2018 NBA Draft Prospects

devils1854

20 hours ago, utley4568 said:

Mikal and it's no longer close for me.

Miles has more upside IMO, but Mikal is the better player now.  He also may be the better player long term if Miles doesn't get a mean streak and take games over like he can.  He has the ability to get to the rim and dunk on people, he just chooses to sit outside and shoot threes.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Miles has more upside IMO, but Mikal is the better player now.  He also may be the better player long term if Miles doesn't get a mean streak and take games over like he can.  He has the ability to get to the rim and dunk on people, he just chooses to sit outside and shoot threes.

I'd say Mikal is better now and has more upside. 

And that's what Miles should be doing. he needs to be able to hit from deep if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

3 hours ago, utley4568 said:

I'd say Mikal is better now and has more upside. 

And that's what Miles should be doing. he needs to be able to hit from deep if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

Miles needs to be able to get to the rim and show off his athleticism if he wants to make it in the NBA.  He is in the Rudy Gay mold. He will need to be able to keep people honest, but also take people off the dribble.  I will admit I have not watched as much of Mikal, but he has a better shot, and is more aggressive.  That's about it.  Miles is a better defender, better rebounder and is more athletic.  His shot continues to improve but it will not be what makes him succeed in the NBA.  If his mindset changes to be aggressive, I think he is the much better player in the future.

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Miles needs to be able to get to the rim and show off his athleticism if he wants to make it in the NBA.  He is in the Rudy Gay mold. He will need to be able to keep people honest, but also take people off the dribble.  I will admit I have not watched as much of Mikal, but he has a better shot, and is more aggressive.  That's about it.  Miles is a better defender, better rebounder and is more athletic.  His shot continues to improve but it will not be what makes him succeed in the NBA.  If his mindset changes to be aggressive, I think he is the much better player in the future.

That's not true. His best chance is as a 3-and-D player. His athleticism will allow him to cover four positions in the league and if he gets a shot he's an ideal 3/4. His role in the NBA isn't as a go-to scorer. He really just needs to be able to attack a closeout, which he can.

Mikal is definitely not more aggressive. It's one of the biggest knocks on him. He is most definitely a better defender than Miles, although Miles has him with the athleticism. Mikal is also a much better and more willing passer.

6 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

That's not true. His best chance is as a 3-and-D player. His athleticism will allow him to cover four positions in the league and if he gets a shot he's an ideal 3/4. His role in the NBA isn't as a go-to scorer. He really just needs to be able to attack a closeout, which he can.

Mikal is definitely not more aggressive. It's one of the biggest knocks on him. He is most definitely a better defender than Miles, although Miles has him with the athleticism. Mikal is also a much better and more willing passer.

Miles has double the assists that Mikal has, so not sure how you get that he is a more willing or better passer.  Neither are great but I wouldnt be bragging about 1.5 assists a game.  That has been Miles knock all year that he is too passive and tries to get the team involved instead of taking over. As for D, Miles has a better Defensive rating, Mikal a better D+/-.  They are similar stat wise but from what I have seen on tape, Miles is the better defender primarily due to the athleticism.

Miles role in the NBA will not be a go to scorer, but it also will not be a three point shooter.  His role will be as a big 3/small 4 and he will have to be able to take advantage of either one.  If he is playing the 4, pull the defender away from the basket and get by him.  If he is playing the 3 he will need to get down low and bang on them.  His last resort should be shooting the three and only if wide open.  It will not be his money maker. 

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Miles has double the assists that Mikal has, so not sure how you get that he is a more willing or better passer.  Neither are great but I wouldnt be bragging about 1.5 assists a game.  That has been Miles knock all year that he is too passive and tries to get the team involved instead of taking over. As for D, Miles has a better Defensive rating, Mikal a better D+/-.  They are similar stat wise but from what I have seen on tape, Miles is the better defender primarily due to the athleticism.

