Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

There are only a couple explanations for this. One, they don't want Eli to get hurt and are protecting him for next season. Two, Davis Webb isn't ready and so they don't want to put in a situation  where he can't succeed. Three we're just tanking while not destroying the young QB we have. If none of those are the reasons then yeah, just lol. 

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

There are only a couple explanations for this. One, they don't want Eli to get hurt and are protecting him for next season. Two, Davis Webb isn't ready and so they don't want to put in a situation  where he can't succeed. Three we're just tanking while not destroying the young QB we have. If none of those are the reasons then yeah, just lol. 

Option 4: The seasons over and there is nothing to play for. They want to spend the remaining games evaluating their other QB's (they already have a sample size on Eli) so that they can decide how to proceed in the offseason for the QB position. Whether that means trusting Webb and Smith backing him up, drafting high, or looking to make sometype of trade.

Eli's done as a Giant though. You don't end a streak like this by benching him for Geno Smith and think he's the answer next year. If Eli doesn't hangem up after this he's probably on his last gasps. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

If I'm Archie I'm beyond pissed. After what they did to get Eli there and ridicule they took to have him win two Super Bowls and then give him this kind of exit.

Eli decided to step down himself rather than start, get beaten to hell, then sit in the 3rd or 4th after the games out of reach because the team is garbage.

No reason to sacrifice your body for a franchise that's ready to move on, both sides handled this pretty well tbqh.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Eli's done as a Giant though.

The more I think about it, I think he might be done for good. I mean, what else does he have to play for? Not like the narrative on him is going to change much after this long...

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Eli decided to step down himself rather than start, get beaten to hell, then sit in the 3rd or 4th after the games out of reach because the team is garbage.

No reason to sacrifice your body for a franchise that's ready to move on, both sides handled this pretty well tbqh.

That's not exactly what happened. McAdoo said he wanted to evaluate Webb and Smith and that they would be getting significant snaps this game. That was going to happen whether it was a close game or even if they were winning. They value evaluating and making off season decisions now. McAdoo was basically saying "hey I know you got this streak, so you can still be the starter, but we are taking a look at these guys". 

To Eli obviously this meant "we are looking into how we are replacing you, we don't care how you play in this game because you will be getting pulled, but we'll allow you to keep your streak going and get some play time". If your Eli, you aren't playing to win, so why not just give the coaches what they want and let them get a real evaluation of their QB's while he sits out if the goal isn't to win.

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Option 4: The seasons over and there is nothing to play for. They want to spend the remaining games evaluating their other QB's (they already have a sample size on Eli) so that they can decide how to proceed in the offseason for the QB position. Whether that means trusting Webb and Smith backing him up, drafting high, or looking to make sometype of trade.

Eli's done as a Giant though. You don't end a streak like this by benching him for Geno Smith and think he's the answer next year. If Eli doesn't hangem up after this he's probably on his last gasps. 

I thought those points I made already implied that they're evaluating what they have.

Could Eli be done in NY? Well with this, it's looks a real possibility. But I wouldn't be so sure. He's can go elsewhere and still succeed provided he is protected well enough,

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The more I think about it, I think he might be done for good. I mean, what else does he have to play for? Not like the narrative on him is going to change much after this long...

For HOF purposes he could maybe try to pile on some stats. He's like a quarter of a season away from passing Elway in yards and Tarkenton in TD's (probably won't catch Marino whose the next guy in both categories), but aside from that no I don't see any real reason to play and I don't think going up to number 6 in both those categories helps him. Especially if he could have bad years and ruin some of efficiency numbers.

For him the only thing to play for is a Super Bowl. The question is do teams think he still has enough in him to bring them there. He's been very streaky even in the 07-11 period where he got two, now it's more bad than good. If he wins a third Super Bowl he would erase any questions about being in the HOF (he's about as borderline as you can get right now in the modern era).

