NFL suspends 5 players for gambling

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thank you. So do the vast majority of Americans whose employers aren't in the nanny state business trying to control what their employees legally do on their PEDs.

Guess you're greatful though to have that freedom of not being a multimillionaire athlete forced to follow such barbaric rules to stay employed.  Congrats! 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Terrible rule? The league has a big enough problem with fans thinking its rigged

Gambling on NFL games being against the rules is fine it's the "you can gamble on other sports but not when you're at team facilities, on the bus, on the plane, etc..." Rule that is kind of stupid.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Terrible rule? The league has a big enough problem with fans thinking its rigged

And we think that by restricting placing bets on another sport during team activities, but also allowing them to place the exact same bet outside of team facilities, is the kind of rule that ensures fans that the sport is free of corruption?

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

And we think that by restricting placing bets on another sport during team activities, but also allowing them to place the exact same bet outside of team facilities, is the kind of rule that ensures fans that the sport is free of corruption?

No but it helps catch the dumb ones who break the rules anyways.

19 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thinking it's rigged? It is rigged. Last year's officiating sealed plus the NFL sponsoring sports gambling sealed the deal for me. Against the Commanders game for example, the ref literally put his shoulder down and laid out a Viking who would have picked it off just for a Commander receiver to score on a long bomb.

The NFL discontinuing its gambling sponsorship would be a great step into people not thinking its rigged, but that will never happened.

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

The other sport thing fine but man how stupid can they be? Its a rule collectively bargained and especially after the Ridley suspension? You should have that stuff memorized its part of being a professional nfl player 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

No but it helps catch the dumb ones who break the rules anyways.

What does that accomplish? Is it good practice to implement rules that don't really accomplish anything, other than catch violators on technicalities?

-----

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The other sport thing fine but man how stupid can they be? Its a rule collectively bargained and especially after the Ridley suspension? You should have that stuff memorized its part of being a professional nfl player 

Exactly what I said. 

File it in the Josh Gordon category of "Gotta deal with unfortunate rules if you want to get paid millions in the NFL".

It ain't hard to not smoke weed if you are offered millions of dollars and we all knew it was a dumb rule at the time - but it's hard to feel sorry for someone making millions of dollars if you can't abide by the rules, regardless of how stupid they may seem to be on the surface.

Edited by Soggust
'and' sounded snarkier than i wanted
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

And what does that accomplish? 

Gives this fake vibe of being the purest of the pure.

Also, fans can now pretend that they would never do such a stupid thing in their early twenties because the amount of money you get paid prevents early 20s stupidity. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Not to be petty, but I’m glad. I know damn well there’s been more than just Lions players doing it. Either address the broken policy or go after everyone Will be interesting to see who else is suspended. 

What if the next wave are… more Lions? 🤣

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Not to be petty, but I’m glad. I know damn well there’s been more than just Lions players doing it. Either address the broken policy or go after everyone Will be interesting to see who else is suspended. 

At some point they are going to revise the policy and what the lions players did won't even be something to get suspended for

• Like 4