Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2023 (All up)

goldfishwars

I'm genuinely surprised the Jets haven't popped up yet. They had a fairly small draft and didn't really get a lot of wow factor in using their only day 2 pick on a center(even if he was a needed position)

Maybe Israel Abanikonda and the TE Kuntz are explosive enough players to help push the grade up the board a little?

• Like 1

I'm fine with that assessment for the Ravens. It wasn't a strong class of prospects and they only had 5 picks. Hard to produce some super flashy haul under those conditions. I'm not someone who counts trades for established players using draft capital as a substitute for that pick in draft grading either, so the Roquan Smith deal shouldn't factor in. 

Flowers is a great addition to the Ravens offense, Trenton Simpson was a pure BPA pick and will replace Patrick Queen in a year, Tavius Robinson is a classic Ravens middle round EDGE selection, Kelly is a solid depth addition at CB, Laulu is a developmental OL piece, and Voorhees is a low cost shot at a possible starting option in 24'. A solid class for the Ravens but not some on paper transformative group that needs a ton of celebration. 

5 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm genuinely surprised the Jets haven't popped up yet. They had a fairly small draft and didn't really get a lot of wow factor in using their only day 2 pick on a center(even if he was a needed position)

Maybe Israel Abanikonda and the TE Kuntz are explosive enough players to help push the grade up the board a little?

I'm not surprised; they had about an average level draft, relative to everyone else. They shouldn't be this low.

Carter Warren is probably the best pick the Jets made. He's actually a potential starting caliber LT. Warren, Abanikanda, and Kuntz made for a solid day 3.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not surprised; they had about an average level draft, relative to everyone else. They shouldn't be this low.

Carter Warren is probably the best pick the Jets made. He's actually a potential starting caliber LT. Warren, Abanikanda, and Kuntz made for a solid day 3.

Reports were the Jets would've taken Gibbs if he was there. So we either ruined or saved their first round for them.

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

Reports were the Jets would've taken Gibbs if he was there. So we either ruined or saved their first round for them.

At 15? They just traded up in the 2nd for Breece Hall last year. I do not believe that.

13 minutes ago, General Tso said:

GMs do weird things all the time. NY took almost the whole 10 minutes, reports are that they were scrambling to trade down.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2023-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Friday

Take this as you will.

Yeah, I don't believe these rumors. I have it on good authority from a Giants source I really trust that the Giants were desperately trying to move up into the middle of the round, but for a WR, not Jack Campbell. They loved Zay Flowers. They couldn't get a deal done though, then watched JSN, Johnston, and Flowers go one after another. After that, they had 2 last big time grades left- Addison and Banks. Addison went the very next pick, so the Giants moved up to 24 with the Jaguars (who everyone knew were looking to move down) to guarantee they got Banks.

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, I don't believe these rumors. I have it on good authority from a Giants source I really trust that the Giants were desperately trying to move up into the middle of the round, but for a WR, not Jack Campbell. They loved Zay Flowers. They couldn't get a deal done though, then watched JSN, Johnston, and Flowers go one after another. After that, they had 2 last big time grades left- Addison and Banks. Addison went the very next pick, so the Giants moved up to 24 with the Jaguars (who everyone knew were looking to move down) to guarantee they got Banks.

How do you define in the running? Implying they may have traded back into the round after the guy was already picked?  And I bet there are many prospects that break the hearts of "some on the staff" in every war room. It just seems like latching onto one draft scenario that in fact could be pieces of several when the team probably lays out at least dozen what ifs.

I give that blurb a Millen grade.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I have it on good authority from a Giants source I really trust that the Giants were desperately trying to move up into the middle of the round, but for a WR, not Jack Campbell. They loved Zay Flowers. They couldn't get a deal done though,

DeCosta the Ravens GM said they had multiple teams calling looking to trade up for Pick 22, but that they weren't interested because of the WR talent that would be left after a trade down. So presumably there were multiple teams looking to get Flowers or Addison after that WR run started. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For the record - I’m bracing to be hurt, because I know you weren’t a fan of trading up for Will Anderson. 

Just don’t hurt me too bad, OK @goldfishwars?

Looking at Days 2 and 3, I think the Texans might be my favorite draft.  To'oto'o was a steal that late, and so were Patterson and Hill.  I think me and @Scoundrel were the sole members of the Dylan Horton fanclub, but good to see the Texans there with us.  Scruggs was a little early and they overpaid for a pass rusher, but yeah, they killed it.

Colts too.  Which I hate.

• Like 3