2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I also don’t think Edmunds is not well suited to play ILB in a system that demands a ton mentally from the positon. Ideally he would play SLB in a 4-3 and just run to the Ball.

Yep. I see him as a great seek and destroy type LB with perhaps such a high ability set that even with a one trick pony limitation he'd still demand attention and adjustment from offenses.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I think Nelson is going to be sitting atop Pace's board. We have a glaring hole at LG, Harry Hiestand knows him inside-out, and this offense is going to need to protect with 5. If Massie is the weak link on the line, you can have Kyle keep an eye out there and keep everyone else singled up (pending blitzes yatta yatta).

Will he be there at 8? I don't know. If he's not, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts we either draft a pass rusher or trade down.

Watch our draft be something like

1. Nelson- (with intention to put him OG)

2. Wynn- (With intention to keep/put him OT and replace Massie immediately)

4. Parker-OT (developmental swing tackle for Heistand to work with, with intention to one day replace Leno)

Then everyone else on is all flyers on Corner/ Linebacker and maybe a bottom of the roster speedster WR

In all honesty.... I wouldn't mind it.... It's kind of kicking the defense in the nuts for a year to get the offense installed, but

Leno, Nelson, Whitehair, Long, Wynn  sounds like a damn nice starting front 5.... and if Long goes down, bump Wynn inside and put either Parker or Massie @ RT.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think you are focusing too much on what they have already shown.

Davenport needs work as a pass rusher.

If I am going to be developing a pass rusher why not develop the guy who has a more interesting skill set?

I also don’t think Edmunds is not well suited to play ILB in a system that demands a ton mentally from the positon. Ideally he would play SLB in a 4-3 and just run to the Ball.

Every prospect needs work when they get to the NFL...

Your trying to develop a guy from 0 to 10 instead of a from 6 or 7 to 10...just makes no sense and very rarely have we seen it work out in the NFL...

Also we have clearly reached draft silly season where prospects are being nitpicked to destruction...nothing about Edmunds film says he can't be a highly successful ILB in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Watch our draft be something like

1. Nelson- (with intention to put him OG)

2. Wynn- (With intention to keep/put him OT and replace Massie immediately)

4. Parker-OT (developmental swing tackle for Heistand to work with, with intention to one day replace Leno)

Then everyone else on is all flyers on Corner/ Linebacker and maybe a bottom of the roster speedster WR

In all honesty.... I wouldn't mind it.... It's kind of kicking the defense in the nuts for a year to get the offense installed, but

Leno, Nelson, Whitehair, Long, Wynn  sounds like a damn nice starting front 5.... and if Long goes down, bump Wynn inside and put either Parker or Massie @ RT.

Isaiah Wynn can not play tackle in the NFL his arms are far too short.  Hes going to be a great guard but you dont draft 2 ogs in the first 2 rounds.  And whether people like it or not, the Bears are not desperately looking to replace Massie.  

• Like 1

On March 26, 2018 at 5:44 PM, IronMike84 said:

Edmunds’ poor instincts versus misdirection is still something that worries me a lot. It’s something we saw with Shea McClellin and it’s a big reason why he struggled when he was playing linebacker.

I mean maybe you play him at SAM and just let him set the edge, but I think he’s a MIKE and a MIKE who bites on misdirection is bad for business.

Those plays were against college double or triple option, something rarely seen in NFL.  Plus, you dont know if DC had him on an assignment vs option.  Somethng most DCs do at lower levels.  He was likely supposed to run straight at one guy whether he had ball or not by design.

• Like 1

Wynn was OT in college who is likely going to be moved to guard because of arm length.  

Why couldnt you draft Orlando Brown to play tackle and move him to guard if he cant hack it?  

Knock on Brown is he is slow with weak upper body from combine testing alone.  However, film shows him making all his blocks.  He is so big and long it is really hard to run around him or through him.  By time you get around him play is over.  He doesnt have to have Joe Thomas feet.  May be a trust the tape issue. Knock I have on him is he just stops playing after 4.0 seconds or so.  I think that's his way of conserving energy at 6'8 350 though.

Everybody has Wynn in first round, not sure Brown is the worse player of the two and you may be able to get him in late second or even third now.  He may be better and its likely Brown could play one of OT positions.  Then you have a player with the coveted O line position versatilty.  Seems most OTs can play guard, but very few guards can play OT.  

