2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Watched that maxx show with Gardner aka gard dogg lol and they talked about stafford being the ultimate guy. Wasted almost a decade in det but he got his ring in the end which most likely pushed him into hof status. Most don’t get the ring in the end. Players have more say then any time in history. Bears actually built a good team for a rookie. Carolina didn’t.    Washington is goofy. I’ll never forget det oc saying something like wash was a bunch of basketball guys thinking they know football when he declined the hc

Think so? I have a difficult time with it. 

He got the ring. But was he ever consistently a top 5 QB? Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Manning, Roethlisberger, Warner, and Brees all belong above Stafford, imo, due to multiple rings + the other accolades. 

Stafford still falls into Rivers/Ryan + a ring territory. That would make 10 QBs from an overlapping era that are HoF QBs? Discounting Ryan and Rivers, still 7? Seems like an awful lot to me. 

To his credit, Stafford should end this season top 10 in yards and TDs and has time for another ring.

But not a whole lot of winning and only 2 Pro Bowls? No All Pro seasons, no 2nd team All Pro seasons, never led yards or TDs, no MVPs. In that regard, he's essentially Joe Flacco with fewer winning seasons and a bit better longevity. Flacco hasn't consistently started in 6 years and sits:

12111 yards behind Stafford (2018 yards per season) 

112 TDs behind Stafford (18.6 TDs per season). 

That doesn't seem unmanageable to me, though Flacco probably winds up +/- 25 TDs short of Stafford overall as I don't see him getting 18/19 per year over that span. Flacco, however, rarely had the weapons or offensive scheming that Stafford has had. 

Flacco has a 103-82  to Stafford's 98-107 W/L record, again despite hardly playing for the last half decade. 

Idk...I just don't see Stafford that way myself. When you really dive into the stats and accolades, what other than more years playing does he have on a Joe Flacco, who isn't sniffing the Hall? 

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I get you. Without knowing the details, hard to gauge. For example If Washington led him to believe he was their pick and it'd be a meeting with him alone only to have all of them show, I'd be a little upset at that to. 

And on that note, it was his agent that was upset mostly. I didn't see comments from JD himself (unless I missed them). He seems like a humble guy, so not making much of it. You and I would agree if this was Caleb, it'd be another notch in the belt. 

Oh dear Lord. I'm genuinely amazed that he's even still considered QB1. 

The overall performances aren't there and it's all about "if he puts it together....(finally)" with him. 

Dude is a walking locker room cancer agent. He makes Russ seem likeable, and that's saying something. Him succeeding to any meaningful degree is honestly going to be a shock to me. The physical talent is apparent, but dude is a headache to the nth degree for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Fautanu would be my pick assuming the top 4 QBs have gone. 

Yeah he's a premium player. Very very polished and able to handle speed. I think Arnold/Fautanu are my pick at 13 if we can't get the top 4 qb's. Arnold is a little better IMHO, but both would be great value at 13.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Welcome to draft week. Seemed like a far far away event after the combine 

Looking forward to seeing how things actually play out. Doing those mock drafts online and seeing how people rise and fall has been interesting. Sweat has now dropped into the 3rd round many times and he was late 1st early 2nd many times before the DWI. Will be interesting if teams follow suit which for a 2 down DT he usually would be a 3rd 4th in today's NFL. 

Penn St CB King has fallen from 2nd a few months ago to 5th this week...

QB's have moved up but will they really come draft day?!? Could be the most exciting draft if they are the targets and star players at other positions start slipping. 

So do we make a move for a QB or build a team, that's what I'll be interested in seeing. T/CB @ 13 or QB reach?!?  At 44 what we missed at 13? Do we get a back up RB in the 3rd/4th or later on as it's not a need but might be a good value/plan to have insurance in case of injuries. Take a S @77 as we might need two next year...So many ways to go but I'm not wanting a DT til late 2nd as we drafted guys already and got one of the best DT's in FA so... I'll be in Vegas Thursday and not sure if I'll watch or just see what happens after the fact. Will be interesting and I'd love a QB but am good with a solid starters if the QB's are costing too much to trade up. 

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fautanu's RAS is absurd. Yes he is a little short, but he's not small by any means at 320 (75th percentile for OT) and he moved extremely well.

