Watching QB movement from team to team...

vike daddy

On Wednesday, the 49ers said they don’t plan to pursue any high-profile veteran quarterbacks this offseason. On Thursday, one specific high-profile veteran quarterback said he won’t be joining the 49ers.

Aaron Rodgers, at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, said when asked for any news said, “I’m not going to San Fran.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/02/aaron-rodgers-says-hes-not-going-to-san-fran/

14 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Texting?  Pish!!  Some of us had to learn to write communication using hierogliphics on stone tablets!!

Sorry, I only go as far back as passing handwritten notes on folded-up pieces of paper...and using this as a telephone system:

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/tincantelephone_7099.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I was texting with a young guy today, sort of feeling him out for a potential interview and hire. he was doing well, and then let out a comment of, "you text like you're 40 or something."

yes, son, i'm 40 or something. many of your employers just might be. lol

You don't sound like you are a day over 35

• Like 1

Sorry 'bout the firestorm guys . . . didn't mean to take us off the topic so much.  The NFL, as attested by many a HOFer, has always been a young man's game . . . best suited for men under 30 years of age.   Digressing a tad, we all know life changes . . . Heck, I grew up on a farm throwing bales, pitching crap and picking rocks as a kid.  The stuff my brothers and I did for fun, well, we didn't know about "Hold my beer and watch this" back then -- surprisingly we're all over 45, alive and kicking.  Perspective-wise, back then you asked someone if you could work for them and they told you yes, or no, and how much they'd pay.  It wasn't a good system, but over the decades, we, as an American society, had seen real growth in the labor force, until COVID.  To me, stuff's been screwy ever since == a major paradigm shift country wide.  

So, back to NFL QBs . . . I don't "blame" a player for targeting a certain salary and his negotiations aren't done in a vacuum between himself and the team owner.  So many parts move during those contract discussions. Teams like San Fran that gave up a bunch of picks to get Trey Lance aren't in a huge pickle because he's on a rookie deal, and they could still salvage his potential.  They'd have to roll with Lance and Purdy as their QBs, but if Purdy beat out Lance in a competition . . . whoa.  Would the 49ers go from three QBs to one this off-season?  That would surprise me. 

AZ feels totally out of sorts QB-wise; Murray was promising, got paid and now? Can he get back to form?

The Panthers, Seattle, Commanders, Colts, Falcons and Texans each seem to need a QB and I'm guessing Carr will take one spot.  Lamar might wind up somewhere too -- not sure I'd like to see him in Seattle if they draft a bunch of defensive studs.  

Personally, Denver's QB situation makes me a bit warm and fuzzy as I rather enjoyed seeing Russell Wilson stumble this past year.  However, things changed there, oofdah.  Is there a new evil empire sprouting in the Rockies? 

Closer to our division, the Lions are set for a while, the Bears are in good shape with Fields, but really need a back-up.  And, the Packers . . . eh, not worth discussing until Rodgers is totally out of state, and even then, Love may not be all that bad.  

For our Vikings, I don't see any need to extend Cousins with guaranteed money.  I can only pray KAM hits on a QB or two . . . it would be so nice to have a true franchise guy in house for 12-15 years. 

I'll leave this with a little story . . . 25 years ago, I was working for a general contractor in Spokane, the president relayed a story one day where in 1996, he interviewed a 3rd year college student for a construction management internship.  The topic of salary came up, of course.  The intern, without a hesitation, stated I'd expect $50K for starting.  The president, not too subtly, replied with, "OK, we'll also kick in a 401K where we contribute $1000/month and your company car will be a Corvette."  The intern beamed, "You've got to be kidding me!" . . . President said, "You started it." 

Maybe I didn't say it the right way earlier . . . 😁         

In 1996, people didn't have nearly the access to the information that they have today.  That's the biggest difference.  We could suspect that businesses weren't paying us enough, but we didn't have the data to back that up.  Plus, there was no labor shortage.  It's a completely different world than what we experienced in 1996.  Heck, I think I was still fawning over Netscape Navigator in 1996 (I'm still poed at Microsoft over their monopolist push in that fight) on my Windows 95 computer while paying for the Prodigy ISP every month.

I, for one, am not immensely concerned about the QB position here.  I don't worry about fixing something that isn't broken.  Have one eye on the future certainly, but don't break your nose to spite your face (and any other idiom you want to put in its place).  In the end, I don't think they really need to worry about what they're doing with Kirk until after the draft anyway, since there are so many other options to get cap space first.    But, since this a thread about QB movement, as it was last year, I think a lot of the movement of QBs will take place once GB determines what to do with Rodgers, even the free agent QBs.  Some teams that clearly determine that they aren't in the running for Rodgers may move for someone like Jimmy G, Derek Carr or someone else, but teams like the Jets, Bucs or Raiders (well, we know Carr ain't staying there though) will likely wait on moving for one of them until they know whether Aaron is available.

• Like 2

If Rodgers were to sign with the Jets, would the franchise unretire the number 12 for him?  I can see Rodgers getting real pouty if he can't have "his" number!  I think Namath would be gracious and okay with it...but it's one of those numbers that no other member of the Jets should ever wear.  Like number 19 for the Colts, or 77 with the Bears.  

12 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

If Rodgers were to sign with the Jets, would the franchise unretire the number 12 for him?  I can see Rodgers getting real pouty if he can't have "his" number!  I think Namath would be gracious and okay with it...but it's one of those numbers that no other member of the Jets should ever wear.  Like number 19 for the Colts, or 77 with the Bears.  

He can go back to his Cal Bears number 8 where the most notable guys to wear that number for the Jets was the kicker Nick Lowery and Mark Brunell (who was a backup).  

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said: