Name successful players acquired by teams they didn’t want to play for at first

brownie man

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You could tell in his face. Or was that just the narcissism of not being number 1, as he expected?

That was a weird draft. I remember him being the presumptive number 1 pick up until like a couple of days before the draft. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I may be completely making this up, but I thought there were rumors the Saints weren't going to be willing to pay him much.

His agents wanted him playing for the Jets “Big Apple, big lights” was a quote Bush used to explain his/his agents thought process…

I don’t think Bush really cared as much as his agents, him telling the story years after the fact he sounds like it was mostly his agents vs Payton.

Regardless of where he wanted to get selected on draft day, it only took a couple days in the city before he was sold and it was smooth sailing from there. He talked about how quickly his mood started to change once he got off the plane. 

DE/OLB Alfred Williams didn't want to go to Cincinnati when they picked him in 1991. He was disappointed that Denver took another OLB, Nebraska's Mike Croel, over him. 

However, he had some good years in Cinci (10 sacks in 92 and 9.5 in 94) before going to SF in 95 and Denver in 96 (where he had 13 sacks and made first-team All-Pro). 

On 4/20/2023 at 8:24 PM, Soko said:

Most Patriots, probably. 

Can’t imagine Gronk was excited about NE, other than playing with Tom.

Wow, this has to be one of THE most Patriot comments ever on this forum.

I know it's been a long, long time since NE has won a SB (jfc they haven't won since 2019? lmao) and back when Gronk got drafted it was even worse (2010 vs 2004? I think) but it wasn't like NE was winning the NFC East every year while featuring a highly competitive roster that was in perennial SB contention. I can only imagine the anguish Gronk must have been going through being drafted by NE compared to the real premium contenders playing on cold weather like the Browns, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Bears or Broncos. No sir, NE would 100% be the worst place for him to land, disregarding hindsight. Maybe he would have preferred Pittsburgh or Green bay at the time time when it comes to cold weather teams, but otherwise I don't see how NE wouldn't have been his #1 choice.

Unless you were being sarcastic, then I guess it was decent bait.

6 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I know it's been a long, long time since NE has won a SB (jfc they haven't won since 2019? lmao) and back when Gronk got drafted it was even worse (2010 vs 2004? I think) but it wasn't like NE was winning the NFC East every year while featuring a highly competitive roster that was in perennial SB contention. I can only imagine the anguish Gronk must have been going through being drafted by NE compared to the real premium contenders playing on cold weather like the Browns, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Bears or Broncos. No sir, NE would 100% be the worst place for him to land, disregarding hindsight. Maybe he would have preferred Pittsburgh or Green bay at the time time when it comes to cold weather teams, but otherwise I don't see how NE wouldn't have been his #1 choice.

Nah, you’re just being dramatic. I didn’t say they were the worst franchise in the league or that the players had “anguish” in regards to playing there, that’s just fluff you added. 

Don’t overthink it. Plenty of players have both talked negatively about their time as a Patriot (just recently, Asante Samuel) and scoffed at the idea of coming aboard (just recently, DeAndre Hopkins). 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:55 AM, Pugger said:

It wasn't the draft but I recall when we signed Charles Woodson he was less than thrilled.  But he eventually came around and ended up as one of the leaders of that SB locker room.

That's pretty much the only one I remember for the Packers in the last several decades.  IIRC, only Tampa Bay and Green Bay offered him contracts, but Tampa wanted him as a safety but Green Bay was willing to sign him as a CB.  And the rest was history.

15 hours ago, malak1 said:

That was a weird draft. I remember him being the presumptive number 1 pick up until like a couple of days before the draft. 

I was totally surprised to hear any other name other than Bush. From memory, he was like a locked on number 1 as it got at the time 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 7:24 PM, Soko said:

Most Patriots, probably. 

Can’t imagine Gronk was excited about NE, other than playing with Tom.

Gronk was on a podcast not long ago. He said he was ecstatic he got drafted by the pats. He did the dance with the cap and all that and immediately got a phone call from the Pats asking him to stop. 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Well, Gronk himself proves you correct. See my post above. You can see this clip on YouTube too.