Post-Draft Talk

RaidersAreOne

What do you grade our draft?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you grade our draft?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah, he's gonna be a boom or bust candidate for sure. He's definitely got some hype building. 

What really intrigues me is whether he can actually rise into 1st/2nd round status with a big year. Not so much for him, but for another transfer QB with all the physical talent in the world who ideally would declare in 2025- DJ Uigalelei. 

I feel like there's been a bit of a stigma on guys who didn't pan out at big programs like Michigan or Clemson or Alabama that go elsewhere and find great success. Guys who transfer program to program unilaterally or move up (think Hooker and VT to Tennessee prior to last year's run, Nix from Auburn to Oregon, Williams from Oklahoma to USC, etc) seem to get a bit less scrutiny. I get why, I just don't always think it's warranted. 

When Milton chose Tennessee and DJ chose Oregon St, they were decidedly steps down. Could give some insight to how the new transfer and NIL stuff will impact draft status. Obviously not a perfect science as guys like Hurts transferred to another big program but didn't really raise his draft stock- but I feel like he was a bit more of a project than guys like Milton or DJU. 

Wild what all can be gleaned from things like that- draft status impact, projections on where guys may or may not transfer to, where guys may avoid signing with altogether, etc etc. 

Yeah it was pretty interesting when Milton first came over. He frustrated the hell out of a lot of us UT fans and lost the starting job quickly to Hooker. Could not hit an intermediate route to save his life it felt like, but as it stands now there is cautious optimism that he could have grown over his time backing up Hookerand could be in store for a hell of a year. I think you're dead on in it being a good case study for what we can see with these hyper athletic QBs in the future that go one place, need more seasoning, and transfer elsewhere. This could go a good ways along with DJ the next year in kind of easing that stigma. Will be very interesting to keep tabs on during the next couple of college seasons.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To me shows discipline. They had guys ranked higher down with other picks. Didn't force it. OT was pretty soft in this class, so it checks out. 

That's true. I guess the old Raider way would've been reaching for a need since we didn't get our guy the round before. It actually does kinda show they went bpa, or else they would've definitely been getting a tackle right after that. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

359 on 6'8 worth of dude doesn't concern me that much. 

But how next level dumb do you gotta be to tell a bunch of NFL people, in the draft process, your dream is to play in a different league, much less a different sport? 

I feel like he's going to Isaiah Wynn and just flame out of the league pretty quickly. Cost himself some good money, too, if that indeed happens. 

19 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I want to like McCarthy. I just don't see "it" with him for some reason. 

Same. Will be interesting to see if he take a step forward this season. He has the tools, needs to put it together now consistently. 

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Speaking of Michigan QBs. Former QB Joe Milton III takes over for Tennessee this season and oh boy is he going hyped in here......

He's Anthony Richardson playing in Hendon Hooker's offense. 

So he's Anthony Richardson with a better than 54% completion rating? 

Or is he Hendon Hooker with a sub 54% completion rating? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Speaking of Michigan QBs. Former QB Joe Milton III takes over for Tennessee this season and oh boy is he going hyped in here......

He's Anthony Richardson playing in Hendon Hooker's offense. 

He’s way less mobile though 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

So he's Anthony Richardson with a better than 54% completion rating? 

Or is he Hendon Hooker with a sub 54% completion rating? 

The former. He's big, tall, athletic with a wow arm and will put up monster numbers in a gimmicky offense. People will be calling him a first round pick through the season. 

Tennessee offense is not gimmicky, it's just not pro style. Qbs still make reads and if you actually watch any Volunteer football consistently you can see the growth Milton has made since getting there. Easily a better passer than Richardson right now than Richardson was coming out.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:28 PM, ronjon1990 said:

359 on 6'8 worth of dude doesn't concern me that much. 

But how next level dumb do you gotta be to tell a bunch of NFL people, in the draft process, your dream is to play in a different league, much less a different sport? 

I feel like he's going to Isaiah Wynn and just flame out of the league pretty quickly. Cost himself some good money, too, if that indeed happens. 

Wow, that is some next level ignorance or naivety or arrogance, not sure which. I was wondering why he dropped so far. Isn’t he too fat for the NBA though, I don’t watch basketball myself but thought those guys were tall but skinny?

Anyone know why Ringo dropped so far too, he was often mocked in the first round way back when…….?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Wow, that is some next level ignorance or naivety or arrogance, not sure which. I was wondering why he dropped so far. Isn’t he too fat for the NBA though, I don’t watch basketball myself but thought those guys were tall but skinny?

Anyone know why Ringo dropped so far too, he was often mocked in the first round way back when…….?

I don't watch basketball either - the only guy that comes into my mind with these measurements is Shaquille O'Neal (7'0 320-ish lbs) and he's more like the exception of the rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Ringo was not that good at Georgia. A lot of bad tape. He was expected to blow the doors off the combine and was just okay relative to the hype. Most think he needs to move to safety. If there was a player on that UGA defense that was the weak link, it was often Ringo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ringo was not that good at Georgia. A lot of bad tape. He was expected to blow the doors off the combine and was just okay relative to the hype. Most think he needs to move to safety. If there was a player on that UGA defense that was the weak link, it was often Ringo. 

I can see that perspective though I think his projection could be really, really high if he learns some finesse and improves his technique. Great pick where he went I feel!

• Like 1