Official 2023 Combine Thread

goldfishwars

Just now, incognito_man said:

For college though?

They may not have it, I don't know.  But they could do it for college if they wanted to.  

NextGen uses little GPS tags in pads to collect their data.   They can't cost that much. 

You can buy little GPS tags at any store now fairly cheap to track your stuff or your loved ones.  

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like Tristan Wirfs has the Iowa Hawkeyes record for Hang Clean (500 lbs) but put up 24 reps on the bench at the combine.  So the test isn't even good at identifying people who are weight room strong.

General rule of thumb with Iowa guys is to expect poor bench numbers at the Combine. My buddy was a grad assistant in the Iowa Football Weight Training program. They do not utilize the movement in their programs and the guys rarely bench in their 4+ years there. Iowa S and C heavily involves deadlifts, cleans, squats,etc.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyejam said:

General rule of thumb with Iowa guys is to expect poor bench numbers at the Combine. My buddy was a grad assistant in the Iowa Football Weight Training program. They do not utilize the movement in their programs and the guys rarely bench in their 4+ years there. Iowa S and C heavily involves deadlifts, cleans, squats,etc.

Because that is better training for football.  

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They may not have it, I don't know.  But they could do it for college if they wanted to.  

NextGen uses little GPS tags in pads to collect their data.   They can't cost that much. 

You can buy little GPS tags at any store now fairly cheap to track your stuff or your loved ones.  

Sure, but I think the point was collecting objective "game speed" data for prospects. So it'd be cool if that was available.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

But if they did some Olympic style lifts it would be better though.

Benching 225 in general is a stupid event that to my knowledge has shown to have no corollary to performance at all.

Remember every laughed at Christian McCaffery because of a weak bench?

Orlando Brown too.

Last I checked those guys were still playing.  

Fred Smoot.

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Because that is better training for football.  

But they're unlikely to change the "strength" test at the combine from the bench, because the bench is the test we have historical data for.  Of course, they could totally stop doing it.

Though I think things like "Fred Smoot's one rep" tell you something.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

58 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

o-TRANSGENDER-facebook.jpg

Not necessarily.

Literally none of those are US military uniforms, although that doesn't matter. The point you're trying to make is bad.

On the topic of combine Andre Carter has disappointed, but he should still be a draftable prospect.

Edited by Trojan

The bench press calculators don't work great after you get past 12+ reps in my experience. Once you get to a certain max bench, you'll be better off using your bench time doing 225 lb for reps every workout than the guy who's working to increase his max bench. 

Edited by Tetsujin