NFL suspends 5 players for gambling

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Allegations of corruption, throwing games, or point shaving is something that could legitimately kill the league, and that’s bad for business.

Short term, this is the the only thing that could kill the league.

I kind of feel for Isaiah Rodgers, because he's gonna end up with a lifetime ban over something that he probably didn't think would be a big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Short term, this is the the only thing that could kill the league.

I kind of feel for Isaiah Rodgers, because he's gonna end up with a lifetime ban over something that he probably didn't think would be a big deal.

Agreed, but that said, he was perceptive at least at some level enough to setup an account in someone else’s name and thought he’d get away with it.

I don’t think most people realize how much you can see from people’s electronic devices.

Short of someone else placing in person bets for you, you’re getting nailed, and even then check out what happened in the Alabama baseball Coach situation. Stayed away and in person, but the money line was suspicious and they linked the middle man to a phone call.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Agreed, but that said, he was perceptive at least at some level enough to setup an account in someone else’s name and thought he’d get away with it.

I don’t think most people realize how much you can see from people’s electronic devices.

Short of someone else placing in person bets for you, you’re getting nailed, and even then check out what happened in the Alabama baseball Coach situation. Stayed away and in person, but the money line was suspicious and they linked the middle man to a phone call.

Yep, electronic gambling surveillance seems like a very simple adaptation of existing technology. 

Facebook already produces ghost profiles for non-users based on their phone's interaction with other phones that have Facebook on them. A gambling authority could absolutely use the Wifi network sharing time and bet time to demonstrate that two phones were near each other when the bet was made. Deviations from standard betting patterns in the presence of someone with inside info can be automatically flagged for review.

And that's just the beginning. I said it earlier, we're giving the house an absolute deluge of information that they can track, and the House hasn't even started utilizing it to the fullest. Airlines already raise prices on tickets if people keep refreshing the page on them or spend a long time on the page, Vegas could easily do something similar to produce individual lines based on their previous preferences.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

You really think the NFL cares about its players? 

They care about whether something could affect their bottom line, which this has the potential to. It's why they're coming down pretty hard on players that do this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was thinking about this last night "why can't NFL players just ask someone else to do it?"

And it looks like you guys answered my question.. which is scary.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, General Tso said:

I was thinking about this last night "why can't NFL players just ask someone else to do it?"

I got rid of FB well over a decade ago when I asked a friend of mine about how he enjoyed a place he'd visited. He was like WTF?!? How'd I know. I told him his phone told his FB feed and posted it. Shortly after I decided social media and bringing my phone everywhere was no longer in my future plans. It doesn't take long to break the addiction as people really are addicted to their 'things' which is just as scary as what those things can do. 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, electronic gambling surveillance seems like a very simple adaptation of existing technology. 

Facebook already produces ghost profiles for non-users based on their phone's interaction with other phones that have Facebook on them. A gambling authority could absolutely use the Wifi network sharing time and bet time to demonstrate that two phones were near each other when the bet was made. Deviations from standard betting patterns in the presence of someone with inside info can be automatically flagged for review.

And that's just the beginning. I said it earlier, we're giving the house an absolute deluge of information that they can track, and the House hasn't even started utilizing it to the fullest. Airlines already raise prices on tickets if people keep refreshing the page on them or spend a long time on the page, Vegas could easily do something similar to produce individual lines based on their previous preferences.

You can be homeless, jobless, cutoff from healthcare or food.   They can freeze your accounts or empty them. Remotely.

Govts no longer need to come point a gun at you to bring consequences for non compliance.

Other countries have already tried it out in relative doses.   As have we. 

It’s a Brave new world.  

On 6/7/2023 at 12:14 PM, General Tso said:

FWIW, I do think the answer to that question is sometimes a bit less dramatic. As someone who does put a little bit into daily fantasy stuff each year, I don't really do it for the money, I consider it part of my entertainment budget, I just find it fun to set the rosters and draft teams and stuff. And the money makes it so there's actual stakes. I don't think I'd have as much fun if I was funneling it through a middleman. So I imagine in some cases, they don't do that just because then it loses it's appeal as a fun thing to do anyway.

• Like 1