Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Just means the contract voids at a certain date. You can sign an extension before they trigger

which with a QB one of the safer bets you are going to make is that they'll get a 3rd contract with you if he's the guy.

Its structured to compete in the next 5 years, keep the team together (already locked in the offense for 3 more seasons save for Kelce) and then evaluate at that point.

Knowing what the team looks like will inform the next extension.
Howie has talked about how being a middling team always in the center is the worst place to be in the NFL.
So if they need to take a dip year or just eat a fat portion of it in those later years they will. If the offense is fine you kick those big number out of the like the rest of the deal

Barring regression or bad injury, you are looking at about an average 28-30 year old average on offense at the end of this extension. That includes projected additions & subtractions. Kelce / Lane / Goedert out, and guys 24-28 filling in at RG/RT/TE with a rookie deal runningback. So if the window is open the...n it's not really a crazy thing to keep propped open a few more seasons near the end of this thing.

Long term aside from player health, biggest question I have for that whole thing is will Devonta and AJ be cool being like a Harrison/Wayne and making it work to stay with Jalen? Or will they try to go get paid big like Adams, Hill?

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt it. I'm hoping we can avoid taking a QB early this year and then look at one in the next draft.

you guys are cursed to the middle always.

I agree it's probably best for them to just bottom out for a year. And not like trade a ton to a team picking 8-12 (Atlanta, Philly, Houston come to mind) to get Levis this year. Or take one of the other QBs after those top 4 at pick 23 straight up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Daniel's deal is looking better every day. 

Is it though?

Cap hits next 4 years

Hurts

2023: $6.15M

2024: $13.56M

2025: $21.77M

2026: $31.77M

Jones

2023: $21M

2024: $45M

2025: $39.5M

2026: $56.5M

As a average QB, I'm sure DJ is more then satisfied with his deal. Overjoyed in fact!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Additionally, while Mahomes's guarantee outright was very minimal, there's repeated rolling guarantees throughout the entire term of the deal.

This is the issue I could see a stronger union take up though. Larger outright guarantees, because I tell you what, if I were an owner/GM right now I would point to the structure of that Mahomes contract and tell my QB that’s what it’s going to look like.

The point I made at first has been really twisted around - because it’s more the structure of his contract is letting other QBs down IMO more than the extra money helps. You made the comment about his basically being two deals. Sure that’s great and all but that second half is going to be outdated by the time it hits. We still have two more years of his “$40mil” part of the deal to go and the AAV is past $50mil already. We’ll have Herbert, Lawrence, Burrow, Lamar all looking for mega deals before that hits. But you will also have the usual push for near top dollar from Tua, Pickett, the SF QB situation, Goff. Might have Watson looking at an extension (due to the restructures), Dak having a void that needs to be worked around. That’s a lot of names who will either want a higher AAV or crowd the top of the market for money. I think there’s a good chance even without a market resetting contract we might be scraping $60mil AAV by then. 

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is it though?

Cap hits next 4 years

Hurts

Jones

As a average QB, I'm sure DJ is more then satisfied with his deal. Overjoyed in fact!

I'm not going to make the same claim blu did, but c'mon, you know this is disingenuous. I see a lot of Eagles fans just acting like you aren't going to have to pay him all of his guaranteed money. The Eagles are masters at cap manipulation, but guaranteed money is guaranteed money. If Hurts's cap hits are actually that low in the first 4 years, his 5th year cap hit is going to be astronomical (before inevitable restructures that push his money out over ~10 void years). He's going to get paid. That Eliot Shor-Parks tweet is as dumb as his "I could luck into a home run against an MLB pitcher" tweet.

The Eagles like pushing large sums of money into the future, and the Giants, under their new GM, like taking their medicine early. One approach allows you to have a 'bigger' championship window in the very near term by keeping more cap space free right now at the cost of HAVING to essentially tank at some point in the future. The other hamstrings you a bit in the short term, but maintains cap health and insures any deals for players that go sour don't ruin you. There are benefits and downsides to both, and for the Eagles, it kind of makes sense to do it the way they did (although, they are going to be in dead cap hell for over a decade now if Hurts doesn't continue to play well/gets hurt. This Super Bowl window hangover is going to be unprecedented from a money perspective [the Eagles are going to be feeling the real Kelce, Cox, Graham cap hits very soon), and it also makes sense for the Giants to structure Jones's contract the way they did (more unproven than Hurts at this point, betting on future improvement that honestly may or may not happen; if it doesn't happen, you can cut bait clean after 2 years).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Gonna be fun this season when QB Sam Howell & his 900K salary wins the NFC East. 😁

I can't guarantee it, but I can guarantee Philly won't.

You can guarantee Philly won't even though they just made the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in the past 6 years and almost won again?