Not too worried about his height, should give him a advantage with leverage and besides he's got the length needed in those long arms. Love the movement skills this guy has, and would definitely be happy if we grab him at 13. My question is can he play RT? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fautanu's RAS is absurd. Yes he is a little short, but he's not small by any means at 320 (75th percentile for OT) and he moved extremely well.

I trust Telesco not to screw up round one at least.

The T and CB options are going to be great at 13. Give me one of Fuaga, Fautanu, Fashanu, Mitchell or Arnold and I am stoked.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah he's a premium player. Very very polished and able to handle speed. I think Arnold/Fautanu are my pick at 13 if we can't get the top 4 qb's. Arnold is a little better IMHO, but both would be great value at 13.

If not Fautanu it’s Arnold as well for me. I like the versatility Fautanu brings. I could understand CB as we can get day 1 starting OT/G later in the draft, not sure we can with CB.

If we went Fautanu, It would be with us getting Howard CB in FA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I trust Telesco not to screw up round one at least.

The T and CB options are going to be great at 13. Give me one of Fuaga, Fautanu, Fashanu, Mitchell or Arnold and I am stoked.

Hot take I am not as high on Quinton Mitchell as the masses, especially in off coverage. He’s not super smooth imho and will get flagged a lot in the NFL. I think Wiggins>Mitchell but Arnold is safer than Wiggins in terms of floor, tackling/physicality. 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He got the ring. But was he ever consistently a top 5 QB? Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Manning, Roethlisberger, Warner, and Brees all belong above Stafford, imo, due to multiple rings + the other accolades. 

Stafford still falls into Rivers/Ryan + a ring territory. That would make 10 QBs from an overlapping era that are HoF QBs? Discounting Ryan and Rivers, still 7? Seems like an awful lot to me. 

To his credit, Stafford should end this season top 10 in yards and TDs and has time for another ring.

But not a whole lot of winning and only 2 Pro Bowls? No All Pro seasons, no 2nd team All Pro seasons, never led yards or TDs, no MVPs. In that regard, he's essentially Joe Flacco with fewer winning seasons and a bit better longevity. Flacco hasn't consistently started in 6 years and sits:

That doesn't seem unmanageable to me, though Flacco probably winds up +/- 25 TDs short of Stafford overall as I don't see him getting 18/19 per year over that span. Flacco, however, rarely had the weapons or offensive scheming that Stafford has had. 

Flacco has a 103-82  to Stafford's 98-107 W/L record, again despite hardly playing for the last half decade. 

Idk...I just don't see Stafford that way myself. When you really dive into the stats and accolades, what other than more years playing does he have on a Joe Flacco, who isn't sniffing the Hall? 

Interesting concept I haven’t look into stats w/l comparisons 

rivers comp is interesting and worth a look flacco also

i think all qbs have some diva in them especially the younger ones. Watching Caleb interview and he’s breed to be #1 pick. Dude had every possible advantage given to him from trainers at early ages etc etc. I don’t think they want to waste a lifetime of development commitment and sacrifice only to be ruined by a draft team in shambles. 

I don’t like it but I understand if they want to have a say in where they’re drafted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

At that height and weight with those measurables he'd be an all pro guard for 10 years.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I agree with the bold.  We are in the heaviest passing era of the NFL ever.  QBs throwing for 50-60K yards during their starting careers will become more normal over the next 5-10 years.  Now all pros and pro bowls mean more.  passing TDs will mean more.  Wins will mean more.  Stafford's career with Detroit and his W-L record, lack of all pros and pro bowls, will be why he doesn't get in.  Was he ever the best QB of any year?  No.  Brees was, Manning was, Brady clearly was.  If Stafford gets in then that means we will have some years where 2-3 QBs are getting in all at once.  And I just don't see that happening.  Stafford is a "Hall of Very Good" player.  Not HOF.  If he gets in, it will be because he had an elite coach and arguably the greatest defensive player over the past 5 years.  Aaron Donald, Von Miller, and the rest of the DL won that SB.  Cinci's OL got rag dolled that game.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

You could never rely on Flacco to throw the ball all game long without making the big mistake, he never really carried the team for that reason. Flacco was backed by record breaking defenses and a strong running game. He did seem to elevate his game some in playoffs, but he never really took the next step as their defense started to decline of him elevating them on offense. Hell I even called it this past season when Flacco had a bit of rejuvenation, I called the big mistake coming in the playoffs because he was throwing to much and could rarely have an amazing passing game without the hiccup.

• Like 2