NFL suspends 5 players for gambling

RaidersAreOne

Never really understood why people get outraged when guys get popped for gambling.  It seems like (and how much the NFL is in bed with gambling now) it's abundantly clear that "when you're a professional athlete, you don't gamble on sports" is like one of those inviolate rules.  Do they need to go over this more at the rookie symposium or something?

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

Interesting, i didn’t know that it was against NFL policy that you can’t bet on other sports as well. That’s stupid 

It's a perception thing.  What the NFL needs to avoid at all costs is "people involved in an NFL game are gambling on this game and so act in order to ensure they win their bets"  since if the public believes the NFL games aren't on the level, then they're not going to want to bet on them and then the Caesars money goes away.  If someone is betting on CFB, the NBA, MLS, the WNBA, etc. it's not hard to see how that person might start betting on NFL games.  But we can't prove they did, so the punishment is lighter.

Simplest thing is just to not install those apps while you're in the league.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

Interesting, i didn’t know that it was against NFL policy that you can’t bet on other sports as well. That’s stupid 

You can, but apparently not on team facilities including bus/planes. Reportedly, Jamo placed bets at training faculty and team bus, but not on NFL games. 

Brad Holmes has already released Moore and Cephus. I’m interested in the financial ramifications. I don’t think Jamo will lose more than $500,000 for the games missed but I believe the contract guarantees might come into play. 

9 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I believe these penalties were for betting on college games - but doing it from an NFL facility.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I believe these penalties were for betting on college games - but doing it from an NFL facility.

I think the rule is still "don't bet on games" and if you're doing it on the team's wifi, they're absolutely monitoring that traffic for a bunch of different things, so you're going to get caught.

The NFL is not a security state though, so the things you do with your own phone on your own network are probably not so closely monitored, so you can probably get away with a bunch of things that aren't within the rules.  It's just that "when you do it at team facilities, that's when you get caught."

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the rule is still "don't bet on games" and if you're doing it on the team's wifi, they're absolutely monitoring that traffic for a bunch of different things, so you're going to get caught.

The NFL is not a security state though, so the things you do with your own phone on your own network are probably not so closely monitored, so you can probably get away with a bunch of things that aren't within the rules.  It's just that "when you do it at team facilities, that's when you get caught."

I dont think the NFL cares what games / sports other than NFL games you bet on - or - that you dont do any of it at an NFL facility.
So......dont bet on NFL games and do the rest from home. How hard can that be?

Edited by Leader