What does Sean do now?

AKRNA

As much as I love what our retired Bronco players like Schlereth & CJ Anderson have done for us - I'm happy Payton decided to only go with a few select assistants (wish Evero wanted to stay, but what's done is done), and not poach from the ex-Bronco player tree by default.    OL coach is definitely not one you want to go with an untested quantity (Cough *Butch Barry* Cough).    Again, I would have been ecstatic with Dan Roushar, but I have to go with Strief over Schlereth, with no past experience whatsoever.  I love the idea of grooming entry-level guys with tons of upside (like the assistant STC), but it's got to be in the right spot and the right ex-player, too.  All the O coaches will work under Payton, and other than OL and maybe TE development, there's a lot of oversight.     

Ayeni's record of success with RB's in colleges speaks well to his prospects.   I know the obvious connection ppl will have will be his Iowa State time with David Montgomery, but ppl also forget he groomed Kareem Hunt in Toledo.   And unlike Hackett / A-Rod, I'm not so sure it means nearly as much.    Ayeni has groomed a new RB almost every year at Toledo, Iowa State & NW and multiple years he had a timeshare approach that worked very well - in 2019, he had 4 different different RB's rush for 100+ yards that year.

Unlike other positions, RB college development is far closer to the NFL game - the major missing piece being ability to pass protect vs. NFL blitz / stunt schemes & greater speed/power rushers.    So hiring a college RBC who's successful there makes a ton of sense.

Given how deep the RB class is, I could easily see an early Day 3 pick at RB (along with a vet FA signing from a likewise deep pool) as long-term insurance for Javonte not getting back all the way (which is a def risk).    Ayeni's ability to develop talent is promising.   Just a piece in the puzzle, but seems like a good reason to be optimistic.  

Edited by Broncofan

Sounds like they're still looking at Patricia joining the staff in a senior assistant role. For all the reasons I didn't want him as DC or even a position coach, that kind of role makes sense for him. Keep him up in the lab watching film and offering his perspective and away from the players and day-to-day stuff. That fits and he can probably be an asset in that capacity. 

• Like 1

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

The NFLPA released "report cards" graded by the players on every team to measure working conditions/accommodations per team. Disappointing to see the Broncos ranked 20th, here's the breakdown in specific areas and league-wide ranks: 

Treatment of Families - D+ (24th)
Food Service/Nutrition - D (22nd)
Weight Room - B+ (13th)
Strength Coaches - A- (17th)
Training Room - C+ (17th)
Training Staff - B (28th)
Locker Room - D+ (22nd)
Team Travel - B+ (20th)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Sounds like they're still looking at Patricia joining the staff in a senior assistant role. For all the reasons I didn't want him as DC or even a position coach, that kind of role makes sense for him. Keep him up in the lab watching film and offering his perspective and away from the players and day-to-day stuff. That fits and he can probably be an asset in that capacity. 

I don’t want anyone associated with New England coming here. I’m sorry I know he’s a brilliant person but he’s by all accounts an absolute *** and a divider. No thanks. 

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Paul Kelly is an interesting hire. With his resume and experience you'd expect him to be a staff hire, not as a Coach.

Anyway, it's nice to see that position filled. The more FO talent we get the better. We're quite depleted in that area.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches-roster/paul-kelly

It is a staff hire. He’s assistant TO THE head coach. Not assistant head coach.

dwight schrute GIF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Special teams legend Mike Westhoff is the Assistant Head Coach. 

He sticks out. Our ST coordinator should benefit greatly. I'd expect an immediate and positive ST improvement.

• Like 2

Both Renck and Klis were downplaying the changes we make any major signings next week on separate appearances on The Fan today. Sounds like the plan is to wait until the second tier guys become available and make a few depth/rotational/role-player moves.

Both also said it seems unlikely Dre’Mont and Risner return. That’s bothersome as they’re both homegrown guys; why George didn’t lock up at least one of them in-season, especially after the Chubb trade, looks like another mistake. 

Oh well, at least the Walmarts are putting in a new Jumbotron at Mile High. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Both Renck and Klis were downplaying the changes we make any major signings next week on separate appearances on The Fan today. Sounds like the plan is to wait until the second tier guys become available and make a few depth/rotational/role-player moves.

Both also said it seems unlikely Dre’Mont and Risner return. That’s bothersome as they’re both homegrown guys; why George didn’t lock up at least one of them in-season, especially after the Chubb trade, looks like another mistake. 

Eh, I’m good with letting both walk. Ideally we would have traded Dremont at the deadline if we weren’t going to re-sign him but overall you get in trouble extending good but not great players which I think both him and Risner are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Dre’Mont they should have addressed last summer before the price went up.

But who cares about Risner, an average at best and physically outmatched guard who fights the backup QB and annoyingly leverages his hometown status every two seconds. He won’t be missed. 

• Like 1

You guys can hate on Risner all you want but he’s a rated by most of the lists I’ve seen as the top OG available this off-season. Are we going to improve the weakest spot on our team by adding a lower quality player at LG? Or are we going to draft a better day 1 started in the 3rd round (or later)? 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You guys can hate on Risner all you want but he’s a rated by most of the lists I’ve seen as the top OG available this off-season. Are we going to improve the weakest spot on our team by adding a lower quality player at LG? Or are we going to draft a better day 1 started in the 3rd round (or later)? 

He’s still living off his 2019 tape in people’s minds. Has only regressed and really gets pushed around. Not a very good player, can definitely be upgraded at a lower cost.

• Like 1