Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

8 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Davis Webb has been the third string QB all year, he probably hasn't gotten any real reps at practice since July at rookie camps. He's not ready you start Geno while Webb gets some reps and study time in.

Why didn't they just make Webb the back up when the season went down the tubes?

35 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Being the only QB to beat the greatest dynasty of the Super Bowl era (twice) results in his career being flushed down the toilet like a dead goldfish. 

I’ve had bad jobs where they at least bought me a cake when I left.

Why does this surprise people. Coughlin was just as important if not vastly more important because his defense was what held the 07 Patriots offense in check  (Eli's offense only scored 17 points that game) and he was discarded like he was some crazy old guy who wasn't in touch with new younger group of players in the locker room. 

They were already clearing out the old guard and starting over, Eli likely only lasted as long as he did because of the sentimentality over that. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Evaluating what? Even if they put Webb in they have no OL or weapons for him to throw to. They can't run the ball and they expected Eli to make all of that better? Is it his fault they whiffed on Ereck Flowers? Is it his fault they ignored RB for years? Poor guy deserves better than this from a franchise that he's taken a beating for and given two super bowl rings. 

Then they might as well quit if you are never going to evaluate QB's because the rest of the pieces are bad. Eli was failing, he likely was out after this year with his contract, they have to figure out whether they have their next QB or if they have to go to the draft. And again, Coughlin was screwed just as bad if not worse, hell at least they were willing to give Eli a chance to keep the streak going while they started prepping for the off season. Coughlin was treated like garbage.

I don't get why there was this much outrage for Eli when the same thing happened to Coughlin not too long ago. 

44 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Why didn't they just make Webb the back up when the season went down the tubes?

Well when you and I thought the season went "down the tubes" and when they did is completely different. The season was over really and truly the moment Odell went down. Now they've felt the season has been over since probably Seahawks game which was 3 games ago. Plus how can you evaluate a young QB in this mess? Setting him up to fail.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Then they might as well quit if you are never going to evaluate QB's because the rest of the pieces are bad. Eli was failing, he likely was out after this year with his contract, they have to figure out whether they have their next QB or if they have to go to the draft. And again, Coughlin was screwed just as bad if not worse, hell at least they were willing to give Eli a chance to keep the streak going while they started prepping for the off season. Coughlin was treated like garbage.

I don't get why there was this much outrage for Eli when the same thing happened to Coughlin not too long ago. 

Coughlin was coaching for his job for like two years before he left. Eli as far I know was secure in his job.   Coughlin left in a gracious manner. Now whether he and Reese should've gone together is another argument for another day. 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Why does this surprise people. Coughlin was just as important if not vastly more important because his defense was what held the 07 Patriots offense in check  (Eli's offense only scored 17 points that game) and he was discarded like he was some crazy old guy who wasn't in touch with new younger group of players in the locker room. 

They were already clearing out the old guard and starting over, Eli likely only lasted as long as he did because of the sentimentality over that. 

I’m not at all surprised that the Giants are moving on from aging players and coaches, but this was done classlessly. At least give the guy the courtesy of moving on from him in the off-season.

They really need to audition Geno Smith for five games just double-check that he’s garbage?

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Well when you and I thought the season went "down the tubes" and when they did is completely different. The season was over really and truly the moment Odell went down. Now they've felt the season has been over since probably Seahawks game which was 3 games ago. Plus how can you evaluate a young QB in this mess? Setting him up to fail.

Well the issue is they probably were thinking about releasing Eli next year anyways with the way his contract is structured. He has a 5 million roster bonus coming up each of the next two years and already a built in out for 2019. So regardless they have to evaluate someone. They probably just want to see what Webb has and decide how to approach the draft after. Either way somebody is getting evaluated in a bad situation, and aside from the streak, if they are moving on from him, which it looks like they are, what's the point in letting Eli stay on a sinking ship and not at least see what the other guy has to make a more informed decision.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Well the issue is they probably were thinking about releasing Eli next year anyways with the way his contract is structured. He has a 5 million roster bonus coming up each of the next two years and already a built in out for 2019. So regardless they have to evaluate someone. They probably just want to see what Webb has and decide how to approach the draft after. Either way somebody is getting evaluated in a bad situation, and aside from the streak, if they are moving on from him, which it looks like they are, what's the point in letting Eli stay on a sinking ship and not at least see what the other guy has to make a more informed decision.

He's a rookie, you don't just go "you're on your own kid". You can't do that to him. It's not fair to him. It's essentially a waste. So I'd say integrate Webb in a way that he can a real feel for the NFL not so much to evaluate him. 

Honestly they should've just left Eli in there

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Coughlin was coaching for his job for like two years before he left. Eli as far I know was secure in his job.   Coughlin left in a gracious manner. Now whether he and Reese should've gone together is another argument for another day. 

Well here's the thing, neither Eli or Coughlin have been wildly consistant in their tenure with the Giants. Eli had one good playoff run in 2011. Coughlin had one excellent playoff run as a head coach in 2007. That was about as excellent as either one had ever been. Everything else has ranged from average, to really bad, to slightly above average. Any sentimentality of keeping Eli over two Super Bowl runs has the same value for Coughlin imo.

To be honest with you, I don't think Eli was secure in his job. There were quite a few analysts speculating that because of his contract this could be a potential final year for him and this ended up being a catastrophe of year all around where I think they are looking at a complete rebuild and Eli isn't part of that future.

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

He's a rookie, you don't just go "you're on your own kid". You can't do that to him. It's not fair to him. It's essentially a waste. So I'd say integrate Webb in a way that he can a real feel for the NFL not so much to evaluate him. 

Honestly they should've just left Eli in there

Imo no matter what they weren't paying Eli for 2018 after this year. So at some point somebody was going to sink or swim. That's just the way it is. 

Archived