NFL suspends 5 players for gambling

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

How can they prove he was on team bus when he placed the bets? Someone snitch?

Yeah this was my question. Are they just tracking router traffic in the facility and on the bus?

I feel like Jamo might get his suspension reduced on appeal because his is the most "wtf how is that illegal" of the suspensions.

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah this was my question. Are they just tracking router traffic in the facility and on the bus?

I feel like Jamo might get his suspension reduced on appeal because his is the most "wtf how is that illegal" of the suspensions.

I don't think there's currently a precedent for appealing a gambling suspension. I'm not sure if that's even allowed?

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don’t know that the NFL has ever gone easy on someone cause the NFLs rule was dumb 

6 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

If you don't think that your phone can track your exact location at all times.... idk where you have been lol. The betting companies rely on the faith in betting being legitimate in order to make money. They are 100% tracking pro athletes who have accounts with them. They are likely tracking their friends and family as well. They know who they bet on, where, and how much . Athletes who think they can get away with stuff like this are in for a harsh reality.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

Bus probably has wifi administered by the team.  We learned from the Calvin Ridley affair that the NFL employs at least one organization to monitor internet traffic to catch anybody using the gambling apps and see what they're doing, so that's most likely what happened here.

54 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don’t get why you would ever risk your livelihood like this as an athlete. So incredibly stupid. 

It's a stupidity tax that's for sure, because realistically why does the place they bet actually matter? It's a dumb rule, and the players are dumber for violating it

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

It's a stupidity tax that's for sure, because realistically why does the place they bet actually matter? It's a dumb rule, and the players are dumber for violating it

I have no problem with the rule - none - especially since its so easily accommodated by the players.

• Like 1

Just now, mse326 said:

I do agree that the rule of betting on unrelated sports in the facility is ridiculous. That is a really dumb rule that I don't see much logic in.

That said there is no way the NFL players aren't completely and fully aware of said rule, so I also agree that it is even dumber for them to still bet in the facility. Like just wait until you get home????????????? So dumb.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

I have no problem with the rule - none - especially since its so easily accommodated by the players.

I just don't really understand how the rule accomplishes anything. I agree it is easy not to break, but that doesn't make it a good thing. But I am probably being narrow-sighted here somehow.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I just don't really understand how the rule accomplishes anything. I agree it is easy not to break, but that doesn't make it a good thing. But I am probably being narrow-sighted here somehow.

I assume in the NFL's eyes, when you are employed by the team and league, you are supposed to be doing team and league things when you are at the facility.

( As we all discuss this topic when most of us should be actually doing work for our employer )

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

My only guess was this is a relic of when bets were more often going to be between you and bookie rather than through a regulated gambling site, but it should be eliminated or at least narrowed to that type of situation

• Like 1