I bet Brown is better than Massie and we are paper thin at OT.  If you could move around board and get Brown in mid to late second I think you would be getting a great value. Better than spending a 1 on Wynn.   

Edited by dll2000

49 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Those plays were against college double or triple option, something rarely seen in NFL.  Plus, you dont know if DC had him on an assignment vs option.  Somethng most DCs do at lower levels.  He was likely supposed to run straight at one guy whether he had ball or not by design.

Plus Shea was a mid round 3-4 rush LB talent who was asked to play 4-3 DE and couldn't.  Just a stupid move by Bears who likely ruined his career. 

He did transition to a decent ILB and that was probably his true position.  Had he played it in college and started there in NFL he would be remembered more fondly.

Edited by dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Why couldnt you draft Orlando Brown to play tackle and move him to guard if he cant hack it?  

Knock on Brown is he is slow with weak upper body from combine testing alone.  However, film shows him making all his blocks.  He is so big and long it is really hard to run around him or through him.  By time you get around him play is over.  He doesnt have to have Joe Thomas feet.  May be a trust the tape issue. Knock I have on him is he just stops playing after 4.0 seconds or so.  I think that's his way of conserving energy at 6'8 350 though.

The offenses in KC valued mobility a lot. There were a ton of pulls, crash blocks, and they try to get to the 2nd level. That is why I feel Brown is a mismatch OT/OG for us. In a power scheme like we had before sure, but with Hiestand we have someone who can develop technique. But Brown's lack of athleticism would be a detractor to how variable the offense is hoping to be I'd bet.

Maybe if he was able to get down to 320 he would be more mobile, I just don't know if he would be trusted enough to lose the weight and keep it off.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Wynn was OT in college who is likely going to be moved to guard because of arm length.  

Everybody has Wynn in first round, not sure Brown is the worse player of the two and you may be able to get him in late second or even third now.  He may be better and its likely Brown could play one of OT positions.  Then you have a player with the coveted O line position versatilty.  Seems most OTs can play guard, but very few guards can play OT.  

I bet Brown is better than Massie and we are paper thin at OT.  If you could move around board and get Brown in mid to late second I think you would be getting a great value. Better than spending a 1 on Wynn.   

Brown might be the worst prospect in the draft and is a RT only, which means he has virtually no value.  And yet you think hes going to better than Massie?  I understand looking to upgrade the position, but you have to...you know...actually upgrade.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Brown might be the worst prospect in the draft and is a RT only, which means he has virtually no value.  And yet you think hes going to better than Massie?  I understand looking to upgrade the position, but you have to...you know...actually upgrade.

Worst prospect in the draft...? Ummm...

Not really. I can see why you'd feel he wasn't a significant enough improvement over Massie for them to consider that move, even though I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.

But--worst prospect? o.O

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I keep going back and forth on Davenport. He's a freaking brute off the EDGE but God damnit he plays tall SO much it's driving me insane.

He's a guy who I think ends up being decent to good, but just a poor fit for us... He needs to go to a 4-3 team and play end.  I mean he came on strong during the Senior Bowl after a pretty meh week of practice, which was huge to see.... but given his slower 3 cone, and what I've seen on tape...  I'd be terrified of seeing him trying to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Worst prospect in the draft...? Ummm...

Not really. I can see why you'd feel he wasn't a significant enough improvement over Massie for them to consider that move, even though I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.

But--worst prospect? o.O

Yes, worst prospect.  As a RT only that makes his value incredibly low, so that moves him down the board quite a ways, then factor in that he turned in the worst combine performance in history.  Watch the tape.  He gets by on size and power only and his feet are awful.  In the NFL he is going to routinely get his qb killed.  He doesnt have the balance to handle inside moves and a simple speed rush is going to destroy him

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I keep going back and forth on Davenport. He's a freaking brute off the EDGE but God damnit he plays tall SO much it's driving me insane.

He hasnt even learned how to play the game yet.  Hes a raw piece of clay.  I understand the feeling.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

He's a guy who I think ends up being decent to good, but just a poor fit for us... He needs to go to a 4-3 team and play end.  I mean he came on strong during the Senior Bowl after a pretty meh week of practice, which was huge to see.... but given his slower 3 cone, and what I've seen on tape...  I'd be terrified of seeing him trying to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

He's more athletic than Aldon Smith...