I really don't like this move even if the Giants season has gone south and playoffs have been long gone.  And I get it that Eli's play has been well below the level it once was, but you could point to other QBs like Brett Favre and Kurt Warner who were once thought to be done as well, and they made a return at their late ages in 2007 (Favre) and 2008 (Warner).  To me, you just never know if Eli could muster up one more good year kinda like what we're seeing from Drew Brees right now and put together one more run deep into the playoffs.  I think by doing this, they've really set the bridge on fire and put themselves in a position where it's going to be either Eli or McAdoo staying once this year is up.  And my guess is that McAdoo and Reece are both going to be shown the door when its done.

Also, I'd say Geno Smith has already shown what he can do and shouldn't be behind center unless there's no other options.  If you're going to see what you have in your young guy, you gotta try Davis Webb instead.

Congratulations, New York Giants, you just threw away the only thing you had going for you. 

You don't have a quarterback (including Eli and his dead arm). 

You don't have a run game.

Your offensive line is awful.

Your defense is getting worse by the week from a personnel perspective thanks to injury.

You only have one receiving threat going for you right now.

You can't get the first overall pick without trading up. so tanking provides limited usefulness.  Additionally, you didn't need to bench Eli to tank.  Your 2-9 record is a testament to that.

Your 2018 cap room is average at best. 

You had the Eli's active game streak.  That was literally the only thing you had going for you.  Now you have nothing.

N-o-t-h-i-n-g. 

As Mike Florio speculated about, I wouldn't be surprised if this decision came from ownership. Mara can pass this off as Reese and McAdoo's decision and they'll take the backlash and heat for it. 

I believe he wants a clean slate and none of them (Eli, McAdoo, and Reese) will be in NY next year.

5 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I really don't like this move even if the Giants season has gone south and playoffs have been long gone.  And I get it that Eli's play has been well below the level it once was, but you could point to other QBs like Brett Favre and Kurt Warner who were once thought to be done as well, and they made a return at their late ages in 2007 (Favre) and 2008 (Warner).  To me, you just never know if Eli could muster up one more good year kinda like what we're seeing from Drew Brees right now and put together one more run deep into the playoffs.  I think by doing this, they've really set the bridge on fire and put themselves in a position where it's going to be either Eli or McAdoo staying once this year is up.  And my guess is that McAdoo and Reece are both going to be shown the door when its done.

Also, I'd say Geno Smith has already shown what he can do and shouldn't be behind center unless there's no other options.  If you're going to see what you have in your young guy, you gotta try Davis Webb instead.

Keep in mind this is the organization that decided to move on from two time MVP, 1 time Super Bowl champion and future resurgence in the later part of his career Kurt Warner so they could try out fresh faced Eli Manning. So this isn't without precedent. Eli's been a weird paradox for the Giants for a while. He's extremely streaky but he has contributed to two Super Bowl efforts (one more than the other) so there's always been questions about if he was the guy and then the Super Bowls kind of justified it. Now that we are in worst Giants season ever mode, they probably saw this as the time to pull the trigger.

Also Brees played at an extremely high level throughout his career even in recent years. His defense just sucked and it was obvious he wasn't part of the problem. Eli's been part of the problem. Not the only part, but he's contributed to various ceilings put on the Giants. Also Webb is going to play.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Keep in mind this is the organization that decided to move on from two time MVP, 1 time Super Bowl champion and future resurgence in the later part of his career Kurt Warner so they could try out fresh faced Eli Manning. So this isn't without precedent. Eli's been a weird paradox for the Giants for a while. He's extremely streaky but he has contributed to two Super Bowl efforts (one more than the other) so there's always been questions about if he was the guy and then the Super Bowls kind of justified it. Now that we are in worst Giants season ever mode, they probably saw this as the time to pull the trigger.

Thats a terrible comparison. Warner was a Giant for 10 games at that point. Not 14 years.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I suppose, but I see no way Geno is the future.  Davis Webb?  Eh, maybe, there's really no way to know unless you try.  But IMO, that's a big risk they're taking trying to go with him already.  I just think I woulda tried to keep Eli in town maybe one or two more years as a just-in-case measure, and if the team couldn't get fixed enough by then, then he goes.

Archived