Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

2 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

As Mike Florio speculated about, I wouldn't be surprised if this decision came from ownership. Mara can pass this off as Reese and McAdoo's decision and they'll take the backlash and heat for it. 

I believe he wants a clean slate and none of them (Eli, McAdoo, and Reese) will be in NY next year.

Nothing happens without Mara's go ahead. We can all agree that McAdoo is probably gone next year, and if he isn't, he's certainly sitting on a hot seat right above a pit straight to hell, so he likely doesn't have the autonomy to do this. I think Mara see's this as an embarrassment and wants a reboot. They dropped Coughlin and personally I think they probably regret that they didn't clean the entire house when that happened.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Thats a terrible comparison. Warner was a Giant for 10 games at that point. Not 14 years.

Warner had MVP's and a Super Bowl. Also Warner wasn't playing horribly on the Giants. And Eli isn't playing a lot better than Warner was at the time. The only difference is longevity. 

I don't believe that this organisation, would end Eli's tenure In this way. It's not how they operate. There's just no easy way to this. I mean you could start him like they proposed and then pull him later in games. But that's just being dishonest. I won't believe it's the end until I see it.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Warner had MVP's and a Super Bowl. Also Warner wasn't playing horribly on the Giants. And Eli isn't playing a lot better than Warner was at the time. The only difference is longevity. 

And longevity makes a huge difference. One was your franchise. The other was a guy who got benched or injured the previous year. Everyone knew Eli would come in eventually. He was the #1 pick.

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

And longevity makes a huge difference.

Does it? Historically the Giants haven't been that organization. They are in a volatile market. There have been murmurs of getting rid of Eli before. Maybe him even lasting this long was because of the longevity. There's a lot of factors at play.

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, I meant that we can't win another game so that we stay at number 2 and can trade out lol.  Unfortunately, the Giants hold the tie breaker, so if we win, we drop down.

Yeah, Jimmy G is locked in for next season. But now with this move, the writing is on the wall that the Giants are leaning toward QB unless one of these guys balls out, so the #2 pick should have trade power for teams in need. 

Just remember, though other teams may be prettier and make more money and more outgoing, no one else can offer you what the Bills have in this years draft ;)

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Does it? Historically the Giants haven't been that organization. They are in a volatile market. There have been murmurs of getting rid of Eli before. Maybe him even lasting this long was because of the longevity. There's a lot of factors at play.

No he lasted this long because he was our franchise QB who played at a very good level for a number of years. There was never really any real talk or substantiated talk to get rid of Eli, well at least since 2007. 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

No he lasted this long because he was our franchise QB who played at a very good level for a number of years. There was never really any real talk or substantiated talk to get rid of Eli, well at least since 2007. 

No but there were serious questions about how long Eli was viable for most of his career and how long he could ride his two Super Bowls out. I think after the second one it became hard to part with him, but he never shook the moniker of being the guy who was living off two post season runs.

3 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

McAdoo might be more of a clown than Pagano.

He certainly painted himself in a corner with this one, and one he's likely not getting out of in any way other than getting fired.  But I'd put the bigger blame on Reece for not putting good depth at WR in the event Odell went down, giving Eli a junk OL to throw behind, not getting any RBs on the team, and a host of problems he never bothered to fix.

Archived