49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

The moment he is traded, he's considered a bust for SF, right? That would be 2 out of the 5 first rounders that are considered busts before they even start their 3rd season. 

Edit: 2 of the 5 first round QBs taken in his class. 

For SF, yes. But he has a chance to not be a bust as a player, if that makes sense. 

Like, I think Alex Smith was a bust for SF at the first overall pick, but Smith ultimately had a good, long career and I wouldn't consider him a bust as a player. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, General Tso said:

One thing to consider is DeMeco Ryans was on the 9ers before this. He saw Trey everyday in practice. He has as good of an evaluation of Trey as anyone, you'd think.

Adding to this - Ryans’ current OC is Bobby Slowik, who was the offensive passing coordinator for the 49ers last season.

So, Slowik wasn’t just there in practice - he was in the classroom, on the whiteboard, in the film room and on the headset with Lance on a daily basis. Slowik is the guy who was most responsible for Lance preparing as a starter this past season, and worked with him from Lance’s rookie season until the ankle injury last season (and probably continued meeting with him post-injury).

A passing game coordinator is a defacto QB coach - not so much on physical technique, footwork, mechanics, etc. but moreso the mental reps guys take weekly getting ready for that weeks’ game. (Which… some could argue is the most important part of a QBs preparation).

If anyone outside the 49ers can make an assessment on where Trey Lance is as a QB… it’s Slowik.

• Like 8

Serious question though, what would SF's plans at QB be? They're not exactly loaded with premium picks to move up. Is Lance that valuable? 

I imagine they'd have to pony up quite a bit of assets to move into round 1 for a QB this year, more than they likely even have without mortgaging basically everything next year, no?

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Serious question though, what would SF's plans at QB be? They're not exactly loaded with premium picks to move up. Is Lance that valuable? 

I imagine they'd have to pony up quite a bit of assets to move into round 1 for a QB this year, more than they likely even have without mortgaging basically everything next year, no?

It's brock purdy? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

what-wait.gif

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

For SF, yes. But he has a chance to not be a bust as a player, if that makes sense. 

Like, I think Alex Smith was a bust for SF at the first overall pick, but Smith ultimately had a good, long career and I wouldn't consider him a bust as a player. 

SF made Alex Smith bust themselves when they had a different offensive coordinator every single year for 5 years in a row; Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, and Jimmy Raye. Jimmy Raye survived two years total and then they brought in Greg Roman. It's a miracle Smith was able to salvage his career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

SF made Alex Smith bust themselves when they had a different offensive coordinator every single year for 5 years in a row; Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, and Jimmy Raye. Jimmy Raye survived two years total and then they brought in Greg Roman. It's a miracle Smith was able to salvage his career.

Raye was actually replaced 3 weeks into his second season, so it was even worse lol 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Because these QB with no experience and lack of accuracy used to go in the mid rounds.  Now all of a sudden they are top 5 picks. Trey Lance should be a huge cautionary tale. 

Mike Vick thew less than 350 passes in his college career. Cam newton started 14 games at auburn and threw less than 300 passes. There are layers upon layers of context and nuance.