The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They definitely need to use Thompson more. I’ve been impressed with him. If Oviedo has command on his pitches, then he’s fine. The other 3 can GTFO. I still think we need a starter. I’ve seen mention of MadBum. Pushes Pallante to the bullpen. Might be getting Hicks back shortly. We’ll see what we get out of Flaherty and Matz the rest of the year but I think a starter would really help this team out a lot. Not sure the price on MadBum though.

Not sure anyone is taking on that contract with his age and injury history. Arizona would have to eat almost the entire thing IMO. 

Mo really gave this bum VerHagen a multi-year deal. There’s a reason he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2019. He’s a damn bum. As soon as he was brought in the the 8th and then ****gren to follow, you knew the game was over. Team just isn’t good enough to win series against good teams. 

Edited by ttitansfan4life

17 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Mo really gave this bum VerHagen a multi-year deal. There’s a reason he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2019. He’s a damn bum. As soon as he was brought in the the 8th and then ****gren to follow, you knew the game was over. Team just isn’t good enough to win series against good teams. 

It must be exhausting to be as miserable as you are with this team. Youre seriously complaining about a 2 year $5.5m deal on a reliever? (not even factoring in the potential value as a starter) After all the awful Reliever contracts we've seen over the years.

Looking at other relievers last year, there were almost 30 others who got more AAV than VerHagen ($2.75m) and of the 15 multi year deals I can find off the cuff from 2022, he is definitely the lowest deal signed. Greg Holland, had he made the roster out of ST was going to get $2.1m, thats just what veteran relievers cost. If you drop below that level, you get Wittgren.

And Im sure you will move the goalposts on what a "Good Team" is, but in reality, they are 17-20 against teams with winning records. And that includes being 2-5 against the Mets (you know the best team in the National League) so they are .500 against the rest of them.

We are 6-6 against the Brewers, because we are equal teams. We are above .500 against NL teams with winning records, because other than the Mets and Dodgers, we are pretty equal with everyone else.

If we get anything out of Jack (or what a replacement for him should be) or the OF can stay healthy, or get ANYTHING out of the Catcher position while figuring out the DH situation, we can leap clear of SF/MIL/ATL/SD but even with all of those anchors dragging us down we are still the 4th/5th best team in the NL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We are 6-6 against the Brewers, because we are equal teams. We are above .500 against NL teams with winning records, because other than the Mets and Dodgers, we are pretty equal with everyone else.

And just to be clear, the Brewers are 15-19 against teams with winning records. They are 1-2 vs the Mets, and have yet to play anyone in the AL (with a winning record) or the Dodgers

• Like 1

Malcom Nunez is having a heck of a June…

19 games: .382 BA, .456 OBP, 2 doubles, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 12.8 BB%, 19.2 K% 

On the season…

59 games: .256 BA, .379 OBP, 9 doubles, 9 HR, 39 RBI, 15.7 BB%, 19.1 K%, 107 wRC+ 

Still only 21 years old and doesn’t turn 22 until after the season. He’s definitely showing more power this year in Springfield.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Malcom Nunez is having a heck of a June…

19 games: .382 BA, .456 OBP, 2 doubles, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 12.8 BB%, 19.2 K% 

On the season…

59 games: .256 BA, .379 OBP, 9 doubles, 9 HR, 39 RBI, 15.7 BB%, 19.1 K%, 107 wRC+ 

Still only 21 years old and doesn’t turn 22 until after the season. He’s definitely showing more power this year in Springfield.

I forgot about Nunez. He could turn into a good piece in a trade package. 

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I forgot about Nunez. He could turn into a good piece in a trade package. 

I've soured on him.  Not sure he's a top 10 prospect before the draft.  He almost assuredly won't be a top 10 prospect after.  He's trade fodder at best.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I've soured on him.  Not sure he's a top 10 prospect before the draft.  He almost assuredly won't be a top 10 prospect after.  He's trade fodder at best.

No doubt. But it would be best if he keeps hitting. He’s at an age appropriate level now. If he socks some dingers this year he could be a sweetener in a deal. Definitely not someone to build a package around. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

With Jack exiting early, it’s now painfully clear we need to grab a starter via trade. I hope it’s a TOR guy. We’ve got the prospects to do it. 

Welp glad that experiment is over. We needed a starter before that and now it’s definitely a major need.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?