15 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Gonna be fun this season when QB Sam Howell & his 900K salary wins the NFC East. 😁

I can't guarantee it, but I can guarantee Philly won't.

when is the thread of Howell breaking all QB records coming?  

Edited by fluhartz
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

LOL

40M for Daniel Jones

or 51M for the MVP Runner-Up?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'm still not sure I believe those numbers but if they are true....I'll say this.... if Jones regresses back to sucking or gets injured and loses his athleticism. 140M of guaranteed is off the books in 2 years. The Giants can walk away clean in the 3rd year. If Hurts regresses or gets hurt he's got an NTC and 100M of guaranteed money not accounted for (so far). The dead money on those final years has to be over 50M. It's a risky deal for you guys that basically goes all in now while the iron is hot and your team is stacked. 

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is it though?

Cap hits next 4 years

Hurts

Jones

Philly structured this nicely.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1648346574282424320?cxt=HHwWgICwrbuejeAtAAAA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not going to make the same claim blu did, but c'mon, you know this is disingenuous. I see a lot of Eagles fans just acting like you aren't going to have to pay him all of his guaranteed money. The Eagles are masters at cap manipulation, but guaranteed money is guaranteed money. If Hurts's cap hits are actually that low in the first 4 years, his 5th year cap hit is going to be astronomical (before inevitable restructures that push his money out over ~10 void years). He's going to get paid. That Eliot Shor-Parks tweet is as dumb as his "I could luck into a home run against an MLB pitcher" tweet.

The Eagles like pushing large sums of money into the future, and the Giants, under their new GM, like taking their medicine early. One approach allows you to have a 'bigger' championship window in the very near term by keeping more cap space free right now at the cost of HAVING to essentially tank at some point in the future. The other hamstrings you a bit in the short term, but maintains cap health and insures any deals for players that go sour don't ruin you. There are benefits and downsides to both, and for the Eagles, it kind of makes sense to do it the way they did (although, they are going to be in dead cap hell for over a decade now if Hurts doesn't continue to play well/gets hurt. This Super Bowl window hangover is going to be unprecedented from a money perspective [the Eagles are going to be feeling the real Kelce, Cox, Graham cap hits very soon), and it also makes sense for the Giants to structure Jones's contract the way they did (more unproven than Hurts at this point, betting on future improvement that honestly may or may not happen; if it doesn't happen, you can cut bait clean after 2 years).

Ya. As a fan I can say for sure that I want us to be as competitive as possible right now and worry about 2027 when that comes. ESP is a moron though, please don't take him seriously.

It is obvious our FO is going to do everything it can to keep our window open as long as it can. Sure, down the line we are going to bottom out at some point, but that is generally true for every team and happened to us just three years ago. The bottom doesn't have to be a pit that you can't climb out of for a decade. But yeah, I am all for keeping this window as open as long as we can with our offensive firepower. The only true worry for Hurts going forward is can he remain healthy(because he uses his legs) and can his D give him enough help to make it possible for him to win games. Our offense is keeping 10/11 starters and replacing the one lost starter with a second round pick last year. Even if Hurts doesn't play at an MVP level again I can't see him regressing to the point of being a hindrance. He is clearly just a good QB at this point. 

Can our defense play at a level that is high enough to win a championship though? That is the big question. We all thought our defense was loaded last season and we were forced to watch Hurts be completely let down in the big game. Going to be hard to look back on the 3-4 years and say it was a success if our crowning achievement was losing in the SB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'm still not sure I believe those numbers but if they are true....I'll say this.... if Jones regresses back to sucking or gets injured and loses his athleticism. 140M of guaranteed is off the books in 2 years. The Giants can walk away clean in the 3rd year. If Hurts regresses or gets hurt he's got an NTC and 100M of guaranteed money not accounted for (so far). The dead money on those final years has to be over 50M. It's a risky deal for you guys that basically goes all in now while the iron is hot and your team is stacked. 

Isn't that the approach you take when any FQB not named Pat Mahomes moving forward signs a deal? There are no guarantees. You can't predict injury or a players future, you as a Franchise take a calculated risk. 

The Bills assume Josh Allen will be the same QB or better in the future.

The Bengals will assume Joe Burrow will be the same QB or better in the future.

The Chargers assume Justin Herbert will be the same QB or better in the future.

There is no difference with the Eagles and Hurts. They've seen his work ethic,  his desire to improve his craft and how he has improved every single year of his career. How players are more then willing to follow him into the fire!

The difference between that and the Giants is their belief Daniel Jones is that QB. He had 3 years of average to below average QB play , then last year. They like you should be hesitant. There is a difference. 

As for the numbers, I stopped wondering how TF Howie does his wizardry a long time ago. It's why he is regarded as one of the top if not top GM in football.  

Edited by Nabbs4u