Demeco Ryans to Texans (6 years)

Manny/Patrick

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Great, I get to leave 35-3 vs Buffalo to someone else. Have fun walking around with The Drive!

Nothing can bring me down today. This time next year? Who knows.

My professional football passion began to die in 1995 and last year post trade continued the spiral. Currently at an all time football low tbh.

I’m rooting for Demeco, always liked him as a player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Great hire. He gets CJ at 2 

they just need to get a legit OC and they’ll have a great outlook 

Yeah get those Stroud jersey’s ready Texan fans. 

Colts moving to #1 is obvious. While Young is the best prospect, the odds that dude stays healthy every year are slim to none. Also the list of successful QB’s in the modern era under 6 feet are sooooooo small. It’s basically just Russell Wilson. That’s it. And Wilson has proven he literally can’t see the middle of the field over the OL. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My professional football passion began to die in 1995 and last year post trade continued the spiral. Currently at an all time football low tbh.

I’m rooting for Demeco, always liked him as a player. 

I know, it’s documented - I feel for you.

If Ryans gets the OSU QB this season and the OSU WR next season - you’re more than welcome to join me on this side. We got the best brisket in the world and we make ‘em while sippin on Mexican beer and eating barbacoa tacos… so it’s fun like that!

All are welcome!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Time will tell who the better long term former player head coach hire will be: DeMeco Ryans with Houston or Jeff Saturday with Indianapolis 

It will clearly be Jeff Saturday simply because memes. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Wonder if his first request to the GM is to go get Jimmy Ward in FA?

What 49ers are up for FA on Defense? Needs players who can help teach on the field what he's implementing. 

Al Azeez-Shaair is a given I'm thinking. 

Ward is a good one if we don't re-sign him.

Maybe Moseley but he's coming off a torn ACL. 

Just now, Ty21 said:

@ET80 He’s probably too smart to ship 3 1’s and a couple 2’s and 3’s to move up one slot, right? This hire is devastating 

Nope, sorry. Best we can figure is 1.2 and Brandin Cooks - assuming he still wants to go.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

6 years seems like a lot for a rookie HC, no? Whatever this is a very nice get for Houston!

If you’re the number one coach on the market and going to go to a team that has now had 5 different coaches in less than 4 calendar years then you better get some security. Good on Ryan for making sure he has a chance to turn that circus around. 

• Like 1

I think most people can agree - the Texans seemed a lot more assured of their decision making on this one. This isn’t David Culley, it’s not Josh McCown, not the typical buffoonery in Houston. Part of that is Jack Easterby’s departure… but part of it is Cal McNair’s wife Hannah taking on a more pro active decision making role:

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/29/texans-coaching-search-hannah-mcnair-interviews/

I’ve long suspected she’s been getting more involved behind the scenes with the management of the organization - and if this is any indication of what she’s capable of, I’m #TeamHannah.

Just now, ET80 said:

I think most people can agree - the Texans seemed a lot more assured of their decision making on this one. This isn’t David Culley, it’s not Josh McCown, not the typical buffoonery in Houston. Part of that is Jack Easterby’s departure… but part of it is Cal McNair’s wife Hannah taking on a more pro active decision making role:

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/29/texans-coaching-search-hannah-mcnair-interviews/

I’ve long suspected she’s been getting more involved behind the scenes with the management of the organization - and if this is any indication of what she’s capable of, I’m #TeamHannah.

Ehhh I think you might just be making it too complex. 

1) The Head Coaching candidates were awful last year, regardless who’s in charge

2) Hiring anyone long term for the Texans last year would have put them in a position to look bad and seriously fail the first year

The candidates this year were all so much better

• Like 1

I like this a lot for the Texans. No better higher this cycle for that team desperately needed some young blood rejuvenation. And the fact that he's a former Texans player is the icing on the cake.

Having said all that, (and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, I legit just want to ask) how much of the 49ers success defensively have come from pouring resources into that unit versus Demeco's scheme and play calling? I ask because between former FRPs Armstead, Bosa, and Kinlaw, and all-pro Warner, that's a ton of talent. It's kind of hard to screw things up when you have the best pass rush in the NFL and the best off-ball LB at your disposal. Then you could also consider Demeco's predecessor Robert Saleh finding equal (?) success with a similar roster. What say you? @Forge @N4L and I guess @ET80.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ehhh I think you might just be making it too complex. 

1) The Head Coaching candidates were awful last year, regardless who’s in charge

2) Hiring anyone long term for the Texans last year would have put them in a position to look bad and seriously fail the first year

The candidates this year were all so much better

There are a lot more that’s leading me to this - the rebranding/new jerseys to be released in 2024, the statements coming from the organization - these are lacking a lot of typical Cal McNair sheen. 

This hire echoes it, and it was a pitch that was able to withstand a major financial commitment from Denver (Walton money). DeMeco had to agree against a lot of opportunities (he was the most coveted option on the HC market) and that isn’t as simple as saying “we have picks” to get his services.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nope, sorry. Best we can figure is 1.2 and Brandin Cooks - assuming he still wants to go.

He won’t get a contender out of us, but if he’s okay with “pretender”, that’s about our ceiling. 

Do you think hiring him could make the Texans lean more towards drafting an elite DEF prospect over qb at 2?