024 ?

For me, its pretty straight forward. If we have a genuine shot at a title, we need to keep Jones. Otherwise you have to move on. No point dumping 15m or  whatever dead money into the 2024 cap to help you win an extra game or two in a rebuilding year.  When we drafted Jones and Williams we triple dipped running back in Day 3. We have lots of Day 3 picks not to mention AJ Dillon so that's the direction I would go in at running back. 

Agree with comments about it being an offensive draft. No more talk of receiver in the 1st round though - our last five 2nd round WR have been Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, Adams, Watson. 

Assuming OTC is correct, that would put Aaron Jones with a $19.7M cap hit in 2024 with $10.5M in dead money if they were to release him.  It might be higher since it's not calculating him being released after the 2023 season.  Either way, I don't see a scenario in which Aaron Jones isn't a Packer in 2023.  And based on Gute's comments, it seems pretty clear they expect him back.

And going WR wasn't necessarily by design.  I think the Packers legitimately want to make sure Jordan Love succeeds much like they did with Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers became the starter in 2008, and they took James Jones in 2007 in the 3rd round, Jordy Nelson in 2008 in the 2nd round, and Randall Cobb in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft.

6 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

It depends on whether a team thinks they are a QB away and whether they think Rodgers is that QB.  

If Rodgers was the difference between say Jets winning the super bowl and Jets having another 'on the edge of the playoffs' year then whatever they give up is worth it whether that be a 2nd round pick or five 1st round picks.

If a team thinks Rodgers can win them a title they will hand over a top 14 pick and probably a lot more.  So it depends on whether there is a team that thinks that. Most people who saw Rodgers this year would probably think that's not going to happen.   Easy to over-rate your own team though and we don't know how much the thumb affected him.

How many teams currently picking inside the top 14 are an Aaron Rodgers away from winning a Super Bowl?  These teams are picking top 14 for a reason, and QB play isn't the only reason.  If I'm a team looking to acquire Aaron Rodgers, I'm looking to maximize that 2-3 year window with Rodgers.  If my choice is a top 14 pick or 2 future FRPs, I'd keep that top 14 pick pretty easily.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming OTC is correct, that would put Aaron Jones with a $19.7M cap hit in 2024 with $10.5M in dead money if they were to release him.

That is wrong I think - that's only the new dead cap from the restructure, but you have to add the existing 5.5M dead cap from previous prorated bonuses. In your scenario you're taking 14M from 2023 (7M of the 8M base salary, 7M from roster bonus) and converting to a signing bonus of 14M which you spread over the four remaining years, so those 10.5M you're saving are pushed as dead cap to the following years. If you cut him you have 16M in dead cap, 5.5M from previous deals and 10.5M from the restructure.