Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

28 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Pretty sure Howie and Mickey Loomis popularized void years.

Yes, but void years only help with stretching out the cap hit of a signing bonus, and a signing bonus only prorates over 5 years. Typically the void years become relevant on shorter deals, like a 1 year deal where you can get away with just paying 1/5 of the signing bonus against the cap in year one. Since this is a 5 year deal, void years wouldn't actually do anything at this point. He can always add them later, of course, but it wouldn't do anything right now as they are typically used.

24 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Don't void years mean you can't be on the team  for the void years?

It means the contract ends, but they can still re-sign or sign an extension. Fletcher Cox's deal has voided like 3 straight years or something like that, they just then sign him to a new deal, and then pay him for his new deal plus the dead cap from what voided.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Yes, but void years only help with stretching out the cap hit of a signing bonus, and a signing bonus only prorates over 5 years. Typically the void years become relevant on shorter deals, like a 1 year deal where you can get away with just paying 1/5 of the signing bonus against the cap in year one. Since this is a 5 year deal, void years wouldn't actually do anything at this point. He can always add them later, of course, but it wouldn't do anything right now as they are typically used.

They could have option bonuses as opposed to big base salaries in years 3/4 that would touch void years if they had a couple tacked on to the end already

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

They could have option bonuses as opposed to big base salaries in years 3/4 that would touch void years if they had a couple tacked on to the end already

Do option bonuses pro-rate? I guess that I wasn't aware of, if that's the case. Feels like teams don't use those nearly as much as signing or roster bonuses.

Man that just gets gross though.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Do option bonuses pro-rate? I guess that I wasn't aware of, if that's the case.

Yes option bonus is like a delayed signing bonus in how it prorates.

Need to scroll down a ways

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Do option bonuses pro-rate? I guess that I wasn't aware of, if that's the case.

Yeah, option bonuses pro rate. I'm not sure if that's what's going on here, but that's a really heavy last two years based on those cap hits

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Gonna be fun this season when QB Sam Howell & his 900K salary wins the NFC East. 😁

I can't guarantee it, but I can guarantee Philly won't.

Given your extensive history of prognostication,  you can't guarantee anything Ace. 

In fact, I'm actually more encouraged now, since your post. 😎🍺

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That may only be one more year, and then we will have a QB who maxed out at the college level start for us!

I'm sure the next 5 years worth of success with that will undoubtedly  be different then the previous 5 of Kirk's, no doubt. GL with that.

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I mean look... this dude played like a stud last season. MVP candidate indisputably. But it was one season... the previous season was mediocre at best. The NTC here is my hangup. If he regresses or gets hurt and losses his ground production they are locked in for 4-5 years minimum (based on what I have seen of the contract so far). The Giants overpaid for DJ ( I totally understand the hypocrisy of me criticizing this deal) but they can get out of it in 2 seasons with minimal dead money. Eagles have essentially bet the farm on this kid maintaining 2022 production while constricting their ability to surround him with talent. He's a stud no doubt... but man that is alot of dough. 

Pretty much how I feel...   Its a good deal for the Eagles but lots of risks involved.   Will be interesting to see how it pans out when the roster ultimately changes.   

• Like 1