Miles role in the NBA will not be a go to scorer, but it also will not be a three point shooter.  His role will be as a big 3/small 4 and he will have to be able to take advantage of either one.  If he is playing the 4, pull the defender away from the basket and get by him.  If he is playing the 3 he will need to get down low and bang on them.  His last resort should be shooting the three and only if wide open.  It will not be his money maker. 

Mikal is a much smarter defender than Miles, has much quicker hands, and is faster laterally. And assists aren't that good of a passing measure, especially at the college level. Mikal sees the floor at an above average level and is able to make the right read more often than not.

And there aren't many successful tweeners who play like that anymore. He should be trying to play like Tobias Harris, not Rudy Gay.

Mikal's style is more conducive to winning basketball. He plays within himself and the system. Not sure he can ever be a lead scorer but it's hard to get that type of read off of someone in Nova's system. 

Miles is what he is at this point. Uber talented but someone without a position. I still like his upside in the NBA though. I think he CAN be a lead scorer but inefficiency will be a problem early.

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

If you miss the playoffs, I would lock in a Shai Gilgeous-Alexander pick for DEN.

I've seen him mocked to Denver a lot and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Would love to get a 3rd UK guy on the roster, and I am a big fan of Shai as a prospect, but I'm not sure about the fit. Plus whether or not this FO is willing, or should be willing, to gamble on another PG whose success hinges on if he can develop his jumper. He's a PERFECT fit defensively alongside Murray, has potential to be really good defender with his length and could cover the bigger 2 guards Murray might struggle with. However, he's best suited as a true floor general offensively and there's no need for that with Jokic around. That might be splitting hairs though, at 13-16 where Denver will be picking, getting a guy like Shai might be the no brainer. 

Miles needs to be in the right type of system to really hit his ceiling, where as Mikal projects to fit pretty much anywhere. That, and Mikal is a sick shooter, is really what separates the 2, imo. I am curious to see how he tests althetically though. That's about the only real question I have about him, atm. 

19 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I've seen him mocked to Denver a lot and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Would love to get a 3rd UK guy on the roster, and I am a big fan of Shai as a prospect, but I'm not sure about the fit. Plus whether or not this FO is willing, or should be willing, to gamble on another PG whose success hinges on if he can develop his jumper. He's a PERFECT fit defensively alongside Murray, has potential to be really good defender with his length and could cover the bigger 2 guards Murray might struggle with. However, he's best suited as a true floor general offensively and there's no need for that with Jokic around. That might be splitting hairs though, at 13-16 where Denver will be picking, getting a guy like Shai might be the no brainer. 

Nuggets major needs are defensive wings and a real backup PG imo. So don't hate that idea. 

Do you all think Wagner hasnplayed himself into a lottery pick? Or is he still someone who is projected to go in the late teens or even fall till the second round

I would think with as well as he played in the NCAA tournament that he’s at worst going to be drafted somewhere in the teens. 

I want my Wizards to draft him. I think he’s just what we need, another stretch 4/5 to go along with Morris and Mike Scott. I think Wagner needs to put some weight on and get stronger but year one he can definitely help any team particularly on offense.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Do you all think Wagner hasnplayed himself into a lottery pick? Or is he still someone who is projected to go in the late teens or even fall till the second round

I would think with as well as he played in the NCAA tournament that he’s at worst going to be drafted somewhere in the teens. 

I want my Wizards to draft him. I think he’s just what we need, another stretch 4/5 to go along with Morris and Mike Scott. I think Wagner needs to put some weight on and get stronger but year one he can definitely help any team particularly on offense.

question, has Wagner even declared? At his time, offensively, I think he has the type of inside outside game the NBA wants, but I don't now if he is athletic enough defensively to get a solid first rd look. But he could sneak in rd one I believe.

As a Boston fan picking late in rd 1, I would definitely be interested in him,

41 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

question, has Wagner even declared? At his time, offensively, I think he has the type of inside outside game the NBA wants, but I don't now if he is athletic enough defensively to get a solid first rd look. But he could sneak in rd one I believe.

As a Boston fan picking late in rd 1, I would definitely be interested in him,

I don’t think he has but I don’t think a lot of players have decalred for the draft yet.

Archived