New York Giants Undrafted Free Agents
Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia
Habakkuk Baldonado, DE, Pittsburgh

New York Jets Undrafted Free Agents
Kahlef Hailassie, CB, Kentucky

Seattle Seahawks Undrafted Free Agents
Jake Bobo, WR, UCLA

• Like 1

Thank god this draft was incdedible because I dont feel nearly as excited about this UDFA class as last years.

However, I can see a path to the roster for a few of them. And, there may still be 4 more announcements. We have only had 8 UDFA's announced so far and had room for 12. A bunch of the names we have heard are just camp invites, not UDFAs.

Ill start by saying that as a team with a pretty big WR need, we really missed the boat on some UDFAs there. Demus was the prime objective. CJ Johnson from East Carolina is like a poor mans AJ Brown. 225lb hands catcher who is a bull with the ball in his hands. Xavier Gipson from Stephen F Austin is a dynamic speed slot type who would have offered a chance at upgrading the teturn games. Some people liked Landers. I dont see it, but at least hes a nice h/w/s lotto ticket.

The eagles paid a lot of money for Ngata and I have no idea what they see there. He never really flashed at all in his college career. He bust through and through.

I do see a path for Haselwood as a Pascal type. I dont think he will ever develop to the point where you are comfortable with him starting in case of injury. But I think he can be an effective 4th WR who comes in to block, or maybe effectively runs the god awful WR screens we love to run because he will run guys over. Hes physical and may be gritty enough to earn a spot, and earn love from this city.

I wish we got someone with higher upside though. Quez can be improved, and we have no reliable backup to any of the starters. 

Reid is a really nice project for Stoutland. I was really shocked and disappointed they traded one of their late picks with Vorhees and Witt still on the board. But this guy may be just that type of project.

And the Punter... sounds like he has shanks, and no directional ability. But he has the most exciting attribute (huge leg) and you hope the rest can be developed. 

Finally, that Toa RB looks like a waste of time, but CJ Cole, while I dont think he ever comes close to sniffing a roster spot, or even practice squad- his style reminds me quite a bit of Swift the way he has tacklers just slip off of him, and his contact balance. Thats a solid camp invite. On the right team, that guy might have a shot at cracking a roster.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Thank god this draft was incdedible because I dont feel nearly as excited about this UDFA class as last years.

Thank god this dinner was incredibly... because those after dinner mints weren't really it. The other place we went last week had WAY better complementary mints.

LOL

• Like 4

I am not very familiar with the UDFAs that were signed besides Ricks but I'm glad they added a punter to compete with Siposs. I'd like to see more competition there. As far as WR goes, I think the Eagles would rather add a veteran WR than try to rely on UDFA to step up. The Eagles only had 6 picks so you can't address everything in the draft. They still have like 4 spots open on their 90 man roster, so they could look to add some vets right now at LB, WR, and TE. I think MLB is the biggest need right now for this team, then WR depth and TE depth. I am interested to see who some potential roster casualties will be at those positions. I am sure Howie will continue to make moves to improve at those positions.

54 minutes ago, Danger said:

Thank god this dinner was incredibly... because those after dinner mints weren't really it. The other place we went last week had WAY better complementary mints.

LOL

Some people are big enough fans to care about more than the main course. 

8 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think they got high upside players who need coaching. I think that they have a chance to do that with a good lot of them, esp:

Ben VanSumeren, LB, Michigan State
Jadon Haselwood, WR, Arkansas
Mekhi Garner, CB, LSU
Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama
Joseph Ngata, WR, Clemson

Edited by FerrisBueller

53 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

I think they got high upside players who need coaching. I think that they have a chance to do that with a good lot of them, esp:

Mekhi Garner, CB, LSU
Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama

Yeah a lot of athletic upside. Bring ‘em in and see was it a coaching problem or a them problem.

Or like Ricks it was mostly just health.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Mekhi Garner, CB, LSU
Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama

Ricks is a guy I forgot to list as someone with a clear path to the roster in my post. He might be the best/highest upside of all of them.

Watched a video of him vs DeVonta Smith in college. Not bad at all. 

Every scouting report you can find online is almost all positive. He sounds like a 2nd or 3rd round talent. All he has ever done is play well when hes been on the field.

I get his 40 time wasnt good, but with his length, and pedigree he seems like soemone who should still get drafted. Im guessing what ultimately sunk him completely was his 3 cone.

Going out on a limb, but with Ringo, and one of Jobe/Ricks, we may have our next set of starting CBs despite most of us drooling over Witherspoon and/or Gonzalez and spending a high pick in the draft on one.

I think Ngata is a complete waste. Hes never shown anything at all in his college career. Haselwood is somewhat exciting as a potential Pascal type player. I had fairly low expectations based on his 4.66 40 time, but today I read that he also recently cracked in to the 4.4s so maybe there is some more potential there than just a Pascal type.

VanSumeren seems like another Shaun Bradley type project. Obviously in a different dimension athletically, but I mean that in the sense that they were both milti-year projects to try to teach how to play the position. Bradly had no instincts and may never be useful on defense. VanSumeren has even less LB experience. He has a lot of learning to do. Maybe his athleticism helps him make the team as a core STs guy and gives him time to develop in the defense. Im not super excited about him because he seems like a long way from being a true football player rather than just an athlete. We could really use some LB depth right now, not years from now. 

It is a good group, and there should be at least 4 more names announced that we havent seen yet. I guess mostly my disappointment comes from not getting one of the really high upside WRs. Namely Demus. But CJ Johnson would have made me very happy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Haselwood is somewhat exciting as a potential Pascal type player. I had fairly low expectations based on his 4.66 40 time, but today I read that he also recently cracked in to the 4.4s so maybe there is some more potential there than just a Pascal type.

Should have signed the higher upside guy in Matt Landers.

47 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

VanSumeren seems like another Shaun Bradley type project. Obviously in a different dimension athletically, but I mean that in the sense that they were both milti-year projects to try to teach how to play the position. Bradly had no instincts and may never be useful on defense. VanSumeren has even less LB experience. He has a lot of learning to do. Maybe his athleticism helps him make the team as a core STs guy and gives him time to develop in the defense. Im not super excited about him because he seems like a long way from being a true football player rather than just an athlete. We could really use some LB depth right now, not years from now. 

Kinda the same approach we took with an athletic 6'8" 370lb Rugby player who never played OT  like, ever!

There's nothing wrong with collecting athletes with "potential" as a UDFA. UDFA aren't meant to make the 53 man roster most times, those end up being your PS players.

Are there exceptions,  absolutely but whether or not   VanSumeren can make the 2023 roster, doesn't mean you don't take a flier, swing for the fences, hope you strike gold.

I'm actually intrigued. Just not as hopeful because I know for a fact  D.J. Eliot is most likely not the LB version of Stout! One can hope though. 🤞

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2