Official 2023 Combine Thread

goldfishwars

30 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Only 4 edge listed players did the 3 cone at last years combine. One being the rookie sack leader Hutch who had an impressive time. Then the next rookie with the most sacks James Houston had an awful 3 cone time at his pro day. And he had some of the best bend/change of direction ability on film in the class. So it is always very interesting how testing numbers translate.

I am looking at it with my Steeler glasses on so I am looking for OLB candidates from the EDGE players.  But for WR it is a great test for showing quickly changing direction which will translate into getting separation.

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Only 4 edge listed players did the 3 cone at last years combine. One being the rookie sack leader Hutch who had an impressive time. Then the next rookie with the most sacks James Houston had an awful 3 cone time at his pro day. And he had some of the best bend/change of direction ability on film in the class. So it is always very interesting how testing numbers translate.

Agreed. It's all well a guy putting up a great 3 cone, but you've got to see that on tape or it means nothing. 

The combine drills should only highlight some athletic ability.  If you think player A is average athletic ability and they really stand out then you revisit their tape.  Same if you have a "superstar" and they show poorly.  Teams should never make a pick solely on combine numbers.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

The combine drills should only highlight some athletic ability.  If you think player A is average athletic ability and they really stand out then you revisit their tape.  Same if you have a "superstar" and they show poorly.  Teams should never make a pick solely on combine numbers.

I think that, if a guy tests insanely well, you have to go back to his tape and look to see what he was asked to do. A great combine can result in a player's grade moving up, even if you have a very solid feel on the quality of their tape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I just want to know who the most jacked athlete is this year...:D

Jalen Carter is probably the most jacked for his size. Doesn’t carry a lot of fat on his frame for being 300+. 

Zach Kuntz is jakked. Rakim Jarrett is pretty muscle-bound. Felix Anudike-Uzomah & Jaxson Kirkland are gajakked too. Not many RBs with the Michael Pittman/Robert Turbin build this year. 

31 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Dawand Jones will test well for a 370+lb man.  On tape he moves well for that size.

I think his times will be bleh, but he will look great in the drills. He isn't necessarily fast, but he has big strides, plays with surprisingly good pad level, and doesn't typically lunge like some of the big fattys do. I doubt his 40 time or 3-cone is very good, but I'm not really worried about that. He will impress in all of the movement drills that are relevant to football that they do at the combine.

That's my guess.

Rakim Jarrett is going to turn some heads at the combine. He's gonna test like a freak.

List Of Combine Freaks:

QB:
1. Jaren Hall
2. Max Duggan
3. Malik Cunningham

RB:
1. Israel Abanikanda
2.  Devon Achane
3. Sean Tucker

FB:
1. Hunter Luepke

WR:
1. Jalin Hyatt
2. Rakim Jarrett
3. Tyler Scott

TE:
1. Zach Kuntz
2. Luke Musgrave
3. Will Mallory

OT:
1. Braxton Jones
2. Jaelyn Duncan
3. Blake Freeland

IOL:
1. Luke Wypler
2. Joe Tippmann
3. Jaxson Kirkland

EDGE:
1. Zach Harrison
2. BJ Ojulari
3. Lukas Van Ness

DT:
1. Mazi Smith
2. Zaach Pickens
3. Gervon Dexter

LB: 
1. Demarvion Overshown
2. Drew Sanders
3. Daiyan Henley

CB:
1. Christian Gonzales
2. Kelee Ringo
3. Deonte Banks

S:
1. Jammie Robinson
2. Jordan Battle
3. Brandon Joseph

Freakiest Of Freaks:

1. Mazi Smith
2. Demarvion Overshown
3. Israel Abanikanda

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Jalen Carter is probably the most jacked for his size. Doesn’t carry a lot of fat on his frame for being 300+. 

Zach Kuntz is jakked. Rakim Jarrett is pretty muscle-bound. Felix Anudike-Uzomah & Jaxson Kirkland are gajakked too. Not many RBs with the Michael Pittman/Robert Turbin build this year. 

WR Elijah Higgins from Stanford is built like a brick ****house.

List Of Combine Losers:

QB:
**None

RB:
1. Jahmyr Gibbs (I don't think he's gonna run a good 40)
2. Tank Bigsby
3. Chase Brown

WR:
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
2. Cedric Tillman
3. Xavier Hutchinson

TE:
1. Michael Mayer (Obviously TE1 for me, but he's gonna time bleh.)

OT:
1. Darnell Wright
2. Anton Harrison

IOL:
**None

EDGE:
1. Andre Carter
2. Nolan Smith
3. Tuli Tuipulotu

DT:
1. Jaquelin Roy

LB: 
**None

CB:
1. Clark Phillips
2. Cam Smith
3. Joey Porter Jr.

S:
1. Brian Branch
2. Christopher Smith

Biggest Overall "Fallers"

1. Andre Carter
2. Jahmyr Gibbs
3. Clark Phillips

40 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

List Of Combine Freaks:

QB:
1. Jaren Hall
2. Max Duggan
3. Malik Cunningham

RB:
1. Israel Abanikanda
2.  Devon Achane
3. Sean Tucker

Freakiest Of Freaks:

1. Mazi Smith
2. Demarvion Overshown
3. Israel Abanikanda

Surprised Anthony Richardson isn't listed on either. I'd venture to say he's the most freakish athlete at QB this year and probably top 3 in the draft as well. Haven't watched much of Abanikanda film yet, but it's wild to think that Abanikanda probably has one of the faster 100m dash times in this draft class, yet Achane is over a half second faster than him in a 100m dash. Can't wait to see what Achane runs this week.

49 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

List Of Combine Losers:

EDGE:
2. Nolan Smith

Not the first time I've seen this sentiment, but I really struggle to understand this thinking. Nolan Smith was the #1 recruit in his class (#20 all time per 247) in large part due to his freakish testing. He ran a 4.55 with a 42" vertical and a 4.08 shuttle at 225 pounds 5 years ago. What's changed since then that makes you think he won't test well now?

38 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Surprised Anthony Richardson isn't listed on either. I'd venture to say he's the most freakish athlete at QB this year and probably top 3 in the draft as well. Haven't watched much of Abanikanda film yet, but it's wild to think that Abanikanda probably has one of the faster 100m dash times in this draft class, yet Achane is over a half second faster than him in a 100m dash. Can't wait to see what Achane runs this week.

Oops. I missed Richardson somehow.

Abanikanda is supremely fast and significantly bigger than Achane. Achane may time well, but he's also pint-sized. Abanikanda is rocked up and looks to be around the 6'0 215-220 range. I think that's what will make his 40 time more impressive. I think Abanikanda hits a 4.3.