Jets sign WR Allen Lazard (4 years, $44M, $22M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, kramxel said:

This might be the worst move of FA so far.... 

11M for a #4 WR... 

In what world is he a #4 WR?  $11 mil a year is standard for a starting WR.  The Jets are most likely either going to trade Corey Davis, possibly in that Rodgers trade, or release him.  This contract was a little less than what Davis had gotten. Davis was good but never could stay healthy with us. 

Lazard fits with what we need at WR, we have a #1 WR in Garrett Wilson. We need a big body WR who can block and be a redzone threat.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Besides blocking, name 1 thing Allen Lazard does well.

He's got solid hands. Other than that he's nothing special in terms of route running, speed, winning 50/50s etc. Jets fans are kidding themselves if they think this is a good signing if they don't get Rodgers. Overpay for sure IMO. He's a fine player...not going to hurt you but won't put you over the top in anything either.

He's a very good player and quite underrated, but this is an, overpay. 

As a GB fan I have loved Lazard since he first got on the field. He plays aggressive and angry, super physical and will run over CBs and get them off their game. He is more than just a "good blocker", he's quite likely the best blocking WR in the game and can flatten DBs before moving on to hold his own against LBs for proper, sustained blocks. Ever notice how many of Aaron Jones' runs seemed to be tosses or off-tackle runs, cutting to the outside and around the WRs? Lazard was almost as a big a factor in that as Jones himself (and I've been a, massive Jones fan boy since his rookie year so it's not to take away from him at all). 

Lazard also brings some versatility by being able to play power slot or possession boundary guy, and while his bulk stats aren't huge he has a knack of catching for first downs (and at important times), and a decent YPC at 13.2 for his career. He's an A+ character guy as well by all accounts, and should help set a tone among other receivers in the locker room. 

All that said... 11/yr with half guaranteed is too much in my opinion. He's good, but not that good - then again I think the WR market has been overpriced for the last two years or so. He doesn't get great separation, isn't quite the contested jump ball artist you might think from his size (though he is decent at it), is likely to have a few niggling injuries throughout the year and just doesn't have that extra "it" factor that you'd usually want to see when you break the 8 figure mark. I was hoping GB would be able to get him back, but more in the 7mn/yr range. 

Either way, the happiest man in the world about this signing shouldn't be Rodgers, or Salah or anyone other than Breece Hall. He was remarkable last year before the injury, having Lazard put there blowing open highways on the boundary to slot should do wonders for him picking up where he left off and then some. 

Edited by Billy86