Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Isn't that the approach you take when any FQB not named Pat Mahomes moving forward signs a deal? There are no guarantees. You can't predict injury or a players future, you as a Franchise take a calculated risk. 

Yes but typically those deals have the guaranteed money structured more towards the front years so if that injury happens the team can move on without being on the hook for years and years. Look at the Mahomes and Kyler deals. If PM got hurt KC could totally walk away from him after 2025 and move on. If Kyler is physically done the Cards could move on from him at a cap net savings after 2025. All the guaranteed money is front ended like the Jones deal. 

Again I need to see the real numbers before I make a total judgment. But from the breakdowns I have seen so (if they are true) there HAS to be a TON of dead cap money at the backend of Hurts contract. Now throw in an NTC and if he gets hurt or regresses you guys are stuck paying massive amounts of dead cap money til 2028.

It's obvious your upper management thinks he is worth that risk. And if it delivers a ring it absolutely was. But it could also backfire and put you in cap strapped hell for the next 5+ years depending on restructures. The way your team is stacked to win right now it makes sense though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

The difference between that and the Giants is their belief Daniel Jones is that QB. He had 3 years of average to below average QB play , then last year. They like you should be hesitant. There is a difference. 

I mean the same can be said for Jalen as well...     He has only had one quality year under his belt although it was a much better year than Daniel Jones.   The other year he played full-time and was pretty underwhelming as a passer.  My point being they both looked like they wouldn't be starters until this past season.  Although Jalen has improved in less time 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, sryan66611 said:

I mean the same can be said for Jalen as well...     He has only had one quality year under his belt although it was a much better year than Daniel Jones.   The other year he played full-time and was pretty underwhelming as a passer.  My point being they both looked like they wouldn't be starters until this past season.  Although Jalen has improved in less time 

One has shown the ability to improve every year since college, that player isn't Daniel Jones. There is a difference. 

I know it gives Giants fans hope to try and compare the two based off raw stats but it's really not. Not from a work ethic, overall mentality or leadership aspect that's for sure.

Hurts whether people believe it or not, has a different mentality then most. Is clear every time he speaks. That "It" factor!! Something not even the die hardest of Giants fans could ever say or suggest they felt about Danny Dimes. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 5:34 PM, warfelg said:

No one is saying that.  I just said I wonder if the NFLPA would want to pressure him for a different structure that puts his near the top again.  When the cap makes another jump, if he's still at a sub-$50mil cap hit and cash flow, owners will start to cap QB's some, especially if Mahomes stays the best and some of these mega contracts don't work out.

I don't get why the NFLPA should pressure him to get back at the top again.

Franchises are forced to spend a specified minimum number, which is pretty close to the salary cap. That was important for the NFLPA because it guarantees that the players collectively get their $.

Pushing for more money for Mahomes just means that there is less to divide over the other Chiefs players.. 

Pushing for more guaranteed dollars for Mahomes again just means that the Chiefs will spend the money on Mahomes, but their total spend will not increase by it.  

Maybe i'm missing something, because i don't see what the interest for the NFLPA would be in this case.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

I get getting out in front of the Burrow, Jackson, and Herbert deals but I would have waited another year and took that risk. If he's truly HIM then you pay him like that next year instead of risking a Carson Wentz 2.0 fiasco here.

You do that, you end up with another Dak Prescott -Jerry Jones Fiasco.  You know, We (Cowboys) need you to prove it again for another year only to then have to pay him $40M  annually instead of locking him in at the going rate of $28-30M "pre" Goff/Wentz deals.

Also having seen Carson Wentz first hand, how he interacted with teammates, worked on his craft, leadership, ect.... I'm fairly certain Howie of all people is fully aware of the massive difference in Jalen Hurts the man, QB, leader and Carson Wentz.

You've never been a Hurts fan so I get your criticism of the deal or lack of belief in Hurts, but this was the right move, Before the rest made it 55-60M next year.

Edited by Nabbs4u

I don’t think Jalen is worth this money. I don’t think he’s a top QB. I think he’s pretty maxed out talent wise and will probably regress as his game depends on his athleticism. With that said the eagles did right by him. They won a ton of games and surrounded him with stupid talent. But that Oline is getting older. He’s an excellent fit for their system and they have a young coach who they BELIVE in. So right now you pay the price to keep the core intact. What happens 3-5 years down the line doesn’t matter now. But that’s a lot or guaranteed money… Just depends if the NFL can remove the RPO which hasn’t happened yet. 

19 hours ago, El Ramster said:

But that Oline is getting older. He’s an excellent fit for their system and they have a young coach who they BELIVE in. So right now you pay the price to keep the core intact. What happens 3-5 years down the line doesn’t matter now. But that’s a lot or guaranteed money… Just depends if the NFL can remove the RPO which hasn’t happened yet. 

Eagles have already replaced 3/5 of thier OL. Yes Losing Kelce and Lane will be a massive blow to any offense when that happens  but several pieces are already in place.

Mailata, Dickerson and Jurgens. Be shocked if it's not addressed again in this years draft as well knowing Howie. 

As for the RPO being stopped, Jalen also led the league or was among league leaders in several categories throwing from within the pocket. Has improved in numerous statistical categories every year in the NFL. No reason to think that won't still occur in years to come "Unless" major injury occurs. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Eagles have already replaced 3/5 of thier OL. Yes Losing Kelce and Lanewill be a massive blow to any offense when that happens but several pieces are already in place.

Mailata, Dickerson and Jurgens. Be shocked if it's not addressed again in this years draft as well knowing Howie. 

As for the RPO being stopped, Jalen also led the league or was among league leaders in several categories throwing from within the pocket. Has improved in numerous statistical categories every year in the NFL. No reason to think that won't still occur in years to come "Unless" major injury occurs. 

Very fair.. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

It will be interesting to see where these contracts end up. There are a bunch of guy near extension, Burrow, Jackson, Herbert. 

North of $55-60M APY. Or that honor will fall upon Trevor Lawrence or Pat Mahomes on a restructure in the next year or so.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

At what point do they become not worth it? When someone hits 70 million.

There are QB's now that are/were on big contracts and not worth it.  Dak, Cousins, Ryan

Mahomes has been worth it with his playoff success.

Could add Rodgers to the list of not worth it based on playoff results