2023 NFL offseason

Forge

Its sad how messed up our QB situation has become.

-Not drafting Mahomes in 2017....although we could have drafted Watson instead (ugh)

-Trading for Jimmy G in 2017 which took us out of the 2018 QB sweepstakes...Jimmy brought us stability, but maybe we hit with Allen. Or, maybe we bust with Darnold or Rosen

-Not signing Brady in March 2020 when he wanted to be with us

-Trading up for Lance in 2021 is so far looking like a mistake. If we had gotten Rodgers in April 2021, we're likely back to back SB champs. Although this one was out of our hands - no way the Packers were trading him to us

Hindsight is 20/20 but so many missed opportunities....

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Its sad how messed up our QB situation has become.

-Not drafting Mahomes in 2017....although we could have drafted Watson instead (ugh)

-Trading for Jimmy G in 2017 which took us out of the 2018 QB sweepstakes...Jimmy brought us stability, but maybe we hit with Allen. Or, maybe we bust with Darnold or Rosen

-Not signing Brady in March 2020 when he wanted to be with us

-Trading up for Lance in 2021 is so far looking like a mistake. If we had gotten Rodgers in April 2021, we're likely back to back SB champs. Although this one was out of our hands - no way the Packers were trading him to us

Hindsight is 20/20 but so many missed opportunities....

I don't believe that there was ever a realistic shot that this was going to happen. Just don't believe that the Packers ever would have traded him here. 

• Like 2

I mean, shanny and lynch have made us relevant again and I love watching games again, I think…

but there impatience has often been their biggest enemy. The trade for Jimmy G felt awesome at the time, but I think we all expected them to wait it out another year for cousins or having just a more complete roster for a rookie QB. They instead traded a second and paid a ton of money for an above average QB…it wasn’t a bad move, at all. But the opportunity cost always feels so painful with this team.

I think the most tragic thing with Lance is I still contend it’s A+ process.  You have a complete roster that’s exepsive? Go all in on the high upside QB on the cheap. Especially when you have elite offensive talent and scheme. But then literally worst case scenario strikes To the point this is worse than an outright bust. It just feels like we’ll never know. 

• Like 3

If there is a team to look out for with regards to a Trey Lance trade, it's probably the Colts. They had the blue jersey thing of lance in their draft evaluation and it's still same GM (basically their version of the gold helmet). They are picking #4, and may end up at best being able to take the 4th best QB in the draft, so ultimately it may be more enticing for them to take the best non QB in the draft and maybe grab Lance for cheaper (similar to what we did when we traded for Jimmy). 

I don't think the 49ers would do it, just because i think that this puts the team in a weird spot throughout the off season with regards to the QB position, but something worth monitoring and if the niners could make a deal that somehow net them pick 35, I think that they would definitely be paying attention. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

If there is a team to look out for with regards to a Trey Lance trade, it's probably the Colts. They had the blue jersey thing of lance in their draft evaluation and it's still same GM (basically their version of the gold helmet). They are picking #4, and may end up at best being able to take the 4th best QB in the draft, so ultimately it may be more enticing for them to take the best non QB in the draft and maybe grab Lance for cheaper (similar to what we did when we traded for Jimmy). 

I don't think the 49ers would do it, just because i think that this puts the team in a weird spot throughout the off season with regards to the QB position, but something worth monitoring and if the niners could make a deal that somehow net them pick 35, I think that they would definitely be paying attention. 

Given the injuries at QB, I would be shocked if they traded lance. Would have to be for a first or second+ to make them risk a shallow QB room again.  I think you nailed it, off-season program+ past experience with QBs means lance likely isn’t going anywhere unless it’s a steal. Don’t blame them either for it 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would be a shame if they moved him on without giving him a real opportunity to claim the #1 spot.

Just let him run the system like Purdy did and do away with trying to force the running plays with him.

See what you got before you move on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DTMW78 said:

Would be a shame if they moved him on without giving him a real opportunity to claim the #1 spot.

Just let him run the system like Purdy did and do away with trying to force the running plays with him.

See what you got before you move on.

Purdy's injury really will dictate whether Lance gets a real shot to steal the job back. But make no mistake, he does have to steal it back. 

Everything on Lance is hypothetical and they have proof of concept with purdy led championship level team from last year. They simply aren't going to remove the latter for the former. I get it. LIS, the toughest part is that he actually gets that opportunity elsewhere, turns out to be really good  and the niners look like even bigger fools than they are as a team who used 3 first round picks on a guy they gave half a dozen or fewer starts to. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

All that just to draft Hooker at 35

• Like 3