Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I’m not at all surprised that the Giants are moving on from aging players and coaches, but this was done classlessly. At least give the guy the courtesy of moving on from him in the off-season.

They really need to audition Geno Smith for five games just double-check that he’s garbage?

I think it's more Webb as a potential starter and Smith as the back up paired with him (people are getting too caught up on Smith starting, he's just starting because they are evaluating both guys). They want to see if they have to use their first draft pick for a QB, or if they only need to wait later in the draft for someone who can be a back up they can develop, or maybe they will be comfortable with Webb as the starter and Geno as the back up. 

And at this point the season is over, there is no value to keeping Eli out there but the streak, which they offered to him and he graciously gave up. I get the idea of a courtesy, but it's business and I think the writing was on the wall for awhile with this one. There were already reports of Mara ordering them to start evaluating college QB's, they are considering this season lost and waiting for next year

4 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Ben needs to be fired off into the sun for this crap

I think it's all Mara. No way this decision was made with complete autonomy by a one year coach who is a considered a massive disappointment who is definitely on the hot seat and at best getting one more chance if he even lasts this long. They are probably just cleaning house.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I think it's all Mara. No way this decision was made with complete autonomy by a one year coach who is a considered a massive disappointment who is definitely on the hot seat and at best getting one more chance if he even lasts this long. They are probably just cleaning house.

Mara is hands off no? Either way, heads need to roll. You don't do that to a franchise legend

If I had made an official preseason prediction.... 

Long time New York QB Eli Manning Geno Smith will be leading the 9-2 2-9 New York Giants into their home stretch this season. He'll be  throwing to a dynamic widout trio made up of Odell Beckham Jr, Brandon Marshall and Sterling Shepard  Travis Rudolph, Roger Lewis and Tavarres King. 

Just as predicted. 

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Mara is hands off no? Either way, heads need to roll. You don't do that to a franchise legend

You think a 2nd year head coach who inexplicably led a team alot of people were picking to not only win the NFC East, but as a potential Super Bowl contender, to being a bottom 3 team in the league if that was given sole autonomy to end the season prematurely and bench a 2 time Super Bowl champion QB in a vacuum? No way. There were already reports that Mara was telling the front office to evaluate QB's. Ben's 50/50 to get fired. He ain't making any major decisions in regards to casting out Super Bowl QB's. 

As far as him being a franchise legend, his brother Peyton says hi. Joe Montana says hi. Brett Favre says hi. The sunset ride is rarer than the cold hard "see ya". 

I understand the reasoning to evaluate QBs and tank for a pick, but Smith? Why? What is there to evaluate that you missed in his time with the Jets? 

Give it to Webb. 

If Geno throws 3 picks and Webb is just as bad, I'd refuse to play if I'm Eli.

Let Ben go out to a chorus of jeers.

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I understand the reasoning to evaluate QBs and tank for a pick, but Smith? Why? What is there to evaluate that you missed in his time with the Jets? 

Give it to Webb. 

If Geno throws 3 picks and Webb is just as bad, I'd refuse to play if I'm Eli.

Let Ben go out to a chorus of jeers.

WTF Webb's going to play. They already said Webb's playing. Geno's just the starter because someone has to be the designated starter. It was going to be Eli. He bowed out, so Geno's starting then Webb's coming in. 

27 minutes ago, lancerman said:

WTF Webb's going to play. They already said Webb's playing. Geno's just the starter because someone has to be the designated starter. It was going to be Eli. He bowed out, so Geno's starting then Webb's coming in. 

That's great then. I missed that.

Should just start Webb though. 

Haven't really watched the Giants this year, but it seems like Ben McAdoo should be relieved of duties asap.   

After Eli has been class representing the franchise and winning two super bowls, this type of thing should not happen.  (at least not like this)

34 minutes ago, lancerman said:

What is the point of starting Geno?

I don't like this move at all.

But, I don't believe it's to evaluate Geno Smith. It must be to give Webb reps. But, they didn't want Webb to be in public position that Geno is in right now. Whichever QB broke Eli's streak would be hated in NYC, and you can't do that to a rookie you may plan to keep for a while. Rough for Geno actually. 

Even after the grievances he’s given us, Eli’s getting a raw deal here. For a guy that’s often lived in his older brother’s shadow, Eli has always been a classy, good QB. Sucks that a sinking coach and GM has to take Eli down with them. 

It doesn’t even make sense from the Webb perspective IMO. What is he going to show? He’s been the #3 QB - meaning he’s probably taken close to zero reps in practice - and is being dropped onto one of the most talentless offenses in the league that’s also being run by an oblivious playcaller. Really the only way this works out is if Webb lights it up, which I find incredibly unlikely. In the event he sucks, the Giants could’ve just sucked with Eli.

Eli may have played his last game as a Giant, and if that’s the case, it’s a damn shame it has to be like this IMO.

Archived